Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Sir_Cliff

Personally, I don't mind the new Mickey. I think all of the characters looks great but Goofy. Goofy just doesn't look right.
Yes, I'm not sure what is the deal with Goofy in those cartoons. I started watching the Potatoland short where he's talking at the beginning and has stink lines coming out of his mouth wondering whether he's now supposed to be kind of gross.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To be honest I'm super excited for this ride because of both the optimism from the Imagineers, and just the innovation it's self.

Anytime a ride closes, I just look at the attraction replacing it for what it is. Once GMR is closed it won't be coming back so we might as well get excited for what's to come.
Yeah. That's what the buzz was like when Alien Encounter closed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The only reason the "mickey room" is currently in it is because the tornado effect they wanted to use didn't fit and didn't work (why the room is a tight turn with a funnel in the middle), so instead of doing an Oz tie in, they just went with fantasia slapped in there.

Not exactly. The tornado worked perfectly.

An extra fee was needed to use more Oz and they had a fall out over it.

Brer Oswald

How long had Disney been using the Mickey design in the second image? I think it dates back to either 2002 or 2003 since it used to be the default image of Mickey pre-Clubhouse look.
I believe you are right. It was sometime in the early 2000s (after House of Mouse maybe?). It's a variation on the Mickey we were used to from the 90s, and that Mickey looks most similar to the Mickey from the early 40s, which I think is the best Mickey Mouse look with his pupil eyes. As the 50s approached, Mickey's model (as did his cartoons), rapidly declined in quality. IMO, the best mouse design was his classic one with the pie eyes/dot eyes, with the design from Fantasia and the 1939/1940 comics coming in right behind.

Brer Oswald

Remember when Mickey and Minnie briefly had oval shaped ears in the early 1940's and sometimes seen with mouse teeth? This is more notable in the short where Mickey is golfing and Mickey's Surprise Party. Can somebody please make a screenshot of Mickey or Minnie with mouse teeth from those shorts.
latest

Mickey-s-Birthday-Party-mickey-mouse-11499627-300-219.jpg

This is the best I can find, but I know what you mean.

Mabel Pines

although im not a huge fan of the new mickey shorts, i am really hopeful and excited about this ride. it may even make me start liking the shorts! the concept art reminds me more of the get a horse short film, which makes me feel infinitely better about this ride

Herbie

I've tried to book GMR fastpasses for the 13th. Apparently 4:30 is the latest time you can get them now. I really want to be there for the last ride of the night though I'm not sure how to accurately plan that. If you, like me, are devastated at this loss, and will be there on the last day, make sure to give your thanks to the CMs and preferably sing along to Chim Chim Cheree and Follow the Yellow Brick Road!

DrewmanS

But then we get that guy chiming in telling us that Pixar isn't a theme. I'm with you though. Putting in half a dozen busbar Pixar C-tickets would have been a nice alternative to Toy Story Land.
If they put in a ride like Mr. Toad's themed to Monster's Inc or Peter Pan themed to The Incredibles, I can only imagine the outrage over the lack of inovation, low capacity, and doing it on the cheap.

The_Jobu

It seems an odd choice to me.

I'll give it a chance once it opens but it's baffling. All they had to do was make it with the same tech and have it be Mickey through the ages and BAM, homerun, everyone's happy. I can't understand why they're going with such an "obscure" look for Mickey's first ride.

rkleinlein

Second thought: all that wasted space in Hollywood Studios and they choose to take out the Great Movie Ride, one of the most important people-eaters in any park? R.I.P. capacity.

Exactly. I don't understand why they would gut a decent attraction to replace it with a new one. Gutting Ellen's Energy Adventure is one thing, but The Great Movie Ride, while not great and in need of some updating, is not an embarrassment.

I felt the same way about closing Maelstrom and replacing it with Frozen. Why not Frozen next door and keep Maelstrom? Whatever the savings of reconfiguring an existing space it's not worth the loss of of a decent attraction in a park with so few. Disney World is blessed with space. The problem is not enough attractions.

At the very least I hope they keep the Chinese theater exterior as the centerpiece to the park, but I won't hold my breath. Reestablishing a coherent park identity was clearly not of high importance in this decision.

JEANYLASER

This will be awesome! I love Mickey and Minnie but I wanted to know what kind of vehicle is train or a car in the Mickey and Minnie Runway railway?:confused:

Jeremy P

This will be awesome! I love Mickey and Minnie but I wanted to know what kind of vehicle is train or a car in the Mickey and Minnie Runway railway?:confused:

From the concept that was discussed, it sounds like you'll be in a vehicle that's made to look more like a theater box or something. I'm sure we have insiders who know more but that's sort of the way it seemed to me.

Brer Oswald

Why does everyone say it has to be "Mickey Through the Ages"? Sure, that may sound good on paper, but what story can you tell with that? Perhaps a story about time travel? Because that cliche hasn't been used enough :rolleyes:. Good on Disney for trying to tell a NEW story! I don't understand why everyone is so bash crazy on the new shorts. It's the closest we've ever had to a return of the golden age of Mickey! Watch more than four of them people! Like all Mickey Mouse cartoons, some are way better than others (Mickey Mouse playing the piano for 7 minutes straight isn't nearly as entertaining as, say, Mickey's Garden). I'm sure most people didn't notice that prior to these shorts, Mickey had been missing for more than a decade, and prior to that period, he was missing for even longer! Disney is finally doing something with him! Let's be honest here, current Disney would not even consider making a Mickey Mouse ride if it weren't for the success of these recent cartoons! It's understandable that you don't like the new design, but give the ride a chance, it'll probably be great. Besides, based on the concept art shown at the panel, the characters look cleaner and more professional than they do in the shorts!

Brer Oswald

I've tried to book GMR fastpasses for the 13th. Apparently 4:30 is the latest time you can get them now. I really want to be there for the last ride of the night though I'm not sure how to accurately plan that. If you, like me, are devastated at this loss, and will be there on the last day, make sure to give your thanks to the CMs and preferably sing along to Chim Chim Cheree and Follow the Yellow Brick Road!
Unfortunately, my planned trip to the Studios and dinner reservations are for the 14th...

Maeryk

Why does everyone say it has to be "Mickey Through the Ages"? Sure, that may sound good on paper, but what story can you tell with that? Perhaps a story about time travel? Because that cliche hasn't been used enough :rolleyes:. Good on Disney for trying to tell a NEW story! I don't understand why everyone is so bash crazy on the new shorts. It's the closest we've ever had to a return of the golden age of Mickey! Watch more than four of them people! Like all Mickey Mouse cartoons, some are way better than others (Mickey Mouse playing the piano for 7 minutes straight isn't nearly as entertaining as, say, Mickey's Garden). I'm sure most people didn't notice that prior to these shorts, Mickey had been missing for more than a decade, and prior to that period, he was missing for even longer! Disney is finally doing something with him! Let's be honest here, current Disney would not even consider making a Mickey Mouse ride if it weren't for the success of these recent cartoons! It's understandable that you don't like the new design, but give the ride a chance, it'll probably be great. Besides, based on the concept art shown at the panel, the characters look cleaner and more professional than they do in the shorts!

And Potato Land totally pokes fun at Disney. Which I find delightful. I like that the new cartoons are self aware, and referential.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom