Pop Century Room Rehab

Animaniac93-98

Much better looking now (especially the bathroom/vanity area). The, larger beds and extra floor, outlets and counter space are certainly appreciated.

Some more colour on the walls would be nice, but that's my only complaint here.

I'm indifferent to carpet vs no carpet.

Bocabear

I agree there is a lot of white, but when the bed is up it's darker which makes the room less white. Also once you add dark luggage and all the colors that show up when we stay in rooms it won't be quite as white. Also, in a smaller room with minimal natural lighting, the white will make the room feel larger.
and if you dress in colorful clothing it might make the room feel more colorful...lol what a convoluted idea...

Weather_Lady

I think the rehabbed rooms look nice -- I do think that leaving the floor color so neutral and boring was a missed opportunity to have added some much-needed warmth and color. Although sleek and updated, the room looks like it belongs in the "Meh Century" resort, and something tells me that the sea of white walls and white lacquered furniture is going to look cheap, dated and shabby in no time -- all it will take is just a couple of scuffs and chips.

Last edited:

Bocabear

You seem extra feisty lately ...
Do I? I feel like there is less to be gushy about lately... I did really love the Pandora Flight Of Passage attraction...
I need to say at least one positive thing in the forums a day...lol
and the POP room remodel is fine, but uninspired.
I really was blown away by the Cabana Bay resort which is about the same price point...and it makes me wonder why the same level resort at Disney has to feel stripped down...Especially when Disney is the bigger resort with more money...
So now the only theming for the Pop Century Resort is giant fiberglass things on the buildings and rather sterile plain rooms.
I have stayed at POP many times...I liked it's convenient location and the fact that it was newer than the All Star Resorts....
I think they can do better....and really should.

Kman101

Do I? I feel like there is less to be gushy about lately... I did really love the Pandora Flight Of Passage attraction...
I need to say at least one positive thing in the forums a day...lol
and the POP room remodel is fine, but uninspired.
I really was blown away by the Cabana Bay resort which is about the same price point...and it makes me wonder why the same level resort at Disney has to feel stripped down...Especially when Disney is the bigger resort with more money...
So now the only theming for the Pop Century Resort is giant fiberglass things on the buildings and rather sterile plain rooms.
I have stayed at POP many times...I liked it's convenient location and the fact that it was newer than the All Star Resorts....
I think they can do better....and really should.

Was just teasing :) feisty is fun lol. But I'm not fond of the sterile look the hotels seem to be going for. I like some aspects of the update. It seems the charm of rooms is being zapped away at WDW. I think the old look was a bit dingy and due for an update but they can do better.

jakeman

Was just teasing :) feisty is fun lol. But I'm not fond of the sterile look the hotels seem to be going for. I like some aspects of the update. It seems the charm of rooms is being zapped away at WDW. I think the old look was a bit dingy and due for an update but they can do better.
Based on what I've seen from most hotels I've stayed in over the last few years, I'm not sure "better" is the right word.

They are following the industry which is swinging towards this minimalist look across the board. I think it's an improvement, but probably too subtle for the exterior of the building. I'll admit though, I would have no clue how to appropriately unsubtle it. It's a fine line to embrace the purposeful garishness of the outside and not crossover to kitschy on the inside.

Also those that will post, "they should lead the industry blah blah blah", save it. That's not my point.

Kman101

Based on what I've seen from most hotels I've stayed in over the last few years, I'm not sure "better" is the right word.

They are following the industry which is swinging towards this minimalist look across the board. I think it's an improvement, but probably too subtle for the exterior of the building. I'll admit though, I would have no clue how to appropriately unsubtle it. It's a fine line to embrace the purposeful garishness of the outside and not crossover to kitschy on the inside.

Also those that will post, "they should lead the industry blah blah blah", save it. That's not my point.

Yeah it does seem to be the way the hotel industry is going. Maybe an accent wall with a different color ... I'm fine with clean and modern but I think it's sometimes boring lol. They start to look like everyone else.

Bocabear

but "kitschy" is the point of the resort....
They embraced that at Cabana Bay and you have beautifully designed interior spaces full of architectural references of old Miami Beach, and then you walk into the hotel rooms and they actually match the style...they even have retro packaged soaps and shampoo ...it is very well thought out... Step out to one of their two different pool areas.. also beautifully designed...a lazy river, slides, gorgeous landscaping... This is no "All Star big plain pool with a fiberglass sculpture...
and seriously....they should lead the industry... the Disney brand is always touted as being the symbol of innovation and quality...and at WDW they are doing neither in their resrts.

flyerjab

I feel like one of the things that they seem to be more focused on with room rehabs these days is functionality over theme. I have stayed in the new YC rooms. On my computer screen I thought that they looked very 'meh', but when we stayed there we really liked them. The theme is there, but just extremely toned down. It seems to me that way more thought is being placed on developing a more 'user-friendly' room. In the YC rooms, there are so many outlets and phone/device charging ports that an entire traveling circus could stay in one room and everyone could find a charging port. The beds are completely open underneath to allow for more storage in the rooms. There is also more of a focus on drawers and cabinet space for stowing things away. And, one small addition I loved was the placement of a corner shelf between the queen bed and the wall - the spot of the bed I always occupy (there was never a good place for my phone except on the floor which I hated). One nice touch we saw when we toured the new Copper Creek rooms at the SS model was a storage space designed for shoes. It really seems that a more utilitarian approach is being looked at. Also, the TV screens are HUGE, so you could pretty much watch them from the hallway if you wanted.

Hard flooring as opposed to carpets - I assume - are easier to clean and maintain. Additionally, a more sparsely themed room should prove easier to clean on the whole. Apparently, the lack of runners at the foot of the beds are no longer there since people seem to enjoy stealing them. I would imagine that more than just runners have been stolen - did you ever see some items for sale on eBay that most likely were pilfered from Disney rooms? As always, we can thank fellow vacationers for some of these issues.

In the end, I imagine that a more basic room with less themed items is both easier to clean/maintain, while also providing less specifically themed items for folks to walk away with. You can't walk away with a Disney themed runner/pillow/picture/etc., if it is no longer truly themed (or no longer in the room!). It would be like stealing a runner from a Hilton or Marriott I suppose.

RefillableMug

Don't ask Disney about these refurbished rooms because they will deny they even exist. I talked with 2 Cast Members from Guest Services yesterday and they knew nothing of them. One said the only refurbishment at Pop Century is just maintenance to Hour Glass Lake. The other said that there are no room refurbishments and all rooms at Pop Century are decorated the same. Maybe they will get some info about these rooms soon so Guests can learn more.

Epcot82Guy

I feel like one of the things that they seem to be more focused on with room rehabs these days is functionality over theme. I have stayed in the new YC rooms. On my computer screen I thought that they looked very 'meh', but when we stayed there we really liked them. The theme is there, but just extremely toned down. It seems to me that way more thought is being placed on developing a more 'user-friendly' room. In the YC rooms, there are so many outlets and phone/device charging ports that an entire traveling circus could stay in one room and everyone could find a charging port. The beds are completely open underneath to allow for more storage in the rooms. There is also more of a focus on drawers and cabinet space for stowing things away. And, one small addition I loved was the placement of a corner shelf between the queen bed and the wall - the spot of the bed I always occupy (there was never a good place for my phone except on the floor which I hated). One nice touch we saw when we toured the new Copper Creek rooms at the SS model was a storage space designed for shoes. It really seems that a more utilitarian approach is being looked at. Also, the TV screens are HUGE, so you could pretty much watch them from the hallway if you wanted.

Hard flooring as opposed to carpets - I assume - are easier to clean and maintain. Additionally, a more sparsely themed room should prove easier to clean on the whole. Apparently, the lack of runners at the foot of the beds are no longer there since people seem to enjoy stealing them. I would imagine that more than just runners have been stolen - did you ever see some items for sale on eBay that most likely were pilfered from Disney rooms? As always, we can thank fellow vacationers for some of these issues.

In the end, I imagine that a more basic room with less themed items is both easier to clean/maintain, while also providing less specifically themed items for folks to walk away with. You can't walk away with a Disney themed runner/pillow/picture/etc., if it is no longer truly themed (or no longer in the room!). It would be like stealing a runner from a Hilton or Marriott I suppose.

I agree with this. I had the pleasure of staying in a renovated room in May. It was 90% excellent. It is very, very toned down in theme, but I loved finding the hidden touches. I think they went too far, unfortunately. But, quite literally, if they had kept the admiral Mickey lamp or done a new version of something Disney vs. the globe, it would have been a 100% success for me (which isn't typical for rme). I feel similarly here. While there is more Disney in the wall art, it's gone a bit too restrained. However, adding a lamp, painting one wall, etc. are at least signs of progress. The overall design and functionality of both seem to be great upgrades. I'm VERY hopeful for what this could mean for the older DVC rooms.

vcstr

This photo comparison is great and addresses a lot of the things people are saying. When seen side-by-side the new rooms don't look any less plain than the old ones to me, just fresher and cleaner. I agree one subtley-coloured accent wall would have been nice but I'm still *really* hoping for a refurbished room on my trip in two weeks.

Edit: Ooops, sorry I didn't realize we couldn't link to there. But I do think it's important to look at what the old rooms currently look like (bedding included) vs. what they looked like with the old bedding.

Flynnwriter

Let's paint the world white! It seems the designers from wilderness lodge were hired for interior design of these new hospital rooms. They would be great for a kids or family hospital - but as Disney guest rooms they look unfinished and on the cheap side. And any experienced hospitality designer knows that white walls are only white one week. I'd hate to see these 6 months from now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom