News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

The Mom

Premium Member
You're paying for convenience not quality or amenities. Disney Deluxes from other brands top tier even though you pay more.

Exactly. I've paid top dollar for many so-so hotels in major cities in Europe strictly because they were within a short walk/drive of "the sights." I could have stayed further away for less, but then would have to use up more time traveling to and from my hotel. Location, location, location.

cosmicgirl

I could see that going a little less smoothly with those visitors who rent ECVs but can't drive them , though. We've all seen them! But I'm sure they'll take that into account in the design.

NeXuS1000

I agree with danlb_2000's points and would add that the chosen location could be better if a future expansion to CSR is ever considered, especially if the Swolphin tower were to be built. You can draw a straight line from the chosen elbow to the section of CSR's Cabanas that was demolished, i.e. where the new tower will be.

True, but you don't think the potential Swolphin tower would still be so closely connected to the boats that it wouldn't make sense to connect it to the Gondolas?

cosmicgirl

True, but you don't think the potential Swolphin tower would still be so closely connected to the boats that it wouldn't make sense to connect it to the Gondolas?
I mean that the tower would not be in the way, forcing another bend in the gondola. If you look at MisterPenguin's flyover from around 1:05 then you'll see that the Swolphin tower would be right smack in the middle of the axis connecting your proposed elbow location to CSR. With the chosen location otoh they could potentially squeeze it in nicely between Buena Vista Dr and the Swolphin tower.

toolsnspools

Could be a couple reasons. The new location keeps it further away from the back stage of Epcot which will help with less then attractive views. It also runs it along the road which will be helpful in case of an emergency and also allows the land in that area to be used for something else that might not work if there is a gondola overhead.
Not to mention, people sitting in buses stuck in traffic on Beuna Vista Dr. will wish they were moving along on the Disney Skyliner and consider paying a little extra for those resorts on their next visit.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Regarding concerns about the heat, remember this will be a very quick ride. We are talking just a few minutes. If you can't handle the heat on that type of trip, you have no chance surviving all day in the parks.

I'm guessing that because of the open cab design it will also be subject to weather restrictions as well. Similar to the skyway.

bitguru

...will you have to get off at each station or can you ride it all the way from Epcot to HS on the same gondola?

All three lines will terminate at CBR south where you will have to change lines.

So if you're staying at DVC Riviera and headed to Epcot, do you head south to CBR only to transfer back north to Epcot? (Or is there some kind of mid-stream entry/exit? How would that work? At some times of day wouldn't the gondolas coming from CBR-South already be full?)

Also what's happening at the turn near Swan? Is that what's under construction in Swan's tennis courts? Will it be (a) just a turning facility, (b) a turn with a simple station, (c) a building with a turning facility on a medium-high floor, or (d) something else?

truecoat

So if you're staying at DVC Riviera and headed to Epcot, do you head south to CBR only to transfer back north to Epcot? (Or is there some kind of mid-stream entry/exit? How would that work? At some times of day wouldn't the gondolas coming from CBR-South already be full?)

You can go directly to Epcot. Gondolas could be full when they go through the station but some of the people from POP/AOA are going to DHS so I'd think there'd be empty cars.

Creathir

They're enclosed with no hvac. Does that sound right to you?
You're not going to get anywhere with this line of discussion.

Speaking as someone who shares your concern, particularly in emergency situations where full stoppage occurs, I'd advise you to not waste your time discussing this.

It has been argued over and over and over again, with the prevailing opinion being that all will be fine (it likely will) and a few of us expressing our concerns. Hopefully they'll be unfounded.

But arguing back and forth doesn't solve anything. Until it's built and we see real numbers, it's just back and forth back and forth.

I do find it interesting that they are providing wifi to the cabins per Lift Blog, but I'm guessing this is actually provided on the lift towers and not within the cabins themselves, so power concerns and discussions would not come into play.

My biggest surprise is Disney is killing off bus service entirely for these resorts to Epcot and DHS, removing scheduled alternative transportation.

Maybe the Minnie Vans will pick up the slack for the ECV users who can't drive quick enough into the gondola or for those afraid of the heights or having irrational fears of being baked to death in their own terrarium in the sky...?

Maeryk

You're not going to get anywhere with this line of discussion.

Speaking as someone who shares your concern, particularly in emergency situations where full stoppage occurs, I'd advise you to not waste your time discussing this.

It has been argued over and over and over again, with the prevailing opinion being that all will be fine (it likely will) and a few of us expressing our concerns. Hopefully they'll be unfounded.

But arguing back and forth doesn't solve anything. Until it's built and we see real numbers, it's just back and forth back and forth.

I do find it interesting that they are providing wifi to the cabins per Lift Blog, but I'm guessing this is actually provided on the lift towers and not within the cabins themselves, so power concerns and discussions would not come into play.

My biggest surprise is Disney is killing off bus service entirely for these resorts to Epcot and DHS, removing scheduled alternative transportation.

Maybe the Minnie Vans will pick up the slack for the ECV users who can't drive quick enough into the gondola or for those afraid of the heights or having irrational fears of being baked to death in their own terrarium in the sky...?

Or you could, yaknow, walk?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom