News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

MCast

Yeah. This ones been bounced from pillar to post. I just hope the delay means they'll pick the right one and not the wrong one.

What are the key differences between the right and wrong options? Do they contrast that much? (Apologies for the numerous questions)

clemmo

I can't say at this time. But if they build the right one I'll tell you about the wrong one.

And if they do the wrong one you'll know why it's wrong.
Are they leaning towards one or the other? Also to be done by 2020 this needs to be moving along much quicker than it seems to be imo.

Ralphlaw

I've said it many times before, but I truly wonder about the snail's pace of new things at WDW. Except for DVC places, which seem to go from concept to drawing board to grand opening in about two weeks, everything Disney seems to take forever these days. Pandora took about 27 years to finally open, Rivers of Light a decade or two, and all other truly new stuff just seems to stagnate. Of course, if you put Elsa on it, you can move pretty fast.

Yeah, small exaggerations, but to build something with moving parts that's actually new simply takes forever. DL and WDW were built in less time than Pandora took. You'd think a single attraction like a Tron Coaster could go from concept to grand opening in a couple years, but instead it seems to take about the same amount of time as a good student spends to go from Freshman year to Master's degree.

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." Walt Disney

Just saying . . .

HMF

Will either of the proposals include a new area soundtrack? Silly but it's one of the biggest things to me.
I really doubt they would go through the expense of re-doing the spine while still having 90s-era New age music as the background score. I would most definitely expect a new loop to complement the new surroundings.

JWG

Can someone just help me understand what the theme of either Epcot or DHS are? Both feel like the theme has simply become "mish mash of whatever IP we decide to land here". I'll give the exception that at least in World Showcase they continue to try and drop relevant country related IP into each country. But, outside of that, any type of overall thematic design is lost on me other than "IP land".

trainplane3

I really doubt they would go through the expense of re-doing the spine while still having 90s-era New age music as the background score. I would most definitely expect a new loop to complement the new surroundings.
I completely agree. It's just, you never know how much effort they'll put into a project.

HMF

Can someone just help me understand what the theme of either Epcot or DHS are? Both feel like the theme has simply become "mish mash of whatever IP we decide to land here". I'll give the exception that at least in World Showcase they continue to try and drop relevant country related IP into each country. But, outside of that, any type of overall thematic design is lost on me other than "IP land".
DHS-IP dumping ground
Epcot- The same but with some vague semblance of an over-riding theme

montyz81

It's mostly lost on them because it is much harder to discern these days since they messed with it so much.
Part of me thinks that it is also lost on the leadership. After Eisner began to muddy the concept of FW through the 90s (because people didn't want to be educated on vacation), the original intent was harder to notice. It was very clear on opening day what FW was attempting to do. (In my opinion that was to tech people to dream big, which may have influenced some of the innovations we enjoy today!) It is damn near impossible to see any of that today or walk out of that park with an inspirational feeling. I was 12 years old when I visited Epcot Center March 1983. I could not get enough of EC. I was so inspired that I spent time after that on a TRS-80 writing programs in BASIC and actually animating graphics with it. It was very difficult to do in BASIC, but I was inspired to find a way. You just can't get any of that in Epcot today! I honestly think that the leaders who were there in 1983 have forgotten and the ones that were not have never been shown, that and the greenbacks from investors completely cloud their judgement. As I have said before, if done right 1983 and today's world of digital interference could be combined to entertain and educate in a way that is fun and inspirational! The leaders just need to spend the extra money to get there and prove to investors that they will make even more money with that approach. Guests have amazing fun and investors get rich... what a concept!

P_Radden

We spent half a day in Future World yesterday. It was very comforting to hear that Innovations Loop loudly coming out of those speakers once again. Throughout the day we heard various people whistling to the tune, my wife and I included. This will be our only trip down here this year so it was very nice to take it easy and soak it all in. Thee only thing we didn't get to ride was Imagination because it was down at the time.

Universe of energy was a lot of fun and the theater was not even a quarter of the way full. My wife and I sat in the very middle vehicle towards the back so we got to watch everyone's reactions as well as have a nice centered view of everything. I was shocked at how smooth and quiet the ride vehicles were, all these years later and you cant hardly hear them moving at all. Also the big bang scene was absolutely fantastic, and that alone made us want to go back and ride It again. I love all the huge screens, the traveling/rotating theater seats, everything but the old film. It seems to me like the only thing that Pavilion needs is a fresh film and updates to the anamatronic scene, as well as something to do afterwards before exiting. Being there in person knowing that it may not be around next time we come back was kind of bittersweet.

The Innoventions area will definitely be much better once they actually use the buildings to their full potential again. It will also be very nice to have those tarps and Pin Station removed. I sincerly hope that removal will renew focus on the fountain as the fountain is still as beautiful as ever.

In Future World West, we had a great time. We bypassed the Nemo ride and walked straight into Seabase Alpha to enjoy some marine life. It really is still Seabase Alpha just with a crappy paint job.. @marni1971 do you know if the marine life Institute will gut out the 1986 look and feel of the Seabase area?

The Land Pavilion was fantastic as always. We spent almost 3 hours in there doing all three attractions and having lunch. This Pavilion needs the least work of everything in future world. It truly is one of the last remaining gems of Epcot Center and hands down the best Pavilion in future world.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Can someone just help me understand what the theme of either Epcot or DHS are?
DHS - Disney Movie Land. Where you get to walk around in immersive environments of your favourite Disney franchises

FW East - Thrill Ride Land. A coaster, M:S II, TT 2
FW West - Family Fun Land. Nemo, Soarin, Short film festival and purple dragon
Spine - Spine work will replace the pin station for a stage featuring a Spinal Tap tribute band

WS - Fantasyland 2.0 by day, World Drunky Town by night

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom