News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm sure a lot of people (though, I know not everyone, especially the ones who 'rent' DVC points) who stay at the deluxe properties would definitely want and are willing and able to pay for a chauffeur service, especially when run by the Disney brand. Though they can take a ferry to two of the parks, the idea of busing it to MK or DAK is, to some of them... I'm sure they'd just rather not. Some just can't. They can't.

mm121

I'm sure a lot of people (though, I know not everyone, especially the ones who 'rent' DVC points) who stay at the deluxe properties would definitely want and are willing and able to pay for a chauffeur service, especially when run by the Disney brand. Though they can take a ferry to two of the parks, the idea of busing it to MK or DAK is, to some of them... I'm sure they'd just rather not. Some just can't. They can't.
definitely just expands the disney divide of the Have's and have nots, as disney expands offerings for the rich, while increasing the costs making a disney vacation unattainable for many in the middle class and below

i'm sure the richer tier of customers would never dream of "riding a bus" with the everyday lay peoples of the world

I am Timmy

At $20 a pop regardless of where you go, I would still use Uber. My family loves Uber, and they are so fast and cheap, we don't need a van that can hold 8 people. Cheaper option for more people, maybe. I hope they aren't going to ban Uber - these vans probably don't go off property so I can't really see how they could.

mm121

At $20 a pop regardless of where you go, I would still use Uber. My family loves Uber, and they are so fast and cheap, we don't need a van that can hold 8 people. Cheaper option for more people, maybe. I hope they aren't going to ban Uber - these vans probably don't go off property so I can't really see how they could.

Looked more like an suv, so not sure it would hold 8 people

its easier to ban pickups than drop offs, but just depends on if they want to actively discourage the use of uber, or simply provide a disney operated alternative

many sports events now have an 'uber zone" which is the only location around a stadium where you can be dropped off and picked up, so its definitely possible for a location to "manage" uber rather than ban it and make it less convenient though they will say its for traffic control and security reasons

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Only a matter of time now before UBER and Lyft are banned from WDW property and Disney has every right to do so as it's private property.

Trouble with this concept is while several hundred are probably needed to satisfy demand which Uber and Lyft can easily accommodate WDW will probably have under fifty max. So like all other forms of Disney transport the user experience will suck.

Once again Disney's greed is showing what Disney could have done as many airports have done is screen specific drivers and give them an EzPass like device which both admits them to the property and pays the fee so the Facility gets drivers screened to their standards and their fee paid and the Uber/Lyft customer gets their desired user experience.

But as usual Disney's greed is allowed to corrode the user experience

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Only a matter of time now before UBER and Lyft are banned from WDW property and Disney has every right to do so as it's private property.

Trouble with this concept is while several hundred are probably needed to satisfy demand which Uber and Lyft can easily accommodate WDW will probably have under fifty max. So like all other forms of Disney transport the user experience will suck.

Once again Disney's greed is showing what Disney could have done as many airports have done is screen specific drivers and give them an EzPass like device which both admits them to the property and pays the fee so the Facility gets drivers screened to their standards and their fee paid and the Uber/Lyft customer gets their desired user experience.

But as usual Disney's greed is allowed to corrode the user experience
They will have enough vehicles, and will offer a superior service to Uber. Plenty of people will be willing to pay $20 for the convenience.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They will have enough vehicles, and will offer a superior service to Uber. Plenty of people will be willing to pay $20 for the convenience.

Time will tell, superior service is a concept I no longer associate with WDW.
(Nor with UNI just for the record) I travel for business and know the difference.

I'm one of the people willing to pay extra for superior service, I'm not willing to pay extra for ordinary or sub-par experience billed as 'premium' however

We have NASCAR races here there is a helicopter shuttle from a remote easy to get in and out parking area I've paid for that that's a truly 'premium' service

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Time will tell, superior service is a concept I no longer associate with WDW.
(Nor with UNI just for the record) I travel for business and know the difference.

I'm one of the people willing to pay extra for superior service, I'm not willing to pay extra for ordinary or sub-par experience billed as 'premium' however

They know exactly what the competition is and what is needed to make it work. We'll find out soon enough, it begins later this month.

raven

Google "uber labor practices" and you'll have plenty of interesting reading material. Something needs to be done about them.
Yet they are so much more reliable than the Disney bus system, which is why guests have utilized them so much recently. Over an hour to get back to Pop Century from MK at the end of the night? The Disney bus system is seriously flawed and Disney knows it.

Madame Medusa

Uber is a nationwide problem, not just limited to Disney. Despite their convenience, it's immoral to use them based on how they treat their workers.

The Minnie vans are a great idea to combat them and I hope they're aggressive in doing so.

raven

Uber is a nationwide problem, not just limited to Disney. Despite their convenience, it's immoral to use them based on how they treat their workers.

The Minnie vans are a great idea to combat them and I hope they're aggressive in doing so.
You do realize that each "worker" is their own boss and make their own decisions, right? And their employment and hours worked are completely up to themselves.

mm121

Yet they are so much more reliable than the Disney bus system, which is why guests have utilized them so much recently. Over an hour to get back to Pop Century from MK at the end of the night? The Disney bus system is seriously flawed and Disney knows it.

in an ideal world the profit from the Minnie Vans would be spent to improve the buses, but we all know that wont happen

and now they wont be motivated to spend money on improving the buses, since by letting them fail, increases the profit for the minnie vans

could they be wanting to phase out or begin charging for bus transit and this is the first step to doing that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom