Formal Night

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's a theme like pirates night. Plus like I said, they want people to get their picture taken and buy the photos. Even on their website it even says on formal nights pictures will be taken.

No I'm talking even outside the cruise. If you really believe what you said...

This is ludicrous to think that someone wearing slacks and a polo instead of a suit and tie has any impact on other diners. Like all Mother's since the beginning of time have said, "if you don't like what you see, then don't look at it".

Why have a dress code anywhere?

jaklgreen

No I'm talking even outside the cruise. If you really believe what you said...

Why have a dress code anywhere?

This is not a dress code. Going by what even Disney is saying, it is an optional dress up night so that you can have some formal pictures taken, OPTIONAL!!! If it was a "dress code" then they would turn people away. It's like pirates night. Do you dress up like a pirate? Does it ruin your meal because others are not dressed like pirates? You really are far too concerned with what others are wearing. No one else cares, and it certainly not ruining people's meals.

21stamps

This is not a dress code. Going by what even Disney is saying, it is an optional dress up night so that you can have some formal pictures taken, OPTIONAL!!! If it was a "dress code" then they would turn people away. It's like pirates night. Do you dress up like a pirate? Does it ruin your meal because others are not dressed like pirates? You really are far too concerned with what others are wearing. No one else cares, and it certainly not ruining people's meals.

Just my 2 cents..

I think because it's listed as "recommended" and states "formal night", people are still considering it a dress code.

As opposed to something like NCL where nothing is really "recommended", and they heavily promote their "freestyle" atmosphere.

Like I said earlier in the thread though.. I think "formal" has been downgraded to "cocktail" by society as a whole, with black tie or white tie being optional unless formally stated by the cruise line, invitation, event etc. I'm glad of this.. I love wearing a gown- but very few and far between.lol

flynnibus

Premium Member

Again I said outside Disney... if you believe what you said about what others doing or not... why have dress codes at fine dining establishments, theatres, etc?

jaklgreen

Again I said outside Disney... if you believe what you said about what others doing or not... why have dress codes at fine dining establishments, theatres, etc?

But what Disney cruise line has is not a dress code, it is an optional theme night. Their actual dress code that they enforce is no swimsuits.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But what Disney cruise line has is not a dress code, it is an optional theme night. Their actual dress code that they enforce is no swimsuits.

I'm not talking about what Disney says.. I'm talking about what YOU SAID... ignore Disney Cruise Lines and what they do. I'm talking about your opinion towards dress and what it means in social spaces.

jaklgreen

I'm not talking about what Disney says.. I'm talking about what YOU SAID... ignore Disney Cruise Lines and what they do. I'm talking about your opinion towards dress and what it means in social spaces.

We are talking about the Disney cruise. I am not getting into some philosophical debate about what people wear in every single situation. We would be here for years doing that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
We are talking about the Disney cruise. I am not getting into some philosophical debate about what people wear in every single situation. We would be here for years doing that.

It's not about 'every single situation' - it's about your comment dismissing the significance of how one person's dress impacts the experience of others. You said "This is ludicrous to think that someone wearing slacks and a polo instead of a suit and tie has any impact on other diners"

So if you believe the actions of others is completely irrelevant to the experience of others... that's why I said Why even bother with Dress code at other locations if it's so ludicrous in your opinion that actions of one person impact another.

jaklgreen

It's not about 'every single situation' - it's about your comment dismissing the significance of how one person's dress impacts the experience of others. You said "This is ludicrous to think that someone wearing slacks and a polo instead of a suit and tie has any impact on other diners"

So if you believe the actions of others is completely irrelevant to the experience of others... that's why I said Why even bother with Dress code at other locations if it's so ludicrous in your opinion that actions of one person impact another.

There is a difference between someone's actions, which I consider to be what they are physically doing, and what someone is wearing. People are not wearing swimwear, or shirts with offensive sayings, graphics, etc. I don't care if someone is wearing shorts or capri pants or khakis, it does not affect me at all. You can have a person in a suit and tie acting like a fool, that would affect me and others, but wearing khaki shorts and a polo instead of a suit should not have any affect on anyone especially on the Disney cruise where it clearly states that it is optional. I can see people looking at someone funny if they go to some black tie gala and they are not dressed up, but this is not the case. And either way, what someone else is wearing really should not bother a person that much. If it ruins your whole meal, then that is on you. Lighten up.

jaklgreen

In today's age, formal wear does not have to cost a fortune nor does it have to be limited to bulky attire. You can get a nice pair of navy/black/khaki slacks and a button down at decent stores like Gap or Old Navy for a reasonable price. Disney SHOULD enforce it especially since they have such high class dining option on the ship. Like others have said, if you can't be bothered to dress up, go down to the fast-casual area. I couldn't imagine going into Tiana's Place dressed in shorts, a tee, and flip-flops :eek:

Tiana's place is one of the rotations dining rooms. So every other night that is not "formal" night people are in there wearing cruise casual clothing. Disney is not enforcing this because over the years the guests have spoken up about not wanting to have to dress up. This is a casual family cruise line, not the QM2.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There is a difference between someone's actions, which I consider to be what they are physically doing, and what someone is wearing. People are not wearing swimwear, or shirts with offensive sayings, graphics, etc. I don't care if someone is wearing shorts or capri pants or khakis, it does not affect me at all. You can have a person in a suit and tie acting like a fool, that would affect me and others, but wearing khaki shorts and a polo instead of a suit should not have any affect on anyone especially on the Disney cruise where it clearly states that it is optional. I can see people looking at someone funny if they go to some black tie gala and they are not dressed up, but this is not the case. And either way, what someone else is wearing really should not bother a person that much. If it ruins your whole meal, then that is on you. Lighten up.

So again... based on your logic, it is pointless to have a Dress Code anywhere... just behave.. because as you say, what other people wear shouldn't bother you. Yet, we still have convention and dress code at many different types of locations, events, etc. Be it the theater, fine dining, weddings, funerals, business functions, etc. Dress... is part of the atmosphere and usually associated with the level of respect for the event/location/audience. If you can't accept that... I don't know what you think is going on around you in those spaces.

And if you can accept that dress is part of association with atmosphere and event/location/audience... then you might start to realize why formal night and the loss or lack of endorsement.. is an issue for people who do want it.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
For the record, a suit and tie is not "formal." Formal means white tie. Semi-formal means tuxedo. Informal means a business suit and tie. Anything less is casual.

jaklgreen

So again... based on your logic, it is pointless to have a Dress Code anywhere... just behave.. because as you say, what other people wear shouldn't bother you. Yet, we still have convention and dress code at many different types of locations, events, etc. Be it the theater, fine dining, weddings, funerals, business functions, etc. Dress... is part of the atmosphere and usually associated with the level of respect for the event/location/audience. If you can't accept that... I don't know what you think is going on around you in those spaces.

And if you can accept that dress is part of association with atmosphere and event/location/audience... then you might start to realize why formal night and the loss or lack of endorsement.. is an issue for people who do want it.

But we are just talking about the DISNEY CRUISE! Not every single event on the planet. I know there are dress codes for other events and locations that should be followed. But on the cruise where it clearly states that it is optional so that you can have a formal picture taken, it does not matter. Why are you making such a big deal about this? The amount of energy that you are expending being so concerned about what a person 3 tables down from you is wearing on a family cruise is nuts. You are going to give your self a heart attack stressing over someone's khaki pants. It's stupid. For you to say that it ruins your meal is really extreme.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But we are just talking about the DISNEY CRUISE!

No I was talking about how you justified your position by arguing what other people wear should have no impact on your experience.

Not every single event on the planet. I know there are dress codes for other events and locations that should be followed.

So what people wear does impact other people.... and isn't just ludicrous

So you can agree people might actually care... and be against disney's sliding standards

NelleBelle

Unfortunately, we see way too many jeans and t-shirts in our "theatres" (not movies, but symphony, ballet and opera). I will say it does somewhat detract from the experience when you pay a lot of money for your season ballet tickets and see jeans and t-shirts. I think it's somewhat disrespectful to the performers. I don't really care if someone is wearing khaki's and a polo on formal/semi-formal night, but it does bother me, especially if I had the experience of someone in shorts and t-shirt making a comment about "going all out" seated at my table (which is part of the reason why we tend to want to stick with our own family, unfortunately). I do think that it's shameful that DCL relaxed the dress code for Remy and Palo.

pezgirlroy

Unfortunately, we see way too many jeans and t-shirts in our "theatres" (not movies, but symphony, ballet and opera). I will say it does somewhat detract from the experience when you pay a lot of money for your season ballet tickets and see jeans and t-shirts. I think it's somewhat disrespectful to the performers. I don't really care if someone is wearing khaki's and a polo on formal/semi-formal night, but it does bother me, especially if I had the experience of someone in shorts and t-shirt making a comment about "going all out" seated at my table (which is part of the reason why we tend to want to stick with our own family, unfortunately). I do think that it's shameful that DCL relaxed the dress code for Remy and Palo.
Completely agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom