News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Sorry bud, if you don't think there will be a heavy population of families then you're in serious trouble. Every upper middle class parent with a school aged Star Wars fan is going to be looking for a reservation here.
With respect, I'm as "plugged in" to the Star Wars fan base as a person can be, and you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes that fan base up due to the fact that you have a son of a certain age. The number of hardcore OG Star Wars fans from the 70s and 80s (and even the prequel era kids like me) is VASTLY larger than the new BB-8 and Kylo generation.

We buy more merch. We buy more Blu-rays. We travel for conventions. And we have disposable income.

The_Jobu

That's not the goal. They don't WANT to make it big because that'll compromise the experience.

I don't think it will compromise the experience for those who want the experience. Plus, they get all those extra millions of dollars and everyone's happy, everybody wins, Disney is richer than astronauts. Makes sense to me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wow you guys really aren't getting it. This isn't a product designed for kids. Yes, kids will be welcome, but they're not the target. This is for the convention crowd.

Don't agree - Disney will fall back on it's roots here and kids are a core piece of the demo. There is a reason things like Jedi Academy are so successful... and the kids fuel the merch engine. The key (and difficulty) is accommodating both the adult fans and the kids. Being a controlled environment, Disney could even go as far as they have on the ships with taking kids away from the parents.. but that wasn't part of the pitch (or at least not covered). The experience pitched was VERY much one aimed at appeasing both young and old. I expect plenty of 'jedi academy' and 'BBBoutique' type experiences wrapped into this. I do not expect anything gritty like Rouge One was.. and much more like A New Hope in terms of grit vs saga.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Blue milk only.

A Blue Russian!

WRT: kids... It will work. The source material is mostly G-rated. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Jedi Academy type of class happen. The cruise ships have already been providing SW-related entertainment.

The big MLARP I helped run was based on Star Trek. The children tended to be the better roleplayers!

The_Jobu

With respect, I'm as "plugged in" to the Star Wars fan base as a person can be, and you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes that fan base up due to the fact that you have a son of a certain age. The number of hardcore OG Star Wars fans from the 70s and 80s (and even the prequel era kids like me) is VASTLY larger than the new BB-8 and Kylo generation.

We buy more merch. We buy more Blu-rays. We travel for conventions. And we have disposable income.

I don't want to misinterpret you, but are you saying the hardcore fanbase is larger than the casual fanbase or just spends more money in total?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm asking for something? I must have missed that.
I want them to tear down something? No, don't think I said that.

That's exactly what you are doing when you keep saying they should compromise the vision to accomodate some people who really aren't into the vision.

A ride inside a theme park you've paid entry to has little comparison to living in a resort, so I'm going to continue to disregard whatever point you were trying to make there.
Because you continue to fail to grasp that this isn't a resort as you know it. This is a 360 immersive experience that isn't for just a few minutes like a theme park ride. If you don't want that experience... ITS NOT FOR YOU. So instead of trying to tear that experience up to accommodate your curiosity.. realize.. they will just redirect you to something else.

The_Jobu

That's exactly what you are doing when you keep saying they should compromise the vision to accomodate some people who really aren't into the vision.

Because you continue to fail to grasp that this isn't a resort as you know it. This is a 360 immersive experience that isn't for just a few minutes like a theme park ride. If you don't want that experience... ITS NOT FOR YOU. So instead of trying to tear that experience up to accommodate your curiosity.. realize.. they will just redirect you to something else.

I'm not saying they should do anything. Nor am I saying they must, or they will compromise anything. Just take a moment to read what was actually written and we can all hold hands in agreement while we throw our money at Disney.

I'm glad you dropped the roller coaster analogy at least.

The_Jobu

If anyone wants to watch and not participate, I guarantee you'll see hundreds of hours of the events on YouTube.

What are you saying here? There will be lots of footage in general, or people wouldn't pay through the nose to watch something live instead of on youtube?

If your saying to your little one they can just watch the other kids play with lightsabers rather than join them while Mom and Dad watch from the sidelines, that's a tough sell.

durangojim

Serious question: Will the majority of superfans be able to afford this If this costs between $5000-$10000 for a 2-3 day experience? Not being presumptuous but I really don't know that demographic.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
What are you saying here? There will be lots of footage in general

Yes.

If you want to get an idea of what it's all about but not participate, we live in an age where people can't but put all their personal experiences online for everyone to see.

The_Jobu

Serious question: Will the majority of superfans be able to afford this If this costs between $5000-$10000 for a 2-3 day experience? Not being presumptuous but I really don't know that demographic.

I'm not sure the majority could, but I think Disney would be able to find "enough" with the very well off providing repeat business.

Just an opinion though.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Put things in perspective.. the audience that pays $700+ for skip the line access at a Star Wars convention. Or spends hundreds or thousands on costumes...

Budget isn't a problem for that group. It's more if it's tuned into their level or not... or if it will be too 'disney'.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

I don't see it going over $2,000. And many superfans spend that if they're flying to a weekend convention. They'll drop $500 for a custom light saber.

SW came out 40 years ago. Superfans own houses and have grandchildren.

Bairstow

I'm guessing most people with this kind of money will be British tourists.

... which is fine by me. Their accents will help with the immersion.

The_Jobu

Yes.

If you want to get an idea of what it's all about but not participate, we live in an age where people can't but put all their personal experiences online for everyone to see.

I agree, there will be tons of videos on Youtube.

I don't think youtube is going to suffice for the people that would enjoy seeing things and being surrounded by them.

Kamikaze

I don't see it going over $2,000. And many superfans spend that if they're flying to a weekend convention. They'll drop $500 for a custom light saber.

Its going to be $2k minimum. Take that to the bank right now. Thats $500/night for two adults for a 2 day stay. (500x2x2). They will not give you a discount if you're staying alone (double occupancy). Add two kids, thats more like $2500-$2800 for 2 days. Add another day and then you're talking $3000-$4200. And thats the absolute least I can see it being. That $500/night/person was the number from the survey and one of the insiders (forget who) popped in and said that the 'real' numbers were higher.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom