Going solo with a baby and 3 year old....

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Am I crazy???? I went solo (without hubby) with my daughter when she was 18 months old and that was manageable. Now I am contemplating going with a 9 month old and a 3.5 year old WITHOUT hubby again.... WTH is wrong with me?

Anyone ever done this??? Interested in pros and cons...

I keep thinking about the stroller situation with getting on and off buses (luckily we would be staying at Swan and would only use the bus to go to MK one day). I also keep thinking about potty breaks too. Can you bring strollers into the bathroom?? If the answer is NO, I might have to break the rules on that one.... I can't hold a baby and hold my daughter over the toilet too.
So far those are the only two issues I see as being true issues. LoL besides being out of my mind even thinking this is possible. HA

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Have you considered babywearing? An inexpensive ergo would be easy to pack and they make it surprisingly easy to go to the bathroom without worrying about where to put the baby.

I only have one child, but I tend to base Disney reasonability off of how successful a long zoo trip goes. The zoo is hot, in full sun almost everywhere, and requires a lot of walking. Ours also gets crowded. Whenever I have a question on whether or not something will work for us, I test it at the zoo. Maybe take both kids to your local zoo by yourself for five ish hours and see how you do?

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
Have you considered babywearing? An inexpensive ergo would be easy to pack and they make it surprisingly easy to go to the bathroom without worrying about where to put the baby.

I only have one child, but I tend to base Disney reasonability off of how successful a long zoo trip goes. The zoo is hot, in full sun almost everywhere, and requires a lot of walking. Ours also gets crowded. Whenever I have a question on whether or not something will work for us, I test it at the zoo. Maybe take both kids to your local zoo by yourself for five ish hours and see how you do?

Currently, my 7 month old is about 22 pounds.... lol She's about to start crawling which should help her shed some weight, but the thought of carrying her in August at whatever weight she'll be makes me hot just thinking about it. I LOVE the idea of testing out this idea with the zoo. That's such great advice. Thanks for that! I appreciate your input.

newhorizons1

Okay, I've never done Disney solo with a child (let alone two)! My husband and I went with our (then) 8-month old in April because I had some work meetings to attend. My husband went with our son to the parks alone during the day. He said that people were very helpful to him in getting the stroller on and off the bus. He even told me that one of the bus drivers didn't make him fold up the stroller to get it on since the bus was pretty much empty. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Also, I'm pretty sure that I've taken an umbrella stroller in the bathroom before when my niece was younger. If it isn't allowed, well no one tried to stop me.

Even with it being hot, as was mentioned babywearing might not be a bad idea when getting on and off the bus.

jaklgreen

My girls were 2&3 when I went solo with them. Watch out for 3 year olds, they are runners! LOL You can bring strollers into the bathroom with you, I would stick to the bigger bathrooms that have more room. Not gonna lie, it will be work for you. Just stay organized and take it slow. I think you will spend more "down" time then on rides but that makes a great trip too. Have fun!

buseegal

Currently, my 7 month old is about 22 pounds.... lol She's about to start crawling which should help her shed some weight, but the thought of carrying her in August at whatever weight she'll be makes me hot just thinking about it. I LOVE the idea of testing out this idea with the zoo. That's such great advice. Thanks for that! I appreciate your input.
if using larger bathrooms/handicapped be prepared for longer wait as some handicapped take longer and could be a problem if child in hurry or needing quickly

Minnie1986

Am I crazy???? I went solo (without hubby) with my daughter when she was 18 months old and that was manageable. Now I am contemplating going with a 9 month old and a 3.5 year old WITHOUT hubby again.... WTH is wrong with me?

Anyone ever done this??? Interested in pros and cons...

I keep thinking about the stroller situation with getting on and off buses (luckily we would be staying at Swan and would only use the bus to go to MK one day). I also keep thinking about potty breaks too. Can you bring strollers into the bathroom?? If the answer is NO, I might have to break the rules on that one.... I can't hold a baby and hold my daughter over the toilet too.
So far those are the only two issues I see as being true issues. LoL besides being out of my mind even thinking this is possible. HA
All I saw was the title of this post and my immediate though was "God bless her." I have a friend that has done so with her two small children and lived to tell about it. It's a lot, from what I understand, but manageable.

Minnie1986

This sounds like an excellent idea, and a significantly less expensive test run.

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
All I saw was the title of this post and my immediate though was "God bless her." I have a friend that has done so with her two small children and lived to tell about it. It's a lot, from what I understand, but manageable.

I don't think I'm going to do it... If I were to take both of them solo, I would have to wait until next year I think when they're 4.5 and almost 2 years old.... It would just be much easier. Thinking about just taking my 3 year old and leaving the baby with hubby....

jaklgreen

I don't think I'm going to do it... If I were to take both of them solo, I would have to wait until next year I think when they're 4.5 and almost 2 years old.... It would just be much easier. Thinking about just taking my 3 year old and leaving the baby with hubby....

That is probably a better idea. I have done many Mama and me trips individually with my 2 kids. I would switch off years. It really is nice to get one on one time with your child. I think especially as they get older, they tend to open up more to you when there are no other distractions(or witnesses). LOL

Minnie1986

That sounds much more manageable, and will make for a great memory between you and the 3 year old.

kimberlymautz

I think the idea of going with just your 3 year old is a sweet idea! Then you'll get some special one on one time that I'm sure isn't very often with your other little one right now and daddy will get some extra time with baby.

I don't think both would be THAT bad, but I know when we took my daughter and niece in September (5 and 2.5) we had to keep my niece in the stroller almost the entire time because when we'd let her out she'd try to run. If you could bring a carrier just for getting on and off rides and then move the baby into the stroller for the longer treks I think you'd be good though. Good luck with whatever you choose! I'm sure you'll have a great time either way!

DiSnEyF@n

Original Poster
I think the idea of going with just your 3 year old is a sweet idea! Then you'll get some special one on one time that I'm sure isn't very often with your other little one right now and daddy will get some extra time with baby.

I don't think both would be THAT bad, but I know when we took my daughter and niece in September (5 and 2.5) we had to keep my niece in the stroller almost the entire time because when we'd let her out she'd try to run. If you could bring a carrier just for getting on and off rides and then move the baby into the stroller for the longer treks I think you'd be good though. Good luck with whatever you choose! I'm sure you'll have a great time either way!

Your positivity is amazing! Thanks for that. I'm stuck between both ideas... but I think in the end going with just my 3 year old is probably what's best.

Debbie

I thought the same thing and could only think of suggesting that wine might be helpful ;). Seriously, I feel bringing toddlers, as well as any kid up to 10 depends on their disposition. My younger son was laid back and easy going; always happy whatever and where ever we went. He never ran from us (he was trained for Mardi Gras parades not to wander), and he was the patient kid who waited his turn to see the characters. My older one, however, was another story, requiring me to bring Excedrin Headache along. I enjoyed Disney much more when he turned 12 or so....

Gillyanne

Stealing this tread if that's OK since it's the same age-ish question....

While I know the ins and outs with the kid(s) in the park, I'll be going with ones both under 3 as well and I was curious if there's a 'limit' to how many under 3s per ticket? My mother will be with us as well, but I'm not sure if she'd go to the parks each day, and even then she's not much on going into the character meets etc. So can I get both in on 1 ticket and then also both in on 1 FP+? I figure when it's just me it'll mostly just to hit some M&Gs as it'll probably be more manageable than trying to get both on/off rides (and while new to it/don't do often, thinking of wearing the smaller child but the carrier I have can get HOT, and he's warm most of the time already, so that may just drown us) but before I get too set in my ideas, I want to make sure I can get both through....

jaklgreen

Stealing this tread if that's OK since it's the same age-ish question....

While I know the ins and outs with the kid(s) in the park, I'll be going with ones both under 3 as well and I was curious if there's a 'limit' to how many under 3s per ticket? My mother will be with us as well, but I'm not sure if she'd go to the parks each day, and even then she's not much on going into the character meets etc. So can I get both in on 1 ticket and then also both in on 1 FP+? I figure when it's just me it'll mostly just to hit some M&Gs as it'll probably be more manageable than trying to get both on/off rides (and while new to it/don't do often, thinking of wearing the smaller child but the carrier I have can get HOT, and he's warm most of the time already, so that may just drown us) but before I get too set in my ideas, I want to make sure I can get both through....
Any child that is eligible can get in for free no matter how many adults are with them. It's not like a restaurant where you get 1 kid meal free with adult purchase. I went years ago when my kids where 2 and 3 and had no issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom