Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Brer Oswald

How come everyone is so negative on the modern Mickey Mouse cartoons? His design is about as close as they've ever been to the early to mid 30s design from the comics and cartoons (which was the best design)! Were you expecting this?:
navigation_mickeymouseclubhouse_disneyjunior_7844134d.png

Honestly, as a Mouse purist, I wouldn't even want the following:
c8cf6ee7bd9015696b438fadd8d9fed0--mickey-mouse-pictures-la-star.jpg

Honestly, look at the post that @Jones14 made, those two designs aren't THAT different, and they are the best designs. Also keep in mind that these shorts are known for their classic cartoon and Disney movie references, so this:
MV5BYmUwNDdmN2UtYjcxYS00MjFiLWI0YTAtOThlMTEyYmYzMDQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMzMzc0MjM@._V1_UY268_CR94,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

may not seem so out of place for the ride facade (yes, it's from Gala Premiere).

Casper Gutman

So just to review, the "great studios makeover" is the addition of SWL (very good), the addition of TSL (very bad), and the replacement of GMR with a screen-heavy ride featuring a version of Mickey that will be outdated in five years (cute ride, horrible cost.) The rest of the park's areas in need of help (Animation courtyard, Fantasmic, every single show) are left to fester, and the overall theme has become more incoherent.

That's the big makeover.

I think if you had told people on this board four years ago that this was the extent of the changes coming to MGM, they'd have been... unimpressed.

It's pretty clear WDW and Iger are remaining true-to-form despite the favorable signs of Pandora and SWL.

huwar18

View attachment 215836 View attachment 215837
These two are really not that different. If you want to be upset about it taking over Great Movie Ride, I'm right there with you, but let's not pretend this aesthetic is some tragic and drastic shift from the "real" Mickey Mouse.
Personally, I don't mind the new Mickey. I think all of the characters looks great but Goofy. Goofy just doesn't look right.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
View attachment 215836 View attachment 215837
These two are really not that different. If you want to be upset about it taking over Great Movie Ride, I'm right there with you, but let's not pretend this aesthetic is some tragic and drastic shift from the "real" Mickey Mouse.

One looks like Mickey and the other looks like a mangled knockoff. I'm sure the actual ride will be amazing but using such a visually unappealing version of such an iconic character for what should be the signature attraction of the park is more than a little disappointing. Disney didn't do their homework on this one.

Mike S

So just to review, the "great studios makeover" is the addition of SWL (very good), the addition of TSL (very bad), and the replacement of GMR with a screen-heavy ride featuring a version of Mickey that will be outdated in five years (cute ride, horrible cost.) The rest of the park's areas in need of help (Animation courtyard, Fantasmic, every single show) are left to fester, and the overall theme has become more incoherent.

That's the big makeover.

I think if you had told people on this board four years ago that this was the extent of the changes coming to MGM, they'd have been... unimpressed.

It's pretty clear WDW and Iger are remaining true-to-form despite the favorable signs of Pandora and SWL.
After yesterday I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to come, eventually, after the 50th. What's incredible is how they're seemingly doing more with Epcot for its 40th than DHS for its 30th in 2019.

Casper Gutman

After yesterday I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to come, eventually, after the 50th. What's incredible is how they're seemingly doing more with Epcot for its 40th than DHS for its 30th in 2019.

They will certainly build more at MGM one day, but that will be largely separate - this seems to be the extent of the "big park-saving makeover."

Any bets as to whether TSL and the new Mickey ride will still exist in 2030? I'd wager TSL is gone and Mickey has had another full makeover.

Brer Oswald

They will certainly build more at MGM one day, but that will be largely separate - this seems to be the extent of the "big park-saving makeover."

Any bets as to whether TSL and the new Mickey ride will still exist in 2030? I'd wager TSL is gone and Mickey has had another full makeover.
My bets are TSL is replaced by Monstropolis or an Incredibles Land, while Mickey will get a visual overhaul like Spiderman did a couple years ago.

ok three things 1. Do you guys think maybe they will have like steamboat mickey - all of the mickeys maybe like in the quo ?? 2. Will the chinese theatre the exterior be the same still with all of the hand prints and what? If they do keep it or modify it I personally feel like maybe they can add like a Mickey and Minnie statue or like the Mickey and Walt statue 3. With this ride do you think they might bring back the Animation drawing class with the new Mickey ride coming??

tirian

How come everyone is so negative on the modern Mickey Mouse cartoons? His design is about as close as they've ever been to the early to mid 30s design from the comics and cartoons (which was the best design)! Were you expecting this?:

Honestly, look at the post that @Jones14 made, those two designs aren't THAT different, and they are the best designs. Also keep in mind that these shorts are known for their classic cartoon and Disney movie references, so this:
MV5BYmUwNDdmN2UtYjcxYS00MjFiLWI0YTAtOThlMTEyYmYzMDQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMzMzc0MjM@._V1_UY268_CR94,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

may not seem so out of place for the ride facade (yes, it's from Gala Premiere).
People are unhappy because the new shorts are badly animated and sometimes rely on gross-out "Ren and Stimpy" humor. A few of them are funny, but when there are DECADES of beloved Mickey cartoons to draw from, this decision feels like a corporate synergy commercial for the Disney channel.

In fact, that's exactly what it is: Iger told WDI to use the new cartoons. It's pure marketing, not a trip through Steamboat Willie, the Band Concert, Hawaiian Holiday, the Sorcerer's Apprentice, Mickey's Birthday, Runaway Brain, or Get a Horse. The tech will be cool, but this isn't the Mickey the public has loved for nearly 100 years.

tirian

Maybe not by 2030, but in the future when this Mickey style is firmly tied to one series no longer on air, they'll probably update the ride to go back on-model.

tirian

Personally, I don't mind the new Mickey. I think all of the characters looks great but Goofy. Goofy just doesn't look right.

One more thing. :)

TBH, I do like the look of the new cartoon series because Mickey has had modern, stylized variations since the 80s. It's nice to see Disney willing to keep experimenting with the Mouse. But those styles were usually one-offs or product lines. Never before has Disney outright replaced Walt's final Mickey, and that speaks volumes.

Brer Oswald

People are unhappy because the new shorts are badly animated and sometimes rely on gross-out "Ren and Stimpy" humor. A few of them are funny, but when there are DECADES of beloved Mickey cartoons to draw from, this decision feels like a corporate synergy commercial for the Disney channel.

In fact, that's exactly what it is: Iger told WDI to use the new cartoons. It's pure marketing, not a trip through Steamboat Willie, the Band Concert, Hawaiian Holiday, the Sorcerer's Apprentice, Mickey's Birthday, Runaway Brain, or Get a Horse. The tech will be cool, but this isn't the Mickey the public has loved for nearly 100 years.
You mean decade (non plural)? Yeah I get what you mean, they should have pulled from the 30s design wise for this attraction. That being said, the art style isn't horrible as so many people claim, and judging by the concept art, it doesn't look as cheap as the shorts. Besides, I'd much rather have a new story than a book report tour through past cartoons (not that that would be bad either).

Brer Oswald

One more thing. :)

TBH, I do like the look of the new cartoon series because Mickey has had modern, stylized variations since the 80s. It's nice to see Disney willing to keep experimenting with the Mouse. But those styles were usually one-offs or product lines. Never before has Disney outright replaced Walt's final Mickey, and that speaks volumes.
They haven't had Walt's Final Mickey, which was the personality-less Mickey, for years (at least, not since the 90s), so this current Mickey being a return to 30s Mickey was a breath of fresh air back in 2013.

dm11

I don't think that's fair. DHS is getting SW:GE (already using new name!) and that alone is bigger than anything else in the parks. And yes, it is getting TSL (whatever we think about it) and MaMRR (whatever I think about it). Compare that to GotG, Rat, Brazil, Space restaurant and scattering of small improvements (which I am sure they'll also do in DHS). I'd say it is pretty much even investment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom