News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Kiwiduck

No one knows that John lassetter was drunk on stage. His behavior could also be explained by trying hard to feign enthusiasm for a weak project, by anxiety, Illness or any number of things other than public drunkenness. People should be careful about making assumptions that can affect someone's professional reputation with no real evidence.

D

Deleted member 107043

“I have to say that I appreciate the fact that so many of you came to Disneyland as kids, and you had kids and you brought your kids, and now you’re grandparents and you bring your [grand]kids here. You want things to be the way the you saw them initially.”

“Being around Disneyland for 60-some years, I can tell you that every attraction in Disneyland has had some kind of change.”

“I look at it like a theater show — you come up with a new act and it’s great. It’s still the same story, but you brought a new dynamic into it. Walt did that constantly in terms of Disneyland.”

“This is just part of the process .… It’s part of the tradition of Disneyland“

- Marty Sklar

Source: LA Times

Californian Elitist

No one knows that John lassetter was drunk on stage. His behavior could also be explained by trying hard to feign enthusiasm for a weak project, by anxiety, Illness or any number of things other than public drunkenness. People should be careful about making assumptions that can affect someone's professional reputation with no real evidence.

I don't believe anyone stated him being drunk as an absolute fact. Just that he seemed tipsy.

TP2000

Hmmm.... I've been around for a very long time. I'm old. And I know what a drunk guy sounds and acts like. I also know what John Lasseter sounds and acts like normally, since he's been in the public eye for 15+ years.

Lasseter's performance on Saturday afternoon at D23 wasn't normal. And it exhibited many cues that any rational person would read as "drunk".

I'm of the opinion that he was drunk. What was hilarious was watching Bobby Chapek trying to ignore it and get him off stage. :D

nevol

There are already Pixar characters in small world.

That's why I think this will be a scale rollout of some of the interactive storytelling Scott Trowbridge did last year in the parks as research for star wars land. I don't think they mean characters in the Haunted Mansion Holiday sense. They invite us to bring our cast of characters (us) to "celebrate" with their cast of characters (pixar). Like never before, never in the same place twice, etc. I think this is the trial run for the Live Action Role Play (LARP) elements they want to integrate into star wars land. Really clever way actually to fill a year when there are no ride openings and to bury a ton of research along the way. They can't jump straight from jedi training academy to LARP/renaissance fair overnight.

TP2000

I'm sorry if this has been addressed already, I haven't read the whole thread because I'm in DCA at the moment, but what is the plan for the Paradise Pier Hotel?

Absolutely nothing. And yet you raise an interesting point.

Which tells me this Pixar Pier thing is even crazier than it seems with what little info they admitted to on Saturday.

The_Bellringer

I'm excited for Pixar Pier. The problem with Paradise Pier is that it's exactly what Walt didn't want Disneyland to be - a run of the mill amusement park with off the shelf rides. Thanks Eisner. Maybe Pixar thrown it will help with that, but meh. The structure is the same no matter what color/faces are slapped onto it.

I will say that it's a beautiful area. I remember eating at Ariels grotto as a kid overlooking the water with my fam - such good memories! And the Mickey Wheel has become the park icon basically since World of Color, so I would hope they don't change that. Luxo? That lamp? Yawn.

TP2000

Well, not you, but some people are all but loading him in a car and sending him off to rehab.

Interestingly, I don't think he should go to rehab at all. If he wants to drink a fifth of Scotch every night and sing Grease Lightning in his underwear while balancing on his backyard pool diving board, he's welcome to do that. This is still America and a man should be able to do whatever he wants in his own home.

But when it's time to go out and represent his company in front of 7,000 customers at a major public event, I'd like him to be sober.

nevol

Absolutely nothing. And yet you raise an interesting point.

Which tells me this Pixar Pier thing is even crazier than it seems with what little info they admitted to on Saturday.

If there is no more paradise pier, then i'd guess they rebrand the hotel to the pixar pier hotel as well. Think about it; they could just swap out the wall art with pixar paintings a la the marvel new york hotel overlay in paris they are doing. They'd spend so little money and be able to rake almost as much money out of it afterward as disneyland hotel.

nevol

If they theme California Screamin with the Incredibles i really hope they go all out and not just out a new name on it and that's it.

I know 2018 is around the corner but if they were able to completely retheme Tower than a good theme on Screamin shouldn't be to difficult.

Easiest thing would be to enclose both sound tunnels and add either projections or lighting in both.

Maybe even do something that helps the theming of the queue as well.

I still don't know why they haven't considered moving the entrance of standby over to the area by the photo booth. The original design had the entrance there next to that photo both using the gates that lead guests I to the eastern helix. A nice Victorian tall structure in the round could be built in the middle.
This would help fix the siteline issue in that corner of the Pier that allows the convention center to be seen.
This new structure would have an ascending circle ramp until it reaches the height of the top of the existing stairs. At this point a new tunnel bridge would go thru the Screamin structure and meet up to the existing second level queue before descending into the load platform.

This new queue would allow for the existing queue to be demolished and a new structure built that would contain either a new small eating facility or a new themed store. This new structure would serve as a way to seclude the loading area of Screamin which would now be completely enclosed and themed.

If they moved screamin's queue then they could use that space to put some relocated bugs land flat rides in a shaded area too, and it is next to a carousel already so it would fit nicely.

Curious Constance

If there is no more paradise pier, then i'd guess they rebrand the hotel to the pixar pier hotel as well. Think about it; they could just swap out the wall art with pixar paintings a la the marvel new york hotel overlay in paris they are doing. They'd spend so little money and be able to rake almost as much money out of it afterward as disneyland hotel.
If they were doing that though, I bet they'd be bragging about it, and they haven't said a peep.

Kiwiduck

Interestingly, I don't think he should go to rehab at all. If he wants to drink a fifth of Scotch every night and sing Grease Lightning in his underwear while balancing on his backyard pool diving board, he's welcome to do that. This is still America and a man should be able to do whatever he wants in his own home.

But when it's time to go out and represent his company in front of 7,000 customers at a major public event, I'd like him to be sober.

While I dont agree with your certainty about his sobriety you do have a delightful way with words! I will now spend my evening having thoughts about John Lassetter I never expected to have.

Karakasa

This really doesn't seem like it was ready to be announced, or if it was, they didn't give us enough info.

As is, the concept art itself explains my reaction for me.
FHwMxkq.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom