News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

NormC

I honestly think there would be less concern if Disney announced teleportation between parks.
tl-horizontal_main.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just came across this recently online. No clue if it's a reputable source or not but to summarize: Disney and the manufacturer are targeting a standard evac protocol for the gondolas at 12 mins since the gondolas won't have AC. They are at 15 minutes but Disney is pushing for 12 for guest comfort.

Can any of the insiders confirm this?

https://www.google.com/amp/ridevine.io/2017/04/rumor-disney-world-gondolas-wont-ac/amp/

Don't know for sure if it's true or not, but the Orlando Sentinel article that confirmed the project is happening said that they have gotten access to a large number of e-mail between Disney and the manufacturer. It's possible this site also got access to some of those e-mails.

I am wondering if the 12 minutes is the time to evacuate the cars from the ground, or the time it would take to bring the cars back to a station using some sort of backup drive system. I can't see them being able to evacuate the entire system in 12 minutes unless they had a lot of equipment and personnel so they could do multiple cars at one time.

mmascari

I just came across this recently online. No clue if it's a reputable source or not but to summarize: Disney and the manufacturer are targeting a standard evac protocol for the gondolas at 12 mins since the gondolas won't have AC. They are at 15 minutes but Disney is pushing for 12 for guest comfort.

12 minutes for evacuation ... seems pretty un-likely since most attractions arent evacuated for at least 20-30 minutes. In this case due to more heat re-lated reasons i could see the call being made sooner. But what is the timeline, if the gondola stops and cant be recovered in 2 minutes is the decision to evac. thus creating an call for all RCID firetrucks in order to remove all guests in 12 minutes. can the trucks even get there in 12 minutes?

I don't think this protocol means what you think it means. Stop for a second and think about the difference in time we're talking about, it's only 3 minutes. For a full on rescue operation from a gondola hanging on the line not in a station, 3 minutes might as well be the time time it takes to double check all the safety harnesses to be sure no one falls rescuer or guest.

I assume the 12 minutes would be from the time they called to order the evac not the time the system stops. I'm sure it will stop more frequently for simple issues like load/unload delays. An evac would only occur if the system failed and they couldn't get it back running again.

It shouldn't stop almost ever. While we don't know the details yet, it's not hard to guess at some of them. The car in the station could easily take anywhere from 1 to 2 minutes of slow moving time. That's 30-60 seconds to unload, and 30-60 seconds to load. On a zero entry no lip roll on no transfer load. For most guests walking on, it'll take about 5 seconds give or take to load. For the group herding 4 toddlers, 10-20 seconds. And, maybe 30 seconds for a chair or mobility aid. These things typically move so slow, they're practically stopped (or can feel that way).

Vehicles for land and above water rescues are indeed included.

Here's all the vehicles everyone is picturing. But, and I don't know if this was on purpose or not, notice it says "rescue" and not "evac". It may sound like I'm picking at words here, but it's an important distinction, and makes that 3 minute different more appropriate.

I think what everyone is picturing, trucks and boats, ladders, guys in harnesses, frightened guests being lowered to the ground from a gondola suspended in the air, this should be called a "rescue" and NOT an evacuation. Something super bad has happened at this point, with many failures one after the other cascading into an issue that requires rescue. Needs to be planned for, but hopefully never happens.

In contrast, an "evacuation" is more likely just getting everyone off the line. Something bad happens to the primary systems and a backup system is turned on. No new passengers are loaded and the backup system continues to move the line until all passengers are able to get off.

In this scenario, 3 minutes has more meaning. Presumably, a backup system moves the line slower than the primary system, and they're asking for that speed to be increased to clear the entire line 3 minutes faster. Especially with a reason of "guest comfort". Since, there isn't anything remotely comfortable about being rescued, while getting off the line in a more timely fashion is perfectly pleasant.

Side note, assuming these times are valid, it tells us something about normal operation. Normal operation should be faster than a backup system. If the backup time is 15 minutes with a goal of 12, normal transit time is going to be shorter, maybe 10 or less minutes. Not enough context about about where evacuation might take place to know what links are in that time. In an evacuation, they might unload you someplace not normal, like a turning station too. Still, that puts the speed in line with speculation.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'm just sitting over here with my mind blown that you "experts" can't figure out an easy way to generate enough power from the Florida sun, from gondola motion, and from being docked at a station to power small AC units.

This is simple electronics/electrical theory. Theoretically they could pull plenty of power by combining all three methods with diversion load controllers and a simple interface circuit to feed the proper amount of power needed to charge a super capacitor and drive a small AC unit at the same time.

..but what do I know, you people are obviously far more intelligent.

Also, great job at ignoring @larryz pointing out that patent.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You guys are giving that web page WAY too much credit. The 12mins time is not a time to evac the whole system or even from failure to evac start. It's information way out of context and certainly misused.

The patent posted? You mean the stupid icebox? People ignored it because just because you get a patent doesn't make it a good idea or even a notable one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm just sitting over here with my mind blown that you "experts" can't figure out an easy way to generate enough power from the Florida sun, from gondola motion, and from being docked at a station to power small AC units.

Thermodynamics... Conservation of Energy... laws of nature you don't beat by just repeating yourself on the internet.

Us smart people understand the basic electrical theory that the ask requires high wattage and voltage... while solar is very bad at providing both of those things. A square foot of solar panels is only about 12W of power. Self-contained coolers are usually more like 500W of power.

What is the #1 consumer of energy in your home? Your A/C systems... They are power hungry. Why isn't AC just everywhere? Why don't we have AC backpacks by now? Because they are power hungry, heavy, and complex systems.

And people wonder why manufacturers don't want to put them on every gondola by default?

G00fyDad

Wow. This is a lot of discussion about how to cool off the guests in a gondola when it is common sense that the cars will be as cool or cold as Disney can make them. At the end of the day they are not going to make people sweat themselves to death in a hotbox. It doesn't matter if the car is cooled by an onboard AC unit or dynamic airflow venting. They will be cooled. You want to know how I know? Get in your car without running it on in the 90°+ heat and sit there. THAT is why I know Disney will cool these things off. Why does it matter "how"? If they have onboard AC units then people are going to complain because all the "bought air" flows right out the doors every time they open. And if they use venting people are going to complian because they don't have onboard AC.
Yzma%2Bemperors%2Bnew%2Bgroove%2Bfacepalm.gif

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

This is simple electronics/electrical theory. Theoretically they could pull plenty of power by combining all three methods with diversion load controllers and a simple interface circuit to feed the proper amount of power needed to charge a super capacitor and drive a small AC unit at the same time.

..but what do I know, you people are obviously far more intelligent.

Also, great job at ignoring @larryz pointing out that patent.

Supercapacitor is exactly how the London system works. No on here is saying that AC in a gondola is impossible, all we are saying is Disney has chosen not to go that route because there are tradeoffs.

... and just because something is patented doesn't mean it's practical. The patent looks interesting but it's unclear how long the ice would last and what mechanism would be needed to re-load the car with new ice.

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Thermodynamics... Conservation of Energy... laws of nature you don't beat by just repeating yourself on the internet.

Us smart people understand the basic electrical theory that the ask requires high wattage and voltage... while solar is very bad at providing both of those things. A square foot of solar panels is only about 12W of power. Self-contained coolers are usually more like 500W of power.

What is the #1 consumer of energy in your home? Your A/C systems... They are power hungry. Why isn't AC just everywhere? Why don't we have AC backpacks by now? Because they are power hungry, heavy, and complex systems.

And people wonder why manufacturers don't want to put them on every gondola by default?

Now you're just making yourself look bad.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Supercapacitor is exactly how the London system works. No on here is saying that AC in a gondola is impossible, all we are saying is Disney has chosen not to go that route because there are tradeoffs.

... and just because something is patented doesn't mean it's practical. The patent looks interesting but it's unclear how long the ice would last and what mechanism would be needed to re-load the car with new ice.

I'm glad that you're not as arrogant as some of the others in this thread. Thanks for that.

truecoat

What if lightning hit the teleporter as I was being teleported? Florida is lightning capital of the galaxy, you know!

I wondered about that and sure enough look at the top 10 cities for lightning.

1. Fort Myers, Florida: 88.0 days

2. Tampa, Florida: 82.7 days

3. Tallahassee, Florida: 82.5 days

4. Orlando, Florida: 81.8 days

5. West Palm Beach, Florida: 76.8 days

6. Lake Charles, Louisiana: 75.8 days

7. Mobile, Alabama: 75.5 days

8. Daytona Beach, Florida: 73.4 days

9. Miami, Florida: 72.3 days

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom