Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

Admiral01

Premium Member
Apologies if it has been discussed already - does this signify the end of Impressions de France? Or will the rat be added without us losing the classic Impressions movie attraction?

Daveeeeed

To those who have experienced the original ride in Paris, what worked best, and what are it's weaknesses? What tweaks would you hope to see, assuming the Epcot ride will be mostly similar, but perhaps with some differences?
Let's start with the mini-land itself that will NOT come to EPCOT. It is set in essentially Pixar's Paris, I suppose the France pavilion, since generally themed to Paris, will not have to have some form of a transition to Paris. Walt Disney Studios' Rat Mini-land is romanticized, something Epcot does not have, so it will be interesting to see how they do the exterior, but I am certain they will not cheap out.

The ride has a nice capacity of well over 2,000 per hour, so that should be great for the park.

The ride is an 8.5/10 to me. IMO, it's a bit better than Test Track & Soarin', but it is no Super Headliner like Forbidden Journey, Indiana Jones Adventure, or Radiator Springs Racers. It's very good overall, but the last kitchen screen scene feels bare. Definitely could use some props there, but other than that the ride does not need to be altered that much. Pacing is good, pretty well storyboarded, and the bottom line is that it's a great ride.

A downside is that since EPCOT has soooo many screen rides, this is a screen ride, but I don't think it will feel repetitive as most of EPCOT's rides are very bad or outdated, so the only good two screen rides ATM is Soarin' & Mission: Space. But the park should definitely not be getting more (looking at you Guardians, but I suppose that is better than nothing).

Ironically one of its biggest restrictions is being trackless, as unlike Mystic Manor, by it relying so heavily on screens it feels a bit flat at times. The screens end abruptly at the floor. It would be awesome if there were some props between the screen and the floor. But the vehicles are higher tech than the other LPS rides as it does in fact have an axis of motion. Subtle, but still significant as they react with the screens well. They just need to be used in more scenes this go round.

It does use scents, synchronization with the screens, and subtle vehicle movements which helps make it better than Kong over at Universal in my honest opinion. While Kong feels underwhelming (in the same way Little Mermaid did as a C-ticket with its epic queue) Ratatouille feels like the ride's scale is appropriate to its ticket class: E. Besides the Loading area, and one queue scene the queue is pretty bare, so I would definitely expect them to beef up the extended queue Epcot will have. It would also make sense to add one or two Remy animatronics in the queue, and moving props in front of the screens.

A would like to mention that this ride has one of the (if not the best) loading areas of any ride. Very well executed. It's really part of the ride in itself.

It is definitely one of the best fits for an IP in France possible. The Hunchback of Norte Dame is quite possibly the only one that would be better (more based on Victor Hugo's novel than the film), but at least this is a proven ride. I just wish for me it would be unique:p. Exciting nonetheless as it is a far more fitting IP than Frozen was to Norway.
Be warned that if you are very sensitive to motion sickness you most likely will at least be slightly affected.

Last edited:

MCast

So it looks like the France pavilion will have:
  • A brand new ride
  • Some type of film
  • Two table service restaurants
  • A counter service restaurant
  • An ice cream/sorbet parlor
  • A perfume shop
  • A wine shop
  • Two little alcohol/crepe kiosks
If only the other World Showcase countries could receive this kind of love. (I'm looking at you, Canada).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
  • A brand new ride
  • Some type of film
  • A perfume shop
  • A wine shop
If only the other World Showcase countries could receive this kind of love. (I'm looking at you, Canada).
They could just reopen the store space as actual stores...

jt04

It's looking like they chose the option that will avoid the theatre. What goes in it could change though.

If the choice is between the theater and an expansion pad that can eventually host an entirely new country I'd rather they gut the theater. No contest.

raven

It's looking like they chose the option that will avoid the theatre. What goes in it could change though.
That would be a nice change. Recently Disney has steered away from "plussing" and have done more "replacing" than anything. Adding attractions is better than taking one out to put in a newer one. Lord knows WDW needs more guest-swallowing attractions.

Princess Leia

• A brand new ride
  • Some type of film
  • A perfume shop
  • A wine shop
Make the Canadian Pavilion Great Again

Seriously, wth is with Disney disrespecting our Northern neighbor like that? It needs a QS restaurant, or at least some food stands that serve more than popcorn. A maple dessert shop would be much appreciated. And poutine.

There is so much more that could be done with Canada, and Disney's doing the bare minimum. :grumpy:

Kman101

Make the Canadian Pavilion Great Again

Seriously, wth is with Disney disrespecting our Northern neighbor like that? It needs a QS restaurant, or at least some food stands that serve more than popcorn. A maple dessert shop would be much appreciated. And poutine.

There is so much more that could be done with Canada, and Disney's doing the bare minimum. :grumpy:

Wasn't there once a blue sky rapids ride planned for the pavilion? I mean, anything would be great at this point

Princess Leia

Wasn't there once a blue sky rapids ride planned for the pavilion? I mean, anything would be great at this point
I think I've only seen the rapids ride mentioned around these boards, so I'm not sure. edit- thanks Martin for clearing that up.

Between my trip to Montreal last year (mostly did artsy things around the city, as well as eating and drinking anything I was presented), and a close friend's trip to Alberta and BC this month (where she had more of an outdoor adventure with horseback riding and riding the rapids), I really think Disney's missing the mark.

Last edited:

Kman101

I think I've only seen the rapids ride mentioned around these boards, so I'm not sure. edit- thanks Martin for clearing that up.

Between my trip to Montreal last year (mostly did artsy things around the city, as well as eating and drinking anything I was presented), and a close friend's trip to Alberta and BC this month (where she had more of an outdoor adventure with horseback riding and riding the rapids), I really think Disney's missing the mark.

I've watched Amazing Race Canada and Canada has SUCH a vast landscape, I can't wait to visit it one day. So many things they could do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom