News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Dapper Dan

I don't get why Disney will not just let us know what the new Future World purpose is? I mean it's clearly not the same as classic EPCOT's and everything will make a lot more since when they finally just let us know. Right now everything is just looking like a mess.
I'm sure they'll let us know as soon as they figure out how to spin "please see our movies" as Epcot's original vision.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Actually, it would be "this way to the egress."

I came here to make the same response! You beat me to it.

I don't get why Disney will not just let us know what the new Future World purpose is? I mean it's clearly not the same as classic EPCOT's and everything will make a lot more since when they finally just let us know. Right now everything is just looking like a mess.

Because Disney doesn't know. If they're putting out an artist's rendering of where FW is going and then have to immediately disclaim that it's just 'blue sky', then it's clear they don't know. This jibe's with @marni1971 's insights about how their plans are still in the air. All we know is what they're committing to right now. Trying to discern a comprehensive rationale for everything currently in FW and approved is like trying to figure out what makes a Disney Princess a Disney Princess when the answer is "because it's marketable."

And that just may be the final justification for what FW becomes: if it's marketable as being family friendly, Disney branded, and 'timeless' (IOW they don't have to keep updating it), then it will be put into FW regardless of any other thematic aesthetic.

Maeryk

Because that's not what Disney does. They leak bits and pieces to keep people interested. They leak opening dates to keep people booking hotel rooms. They change things here and there so they can keep work in one park to a minimum at one time. (four projects in/around epcot at the same time is a pretty high level of work at the same time) And, as we know, plans change as time goes on. (Epcot being a particularly good example of that, because the plans for the park were being scaled back even as it was being built.. the africa pavilion ended up being removed and a few other things that were supposed to happen, shown in the "final" concept art, and planned for failed to happen as well).

When Disney was the only game in town, it was one thing. Now they have rather stiff competition right down the road, and they know it. But you don't really see bold 10 or 20 year plans anymore, simply because the tech and the industry evolve far faster than that, and the consumer base is fickle about what it will/wont show up for.

Dribbling out bits of info here and there is the current Disney style, so it's what we get. Plus, if they were going to, say, close and raze Imagination (as rumors have floated), I'd expect them to not say a single word.. people would just show up one day to see scrims.

JohnD

Since Peter Quill has been to EPCOT Center as a kid and he loves music if this song isn't on his Walkman it'll be a crime.

If they can fight to the Jackson 5 on Mission Breakout this shouldn't be a problem either.

I get people being insulted by this concept -- like releasing Horizons T-Shirts to remind you of the fact that ride was torn down. But, if done correctly, they could incorporate this music and even the old Energy pre-show (I love the revolving windows) into the new pre-show/queue before boarding with a good retro vibe.

montyz81

Bill Nye is an ivy league credentialed engineer and has been a distinguished science educator for decades. I understand that some people don't like him, but not liking him doesn't make him an idiot or unfit for an Energy pavilion.
An argument that has been discussed many times, but both Bill Nye and Neil DeGrass Tyson both admitted they were wrong. Both stated that a ball filled up in 90 degree temp and cooled to 50 degrees could drop up to 2 psi. For him to go on TV and claim everyone is wrong without doing proper research first makes him an idiot in my book, especially with his degrees and distinguished career. Do I believe it was the entire story? No. I just think he should have done more work before opening his mouth. Maybe idiot is a strong word, perhaps sellout is a better adjective to describe him.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
That Is probably exactly what they plan to do as a cynical gesture towards us.
I could see Peter Quill humming along then throwing in the line "Through the Universe with Guardians of The Galaxy." 10 imaginary reps to anyone who creates new GotG lyrics to the classic song.

They could easily reuse the exit music! Frankly I'd think it an insult NOT using it!

Last edited:

October82

An argument that has been discussed many times, but both Bill Nye and Neil DeGrass Tyson both admitted they were wrong. Both stated that a ball filled up in 90 degree temp and cooled to 50 degrees could drop up to 2 psi.

I don't want to derail this thread any further, so feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more.

However, I want to point to two things I mentioned in the post that you're responding to here. The mistake they made is a subtle one and, even accounting for it doesn't mean that their conclusion was wrong. It also isn't as simple a conclusion as you stated. Yes, they should have been more careful, but we all make mistakes, and mistakes are amplified in the public eye, especially when the public doesn't understand the physics either.

For him to go on TV and claim everyone is wrong without doing proper research first makes him an idiot in my book, especially with his degrees and distinguished career. Do I believe it was the entire story? No. I just think he should have done more work before opening his mouth. Maybe idiot is a strong word, perhaps sellout is a better adjective to describe him.

Calling them an idiot is certainly a "strong" word, and "sellout" is unjustified (a sellout to who?). Why do you need to use any word to describe them? Why not just say simply that their credibility was hurt? Why should one high profile mistake define them entirely in your view? Especially a mistake that is subtle enough that most people who lack technical training themselves can't accurately recall?

FettFan

And Test Track was in the world of motion pavilion.

They can rename it anything they please. There's no reason whatsoever it has to be about "energy" any more than Pooh has to be about 20K leagues because it's built on top of it.

Wrongo.
1. Test Track is in the Transportation Pavilion. The Transportation Pavilion formerly hosted World of Motion and now hosts Test Track 2.0.

2. Pooh was built on top of Mr Toad's Wild Ride. There was also a massive backlash against closing Toad, including in-park picketing.
www.savetoad.com

FettFan

Since Peter Quill has been to EPCOT Center as a kid and he loves music if this song isn't on his Walkman it'll be a crime.

If they can fight to the Jackson 5 on Mission Breakout this shouldn't be a problem either.

He no longer has the Walkman; Ego crushed it during their fight. He upgraded to a Zune.

"We picked this up for you. It's called a Zune and it's got three hundred songs." - Kraglin

"THREE HUNDRED?!" - Quill

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Honestly, I won't miss UoE. I made my peace the last time I rode it. It's time has passed. The symbolism of losing another original attraction (even though it has changed) is sad and makes me long for the other great lost attractions..

Losing things is part of life, sadly. I reminded of these words from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (probably the best part of the movie):

"We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away."​

It's a painful thing, but at least in this case we are losing something and getting something back in return.

There's nothing like experiencing something new for the first time. I'm excited for that first ride. Thankfully and amazingly, there are going to be lots of "first rides" in the next few years. That alone is exciting.
I love this post times 1000!

HMF

I could see Peter Quill humming along then throwing in the line "Through the Universe with Guardians of The Galaxy." 10 imaginary reps to anyone who creates new GotG lyrics to the classic song.

They could easily reuse the exit music! Frankly I'd think it an insult NOT using it!

This whole thing is an insult.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom