Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know this topic has come up a few times in the past, but is this Guardians project being internally justified as a Captain EO successor? What with a ragtag band of alien inter-galactic crime stoppers with a human leader that LOVES to dance to the strains of 70's/80's music?

Call it a Captain EO coaster and see if anyone notices the difference.

bcoachable

Disney stretches construction jobs out now, more for spreading expenditures over quarters to keep the books looking nice at the end of the year(s). They could build it much quicker, but financially they like to hold on to the green as long as they can to keep the books looking pretty...

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Disney stretches construction jobs out now, more for spreading expenditures over quarters to keep the books looking nice at the end of the year(s). They could build it much quicker, but financially they like to hold on to the green as long as they can to keep the books looking pretty...

People were saying this is the reason SWL in DHS wasn't going to finish until 2021. Just string out construction as long as you can to spread expenditures over quarters and years. Never mind equipment and materials are laying out in the elements for years. Never mind you're not making money from a completed project. Just watch the books!

Some problems with that:

1. That's not how accounting works. Money and budgets can be moved into all sorts of buckets so that a huge up-front expenditure can be spread out over the course of future quarterly reports. Capital expenditures can be separated out of financial statements to show ordinary revenue and income.

2. Once you start building, it's insane to drag along the project. Insane. (Unless you didn't have the money upfront to begin with... but that's not Disney's problem.) Once you start building, you hurt your project by dragging it out. Prolonged exposure to the elements is... insane.

3. People were wrong about how Disney was going to drag out building SWL. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Shortly after the prognosticators were declaring how long the project was going to take, Disney announced 2019 for both parks.

4. When you compare construction projects of Disney to, let's say, Universal Orlando; while Disney does on average take longer, it's not significantly longer. (This is comparing groundbreaking to completion.) There is no data that shows a comparable Disney Project is strung out 300% longer than Universal... more like 30% longer. That's not a sign of spreading construction costs over quarters and years.​

bcoachable

Gotcha Penguin-
Tell me then if you do not mind, why does it take so long for Disney to complete projects? Is it that it takes longer time to mold and form concrete into rock like mountains today than it did two decades ago? Maybe Disney is taking longer these days in order to build the excitement level into a frothy frenzy so they can really "Pull em in" on opening day?

Mike S

Ron? Yes, he kindly filled in some gaps.
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude...
giphy.gif

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Gotcha Penguin-
Tell me then if you do not mind, why does it take so long for Disney to complete projects? Is it that it takes longer time to mold and form concrete into rock like mountains today than it did two decades ago? Maybe Disney is taking longer these days in order to build the excitement level into a frothy frenzy so they can really "Pull em in" on opening day?

From what I picked up from others: Corporate bloat. When you're big and in the lead, there's no incentive to be mean, lean, and quick. In fact, there's little incentive to do anything until people really start getting tired of you or there's competition coming up from behind. Both those things are happening right now, and so... three lands in three years plus a lot more plussing is on the way. Doldrums of capital investment has suddenly turned around... so a lot is being done... but not necessarily quickly... but not needlessly dragged out either.

djkidkaz

People were saying this is the reason SWL in DHS wasn't going to finish until 2021. Just string out construction as long as you can to spread expenditures over quarters and years. Never mind equipment and materials are laying out in the elements for years. Never mind you're not making money from a completed project. Just watch the books!

Some problems with that:

1. That's not how accounting works. Money and budgets can be moved into all sorts of buckets so that a huge up-front expenditure can be spread out over the course of future quarterly reports. Capital expenditures can be separated out of financial statements to show ordinary revenue and income.

2. Once you start building, it's insane to drag along the project. Insane. (Unless you didn't have the money upfront to begin with... but that's not Disney's problem.) Once you start building, you hurt your project by dragging it out. Prolonged exposure to the elements is... insane.

3. People were wrong about how Disney was going to drag out building SWL. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Shortly after the prognosticators were declaring how long the project was going to take, Disney announced 2019 for both parks.

4. When you compare construction projects of Disney to, let's say, Universal Orlando; while Disney does on average take longer, it's not significantly longer. (This is comparing groundbreaking to completion.) There is no data that shows a comparable Disney Project is strung out 300% longer than Universal... more like 30% longer. That's not a sign of spreading construction costs over quarters and years.​

This. I also think @danlb_2000 once had a comparison list of projects that Disney and Universal had done from start to finish and the time frames to completion were very similar.

Also, I don't know anything about construction but for those that say it takes too long, what would be considered a realistic timeframe for a project like SWL to be completed? There is only so fast you can go when installing all this stuff. It's not just a Walmart building, you have a huge attraction inside that has all this theming and technical stuff that has to be tested and working. Not to mention all the theming outside those attractions and the area. There is a walmart going in near me that when completed will have taken probably 8 months. And that's from a company who isn't hurting for cash and also just a very simple building that will have the walls painted white and a bunch of shelving installed. It's also the same exact structure they've built thousands of times, not some one of a kind theme park attraction.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This. I also think @danlb_2000 once had a comparison list of projects that Disney and Universal had done from start to finish and the time frames to completion were very similar.

Also, I don't know anything about construction but for those that say it takes too long, what would be considered a realistic timeframe for a project like SWL to be completed? There is only so fast you can go when installing all this stuff. It's not just a Walmart building, you have a huge attraction inside that has all this theming and technical stuff that has to be tested and working. Not to mention all the theming outside those attractions and the area. There is a walmart going in near me that when completed will have taken probably 8 months. And that's from a company who isn't hurting for cash and also just a very simple building that will have the walls painted white and a bunch of shelving installed. It's also the same exact structure they've built thousands of times, not some one of a kind theme park attraction.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/construction-times.875058/#post-5746037

Yes, some of the big projects are comparable is time but there are also projects that are also cases where it really seems that Disney is stretching things out. For example the third track for TSMM appears to have taken longer then it took to build the original attraction. The Tangled Restrooms took 22 months, that it just seven months less then either phase of Wizarding World.

RSoxNo1

The voice actor of the Dreamfinder in the original ride.
He was not the main voice of the Dreamfinder in the original ride, but he did voice two of the couplets. Not sure which ones, but they were in this group:

Technology, like a new found potion. Allows us to marvel at mysteries of motion. Water dances where visions begin. Science reveals a life within. I'll wind this dial and time the escapes. Watch minerals change to crystal shapes. Let's look at nature at this speed. From germination, than back to seed. Skyrockets soar towards outer space. Imagine yourself in an infinite place.

He was also one of the original Dreamfinder walk around characters.

No Name

If they have Doctor Strange and the Guardians, I feel that they should use those for two rides as the basis of a Super Hero Land in DHS. The Guardians E-ticket replacing the Indy stunt show, next to a Doctor Strange retheme of Star Tours.

That, in my opinion, is a far better plan. Arguably more marketable, reduces the ops budget, puts the Guardians E-ticket in a much more fitting place, and solves the Star Tours issue.

NoChesterHester

If they have Doctor Strange and the Guardians, I feel that they should use those for two rides as the basis of a Super Hero Land in DHS. The Guardians E-ticket replacing the Indy stunt show, next to a Doctor Strange retheme of Star Tours.

That, in my opinion, is a far better plan. Arguably more marketable, reduces the ops budget, puts the Guardians E-ticket in a much more fitting place, and solves the Star Tours issue.

I don't see Disney doing a Super Hero land in Florida without being able to market the name "Marvel."

Haymarket2008

Now that the plans for Guardians have been unearthed via permits, the reasoning behind putting it in Epcot is even more confusing. A LARGE portion of this attraction is an entirely new build. This isn't being retrofitted into the space one pavilion houses. Some of it is, but not a whole lot. Why spend all that money clearing and developing land in Epcot, when the prep in DHS would be FAR less taxing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom