News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

raven

This isn't really a hard concept.

Epcot. Needs. More. Rides. That. Fit. Into. The. Purpose. Of. Epcot.
Perhaps. Epcot's. Purpose. Has. Changed?

Tomorrowland isn't "Tomorrow" land, Disney Studios is no longer a studio, Animal Kingdom now features a land with fantasy characters, Disney's California Adventure barely has anything to do with California anymore. Things change.

sedati

Hmm... Something I like is being replaced by something I like.

Here's my take on how this "could" fit.

Peter Quill had been to Epcot Center, so he has context on what the park was like. Imagine you had a friend from that time that went missing.
Where'd he go?
All over the galaxy.
Now he's back, and he has his own spaceship.
Imagine catching up with a friend like that. Maybe he'd take you off to show you everything Epcot stood for, but as he's experienced it- for real. Other planets. Undersea worlds. Crazy forms of energy. Bizarre aliens with bizarre forms of communication. Unbelievable forms of transportation. Lots and lots of imagination and great music. Like Horizons told by someone who's had too many Red-Bulls.

I am concerned, but hopeful. Disney is my comfort zone after all.

I too will miss the dinos (if they are in fact leaving.) They are pretty much copies of the one's on the Disneyland Railroad, and were dated by even 80's standards. Part of me hopes they just re-skin them and make them into alien creatures.

Hopefully we'll get more info when the ride goes down in August.

Nickels5

Yeah, people with different thoughts are the worst.

If only there were forums where people gush constantly, that would be worthwhile.
Different thoughts that actually contribute to the conversation are great, constantly complaining about the same thing for years is something entirely different. Epcot is changing and will continue to change if you don't like the direction it's going don't visit.

The_Jobu

Got ahold of Tink's stash of super potent pixie dust.
82801-73b708558f6586e18096142056e1950f.jpg

Happy thoughts, everyone!

I don't think he's having a very magical day. Or is it Disney day? Which is the secret insult?

Maeryk

i'm actually pretty okay with this attraction because i knew a replacement for ellen was long overdue, but one thing about the announcement left me unhappy:
"The Guardians of the Galaxy-inspired attraction will be added to Future World, adhering to the original vision of Epcot’s Future World as the place to experience the excitement and adventure offered by space travel."
....except that's not EPCOT Future World's "original vision"??? (right??)

Horizons and WoM both had space involved. As did at least one of the original communicore attractions. So.. it was certainly part of it.

Maeryk

I love the MCU and I love Guardians. Unabashedly.

But considering the MCU is the crown jewel of franchises, the series every other studio desperately wants, the property that has changed how all of Hollywood does business... the way Disney has been using it in the parks really gives the impression they think its not very important at all.

I mean, TRON gets a new build, and the MCU gets shoved into pre-existing structures. Its a bad message to send.

they are extremely limited, contractually, on what they can use on the Eastern side of the US, as far as Marvel IP in parks. It's been utilized in other countries, and is being increased in California as well.

But for whatever reason, the GotG are not restricted under the same contractual obligations as Avengers, Spidey, Xwhatever, etc are.

No Name

I'm optimistic that they will incorporate the Guardians of the Galaxy characters in such a way that it is still relevant to Future World and educates us about energy. If you think about it, Universe of Energy currently uses Jeopardy to teach us about Energy. Jeopardy is an IP not owned by Disney and Marvel is, so you could argue that this would make it "more Disney". Just like Figment teaches us about imagination, the Guardians will replace Bill Nye and Ellen to teach us about energy.

That would be wonderful, but my crystal ball suggests that's not what's happening.

After all, what do Ellen and Jeopardy have to do with the energy crisis on Earth?

Of course Ellen and Jeopardy have nothing directly to do with energy. They are simply used in an effort to make the topic and ride more engaging. Effort being the key word.

JBIRDTO

I can assure you there is no pretense or masquerade here. The way I present myself online is not too different from my real world personality. I refuse to associate myself with anyone who is stupid enough to support change like this. Those who know me in real life know that when it comes to Disney, and especially Epcot, you either see things my way (a purist) or I consider you a pixie dust shill. There is no in between. It makes no difference to me how people perceive me because of that. It's the same way when it comes to the individual in my profile avatar. It absolutely is some form of mental illness, but I frankly don't care. Outside of seeing this wonderful park destroyed, life is good.
Glad this is not a political thread.

Fantasmicguy

I don't get why Disney will not just let us know what the new Future World purpose is? I mean it's clearly not the same as classic EPCOT's and everything will make a lot more since when they finally just let us know. Right now everything is just looking like a mess.

@marni1971 - Don't know if you can say anything but big fan of yours so thought I'd ask anyway (your videos are INCREDIBLE!): with the "Peter Quill visiting EPCOT Center as a kid" element a part of the official announcement, is EPCOT Center nostalgia going to factor into the ride in any way?

Personally I'm very uneasy about this ride, but I think this could be an interesting angle; a way to celebrate the park's history in an engaging way.

Last edited:

EPICOT

This thread just proves what is wrong with the average American's view and understanding of science these days. They want to sit their fat arses with a 64 ounce Mountain Dew on a ride based on the latest fad that happens to mention the word "energy" once or twice. They'll then walk off praising Disney as the greatest company ever and *feel* like they learned something. Yet when there actually is a ride with some educational value, they'll call for its destruction and replacement another fad. Anything beyond the surface level is too much. RIP EPCOT Center. Hello IPCOT. Shame on you who are ok with this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom