Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

Uni only has to properly maintain the attractions, nothing in the contract requires them to match what they are doing with other IPs.
Uni has to maintain them to a first right standard. in other words they have to maintain them to the quality of their other attractions. If they are not maintained to the quality of HP, Disney can complaint to the arbitrator and the arbitrator will decide if they are kept to that standard and decide if Uni is following the contract. If Uni does not keep them up, they can lose the rights.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Comcast isn't about to sell the Marvel licensing back or share it with Disney. End of story. It's one of the most, and it could arguably be the most, valuable licensed property in its arsenal. What company in its right mind is going to say, "Sure, Mr. Competitor Company, we'll sell you back your IP so you can use it against us!"?

Rodan75

If Uni keeps investing heavily in all these IP's couldn't Disney eventually argue the ability to cancel it over Uni's negligence of the IP? Universal is kind of establishing "this is how you do an IP right" and Marvel clearly isn't getting the same treatment.

I'm not sure which side you are arguing there, but Mission Breakout (for better or worse) is getting good reviews and Pandora is a success. So managing IPs successfully would likely be a wash. Honestly for as much as I think that Disney could work the loop holes in Orlando and open rides at DCA that use the Avengers well and just act like IoA doesn't exist. I think it is 50/50 that they make IoA part of this Marvel Theme Park Universe (should it come to pass) and include whatever rides Universal has up their sleeves.

I realize most here, including myself, don't like what happened with ToT in DCA, but it hasn't been a disaster with the locals.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Comcast isn't about to sell the Marvel licensing back or share it with Disney. End of story. It's one of the most, and it could arguably be the most, valuable licensed property in its arsenal. What company in its right mind is going to say, "Sure, Mr. Competitor Company, we'll sell you back your IP so you can use it against us!"?

Weirder things have happened.

You never know what kind of trouble Comcast can get into. Or how Universal can overextend themselves (new parks, new resorts, new lands) without generating enough income to cover it.

In the comics-world, Disney-Marvel have pretty much killed off the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. 20th Century Fox have pretty much killed off the Fantastic Four cinematically. The cinematic X-Men franchise is starting to crumble under its own weight (esp. with Wolverine's swan song done).

The leaves Universal with just Spider-Man and the Hulk as the only viable and popular anchors to a land. How long and far will that get them? How much merch will that move (especially since you can get Marvel merch at WDW)?

It's to everyone's interest to renegotiate and be generous to each other.

lazyboy97o

You never know what kind of trouble Comcast can get into. Or how Universal can overextend themselves (new parks, new resorts, new lands) without generating enough income to cover it.

In the comics-world, Disney-Marvel have pretty much killed off the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. 20th Century Fox have pretty much killed off the Fantastic Four cinematically. The cinematic X-Men franchise is starting to crumble under its own weight (esp. with Wolverine's swan song done).

The leaves Universal with just Spider-Man and the Hulk as the only viable and popular anchors to a land. How long and far will that get them? How much merch will that move (especially since you can get Marvel merch at WDW)?

Universal has a set licensing fee that can be predicted and has access to more characters than just the two you name. It is not at all in Universal's interest to renegotiate.

SpaceMountain77

My continued frustration with this thread stems from the lack of greater context. For me, it is difficult to form an opinion on the prospect of the replacement of the Universe of Energy without knowing the overarching plans for Epcot and, specifically, Future World. If Future World is to become an area dedicated to pseudoscience and/or science-fiction, then the addition will likely work well for what is planned. However, if Future World will somehow continue to celebrate human achievements and inspire, then the addition of science-fiction will stand in stark contrast to the biological (e.g., The Land, The Seas) and physical science (e.g., Mission: Space, Test Track) pavilions.

I have accepted the fact that we will not see a revitalized Epcot that draws inspiration from its initial founding. Also, I am truly disappointed that the aim of the Universe of Energy may be replaced with an attraction that simply provides a short thrill via a roller coaster. It is my fear that disturbs me most, which is the unknown direction for Epcot's thematic future.

Rodan75

I doubt they will completely renegotiate, but there is room to work. We've seen Marvel do quite a bit lately in respect to partnership; The MCU welcoming Spider-Man despite being licensed to Sony (even if Sony looks to be taking advantage now: Sad Kevin Feige), Marvel Television approving and working with Fox for X-Verse related TV shows and the comics have brought back X-Men in a big way over the past year and sidelined the Inhumans to an extent.

To your end point, there is a lot of benefit to the companies working together.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Uni has to maintain them to a first right standard. in other words they have to maintain them to the quality of their other attractions. If they are not maintained to the quality of HP, Disney can complaint to the arbitrator and the arbitrator will decide if they are kept to that standard and decide if Uni is following the contract. If Uni does not keep them up, they can lose the rights.

I personally don't believe that has anything to do with the actual content of the attraction, it just means they can't let it fall apart, they must keep up proper maintenance. I don't believe, for example, Disney could claim that HP is a much more immersive land so Marvel land has to be upgraded to also make it more immersive, or that HP has the interactive wand experience, so Marvel land also has to have something like that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I personally don't believe that has anything to do with the actual content of the attraction, it just means they can't let it fall apart, they must keep up proper maintenance. I don't believe, for example, Disney could claim that HP is a much more immersive land so Marvel land has to be upgraded to also make it more immersive, or that HP has the interactive wand experience, so Marvel land also has to have something like that.

This. An attraction has to be maintained to what we would call its opening day standard. Not anything subsequently built elsewhere.

njDizFan

The way I see it, if they are rebranding the park, they could just create 2 separate gates. Changing FW into a superhero/marvel based thrill ride park. Separate pavilions for space, land, sea, energy, history, body, transportation but with a superhero theme. Then add a princess into each WS pavilion with it's own small dark ride. Blamo 5 gates with separate admissions!!

;)

AC21075

I think it is 50/50 that they make IoA part of this Marvel Theme Park Universe (should it come to pass) and include whatever rides Universal has up their sleeves.
But aren't Universal's Marvel rights somewhat limited to the pre-MCU comic book versions of the characters in question? Like, Universal can draw on the canon of Iron Man or Captain America that existed in the comics, but they can't use an obvious RDJ version of Iron Man or make a ride based on the events of Age of Ultron. I think that would be the biggest block to any cross park synergy - I'm sure Disney wants the Theme Park Universe to easily fit in with the movies, even if they have their own stories.

Haymarket2008

Right now self contained. There are proposals to take it further but that's all they are.

Glad to hear it. Well....all things considered. Is it safe to assume the "train has left the station" in regards to a better IP taking Guardians' spot? Is this a done deal?

lazyboy97o

But aren't Universal's Marvel rights somewhat limited to the pre-MCU comic book versions of the characters in question? Like, Universal can draw on the canon of Iron Man or Captain America that existed in the comics, but they can't use an obvious RDJ version of Iron Man or make a ride based on the events of Age of Ultron. I think that would be the biggest block to any cross park synergy - I'm sure Disney wants the Theme Park Universe to easily fit in with the movies, even if they have their own stories.
Th exclusivity clause says Universal has access to future characters (shrunk to families in use) and must match the style guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom