Formal Night

MotherofaPrincessLover

Original Poster
Is it terrible if we don't dress up for formal night? I just don't want to lug the extra clothes (actually, I'd probably have to buy something) along. I'll probably bring something a little nicer for everyone to wear, just not exactly formal.

belledream

You'll be fine. Honestly, we were suits/ballgowns because we thought it would be fun, and ended up looking sooo out of place it was almost awkward! Haha. The most casual dress I saw was someone wearing a t-shirt and Sperry's. If you're just thinking polo/sundress or blouse, you will be totally fine.

ChuckElias

There is a formal night on sailings of 7 nights or longer, and there is a dress code for those nights. But you'll find that DCL simply doesn't enforce the dress codes in the rotational restaurants. (They do enforce them at Palo and Remy, however.) So you'll see families like mine in full formal attire (we love it!) and you'll see families that are in shorts and tank tops -- even on Formal Night. Be comfortable. But if you can convince your family, try dressing up just a little. Maybe not tuxes, but try nice shirts on the guys and a tie on dad. It's really nice and will look great for any pictures you take. Little girls always look like princesses in a nice dress. It's worth the small amount of effort, IMHO.

But, as I said, be comfortable. You won't get thrown out :)

EOD K9

There is a formal night on sailings of 7 nights or longer, and there is a dress code for those nights. But you'll find that DCL simply doesn't enforce the dress codes in the rotational restaurants. (They do enforce them at Palo and Remy, however.) So you'll see families like mine in full formal attire (we love it!) and you'll see families that are in shorts and tank tops -- even on Formal Night. Be comfortable. But if you can convince your family, try dressing up just a little. Maybe not tuxes, but try nice shirts on the guys and a tie on dad. It's really nice and will look great for any pictures you take. Little girls always look like princesses in a nice dress. It's worth the small amount of effort, IMHO.

That's my biggest complaint about the rotational restaurants. My first cruise in 2013 there was a dress code and nobody wore shorts in there. Last month, there were girls in short shorts and cutoffs. Guys were wearing flip flops and tank tops. I understand some people don't have a lot of money, but at least a polo shirt and dockers. First time at Palo I wore a suit, last month I skipped the jacket but still wore the shirt and tie. But there was guy in there with jeans a polo. It was a little disappointing.

pilka214

Most of the main cruise lines have moved away from enforcing dress code of formal nights... they want guests to enjoy themselves at all times. Disney still has some lax dress codes for the restaurants and more strict ones in Palo and Remy. The only reason to bring formal garb is if you want formal pictures with the characters in their tuxedos.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Most of the main cruise lines have moved away from enforcing dress code of formal nights... they want guests to enjoy themselves at all times. Disney still has some lax dress codes for the restaurants and more strict ones in Palo and Remy. The only reason to bring formal garb is if you want formal pictures with the characters in their tuxedos.

We did not go to Palo until they allowed jeans and a polo.

From https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/onboard-activities/palo-restaurant/

To preserve the elegant ambiance of this restaurant, you are asked to adhere to a dress code when dining at Palo. We recommend dress pants or slacks and a collared shirt for men, and a dress, skirt or pants and a blouse for women. Jeans may also be worn if in good condition (no holes). Please no tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

Is it terrible if we don't dress up for formal night? I just don't want to lug the extra clothes (actually, I'd probably have to buy something) along. I'll probably bring something a little nicer for everyone to wear, just not exactly formal.

Do not worry about not dressing up on formal night or any other night. We did it one time and said never again. All the extra clothes and time it takes to change and get ready. Pass.

Phonedave

I never understood the arguments against dressing up:

1) I don't have any clothes like that : well maybe you should. OK, if you are really poor, then I understand. But if you are really really poor, then what are you doing on a cruise, let alone a DCL cruise. Everybody who has a reasonable amount of income (enought to let them cruise) should at least have a sport coat and some slacks or for women a nice dress. What happens when you have to go to a funeral, or a wedding, or your boss asks you to cover a meeting, or your child graduates from school? You can easily pick up something that looks nice for $100 new, or even less if you buy second hand. You don't have to go out and order a $3,000 bespoke suit and a pair of Bruno Magli's. Nobody is going to be able to tell you bought it at Target.

2) It takes too long to get dressed: I work from home - in shorts, a t-shirt, and bare feet most of the time. My wife has come home and said we need to go out somewhere for dinner because of a last minute function. I'm in a suit and tie in under 10 minutes and ready to go. If you are so grungy and sweaty that you need a shower before you change into your nicer clothes, then you should be taking a shower anyway before going to dinner no matter what you plan on wearing.

3) I don't want to drag on a garment bag. I get this, especially if you are flying to your cruise, and you don't want to drag an other peice of checked luggage with you. However, DCL has an excellent pressing and dry cleaning service on board, and it's not expensive. When I was going on DCL cruises (I have to fly into Port Canaveral) I would jam a sport coat and slacks into my regular bag. Once in my stateroom, I would give the coat to the attendent to have pressed for around $8. The next morning it was in my stateroom and ready to go.When I cruise out of Bayonne, which I drive to, I do pack a seperate garment bag - to hold both my clothes, and my wife;s clothes.

4) I don't like they way the clothes feel: Unless you have a real condition, where clothes against your skin causes you extreme discomfort, wear the jacket and tie. Get a shirt that fits correctly and a tie does not strangle you anyway. Or, go to an other venue on formal night.

-dave

rob0519

The problem with moving away from enforcing formal night is they are taking away something for which everyone paid and some people still want. You pay for a formal night. It's on the ship's schedule of events. You dress up according to the dress code and then you have to sit next to two couples where both overweight men are in shorts, flip flops and sleeveless shirts. The cruise line has in effect said those people's comfort is more important than providing me and like minded others with the formal atmosphere that was promised and sold to us when we booked the cruise. If Disney can enforce the dress code at Palo, they can certainly enforce it in the MDRs on one "formal" night.

EOD K9

If Disney can enforce the dress code at Palo, they can certainly enforce it in the MDRs on one "formal" night.
I don't understand how they can do it Palo and Remy but not the MDRs. What is the option on the formal night on a seven nighter if you don't wear a suit? What is the dress code at Cabanas?

The Mom

Premium Member
I can understand not wanting to pack a tux and formal gown; been there, done that, and it does take up a lot of room and add weight.
But a basic navy blazer and a couple of oxford shirts and a couple of ties don't take up that much room, and can be used multiple times. Or even omit the blazer and just wear a shirt and tie.
I always pack a lightweight skirt or pants that can be dressed up or down with different tops and accessories. I took a black crinkle skirt (which I also wore as part of a casual outfit) on one 2 week land/sea trip and only had to add a black tank top (which I also wore as part of a casual outfit) ,sheer shawl embroidered with sparkles , and a pair of fancy earrings to have an elegant formal night outfit.

Lace or sheer tops can look very dressy, and again, take up little room and weigh next to nothing. The tank that you wear under them can be worn with shorts the next day, if you choose.

However, I avoid a cruise that has a "costume" night, and really prefer to take business casual cruises. Collared shirts and long pants required after 6PM. No tee shirts or shorts allowed in any full service dining room in the evening. Some people might dress up a bit, but not in tuxes or evening gowns - maybe a cocktail dress and men in suits.

21stamps

1) I don't have any clothes like that : well maybe you should. OK, if you are really poor, then I understand. But if you are really really poor, then what are you doing on a cruise, let alone a DCL cruise. Everybody who has a reasonable amount of income (enought to let them cruise) should at least have a sport coat and some slacks or for women a nice dress. What happens when you have to go to a funeral, or a wedding, or your boss asks you to cover a meeting, or your child graduates from school? You can easily pick up something that looks nice for $100 new, or even less if you buy second hand. You don't have to go out and order a $3,000 bespoke suit and a pair of Bruno Magli's. Nobody is going to be able to tell you bought it at Target.

2) It takes too long to get dressed: I work from home - in shorts, a t-shirt, and bare feet most of the time. My wife has come home and said we need to go out somewhere for dinner because of a last minute function. I'm in a suit and tie in under 10 minutes and ready to go. If you are so grungy and sweaty that you need a shower before you change into your nicer clothes, then you should be taking a shower anyway before going to dinner no matter what you plan on wearing.

3) I don't want to drag on a garment bag. I get this, especially if you are flying to your cruise, and you don't want to drag an other peice of checked luggage with you. However, DCL has an excellent pressing and dry cleaning service on board, and it's not expensive. When I was going on DCL cruises (I have to fly into Port Canaveral) I would jam a sport coat and slacks into my regular bag. Once in my stateroom, I would give the coat to the attendent to have pressed for around $8. The next morning it was in my stateroom and ready to go.When I cruise out of Bayonne, which I drive to, I do pack a seperate garment bag - to hold both my clothes, and my wife;s clothes.

4) I don't like they way the clothes feel: Unless you have a real condition, where clothes against your skin causes you extreme discomfort, wear the jacket and tie. Get a shirt that fits correctly and a tie does not strangle you anyway. Or, go to an other venue on formal night.

-dave

Here's why I disagree with your "1" .. for women, when we do buy formal gowns, I'm talking gowns, not cocktail dresses.. chances are we only wear them once.. maybe, maybe twice if we're lucky.. and then the next time we need an actual gown- our last one is out of fashion, so we have to buy another.

I'd rather spend several hundred dollars on an excursion rather than a formal gown that I won't wear again. I think that's also one of the reasons cruise lines are moving away from it.
Cocktail attire should be good enough...and easier to pack.

jaklgreen

-dave

That's all well and good when there is only 1 of you. But I travel with my daughters so that would be 3 extra pairs of dress up shoes(and they are adult size 10 and 11, we have big feet), plus 3 extra "fancy" outfits. All for just an hour and a half of sitting and eating. When we go on the cruise, we stay at WDW for a week also. So the 3 of us need to pack for 2 weeks and we only take 2 suitcases because that is all that fits in the trunk of our car to get to and from the airport. My "formal" wear is a pair of slacks and a blouse anyway ( I don't wear dresses or skirts)so I just wear some capri pants and a nicer shirt that is not a regular t-shirt. Honestly, I don't think that I ever really paid attention to what others around me are wearing. Who cares? Formal night is becoming a thing of the past and the people that stick out are the ones that actually dress up now.

Phonedave

Here's why I disagree with your "1" .. for women, when we do buy formal gowns, I'm talking gowns, not cocktail dresses.. chances are we only wear them once.. maybe, maybe twice if we're lucky.. and then the next time we need an actual gown- our last one is out of fashion, so we have to buy another.

I'd rather spend several hundred dollars on an excursion rather than a formal gown that I won't wear again. I think that's also one of the reasons cruise lines are moving away from it.
Cocktail attire should be good enough...and easier to pack.

Cocktail attire is fine in my opinon. Anything that is a step up from what you would wear around the house. That is why I did not say pack a tux for men. I own a tux, but I have never brought it on a cruise. As @The Mom described so well in her post, there are a variety of lightweight options for both men and women that are dressy. Maybe not the technical definition of formal, but definately better than the cargo shorts and T-shirt options.

Phonedave

That's all well and good when there is only 1 of you. But I travel with my daughters so that would be 3 extra pairs of dress up shoes(and they are adult size 10 and 11, we have big feet), plus 3 extra "fancy" outfits. All for just an hour and a half of sitting and eating. When we go on the cruise, we stay at WDW for a week also. So the 3 of us need to pack for 2 weeks and we only take 2 suitcases because that is all that fits in the trunk of our car to get to and from the airport. My "formal" wear is a pair of slacks and a blouse anyway ( I don't wear dresses or skirts)so I just wear some capri pants and a nicer shirt that is not a regular t-shirt. Honestly, I don't think that I ever really paid attention to what others around me are wearing. Who cares? Formal night is becoming a thing of the past and the people that stick out are the ones that actually dress up now.

So your kids don't bring their own suitcases? It's still one outfit per person.per suitcase. Not sure how you canot fit more that 2 suitcases in one car with three people. Heck, put one in the back seat - only one person is back there.

AS @rob0519 described, the people who care are the people who go expecting a formal night. Some people (such as myself) actually enjoy formal nights. Either eliminate them entirely (and then I will continue to choose cruise lines that enforce a dress code in their nicer restaruants) or enforce the dress code. If people don't want to dress up for a formal night, that is fine, there are plenty of other casual dining options on board.

-dave

21stamps

Cocktail attire is fine in my opinon. Anything that is a step up from what you would wear around the house. That is why I did not say pack a tux for men. I own a tux, but I have never brought it on a cruise. As @The Mom described so well in her post, there are a variety of lightweight options for both men and women that are dressy. Maybe not the technical definition of formal, but definately better than the cargo shorts and T-shirt options.

Ok, I understand your other comment better now, and I agree.

We will be on NCL soon.. I've heard it's such a variety of dress..I purchased a dining package, and am still planning on wearing cocktail attire to dinner, kiddo will wear slacks and a button up, or a vneck and a jacket.. but am very curious to see what this "freestyle" thing is in action, and if we will be in the minority.

Phonedave

Ok, I understand your other comment better now, and I agree.

We will be on NCL soon.. I've heard it's such a variety of dress..I purchased a dining package, and am still planning on wearing cocktail attire to dinner, kiddo will wear slacks and a button up, or a vneck and a jacket.. but am very curious to see what this "freestyle" thing is in action, and if we will be in the minority.

I can't help with NCL - never sailed with them. We will be on Celebrity next week. In the MDR there i wear slacks, and either a shirt, shirt and tie, shirt and jacket, or shirt, jacket, and tie. each night. Depends on what sort of night they are promoting.

jaklgreen

So your kids don't bring their own suitcases? It's still one outfit per person.per suitcase. Not sure how you canot fit more that 2 suitcases in one car with three people. Heck, put one in the back seat - only one person is back there.

AS @rob0519 described, the people who care are the people who go expecting a formal night. Some people (such as myself) actually enjoy formal nights. Either eliminate them entirely (and then I will continue to choose cruise lines that enforce a dress code in their nicer restaruants) or enforce the dress code. If people don't want to dress up for a formal night, that is fine, there are plenty of other casual dining options on board.

-dave

No, my hubby drives us to the airport and picks us up so there are 4 people in a normal mid size car. We can put a duffel in their lap I guess but we want to keep it down to a minimum. We take our 2 big roller suitcases that fill the trunk. There is nothing wrong with optional formal night. If you want to dress up and get your picture taken, great! But not everyone wants to do that and we all paid to be on that cruise so we should be able to eat at the restaurant that is included in the cost of the cruise. As long as a person is not wearing something offensive or is loud and disruptive, who cares?

rob0519

If no one cared about formal night, then the cruise lines would do away with them. When the cruise lines stop advertising formal or dress up nights there will no longer be a need for this type of conversation. Until then, the point remains that the cruise lines sell people a vacation with a formal night, with a published dress code where they am told and therefor expect everyone else in that dining room, on that night and that night only, to be dressed in accordance with the published dress code. It is the fault of the cruise line for not enforcing their own policies as well as the fault of the people who feel they are above the stated policy, whatever the policy is on each different line.

There are multiple other restaurants and buffets on cruise ships for those who don't want to "dress up" to the code for that one night only.

From the DCL website.
7-night cruises:
  • First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate night or other themed deck party
  • 3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One formal and one semi-formal night—both give you the opportunity to dress up and take advantage of the onboard photography services. Though optional, we recommend dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women
Dress Codes for Palo and Remy, Adults-Only Restaurants for Guests 18 and Older

So that we may provide an enjoyable and refined dining experience for all Guests, please be advised that tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops or tennis shoes are not permitted at Palo or Remy.

21stamps

If no one cared about formal night, then the cruise lines would do away with them. When the cruise lines stop advertising formal or dress up nights there will no longer be a need for this type of conversation. Until then, the point remains that the cruise lines sell people a vacation with a formal night, with a published dress code where they am told and therefor expect everyone else in that dining room, on that night and that night only, to be dressed in accordance with the published dress code. It is the fault of the cruise line for not enforcing their own policies as well as the fault of the people who feel they are above the stated policy, whatever the policy is on each different line.

There are multiple other restaurants and buffets on cruise ships for those who don't want to "dress up" to the code for that one night only.

From the DCL website.
7-night cruises:
  • First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate night or other themed deck party
  • 3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One formal and one semi-formal night—both give you the opportunity to dress up and take advantage of the onboard photography services. Though optional, we recommend dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women
Dress Codes for Palo and Remy, Adults-Only Restaurants for Guests 18 and Older

So that we may provide an enjoyable and refined dining experience for all Guests, please be advised that tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops or tennis shoes are not permitted at Palo or Remy.

Wasn't it a huge deal, about a year ago, that Palo or Remy started allowing denim or more casual wear? I think I remember reading people flip out over it.lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom