PERMITS

SSG

Original Poster
BLD2017-02090 Electrical to install meter and electrical fixtures to support themed vehicles and freestanding pre-fabricated canopy - adjacent to TUCK and ROLL - DCA - Hollywood Picture Backlot Gate 60. REF: BLD2017-01669

TP2000

Project Thermal Springs? M occupancy is merch and A2 is food.

Received BLD2017-02332 WALT DISNEY WORLD CO 1313 S HARBOR BLVD 2104 (Adventureland) Disney - Aventureland Overall - Project Thermal Springs - Change of use from M occupancy to A2 total area 2,154 sq.ft.
I think you just found something!

2,100 square feet is sizable, but not huge. The only thing I can think of is the Adventurland Bazaar. Or, maybe a repurpose of the small mercy area under the Jungle Cruise queue into a Skipper Canteen type experience.

SSG

Original Poster
I think you just found something!

2,100 square feet is sizable, but not huge. The only thing I can think of is the Adventurland Bazaar. Or, maybe a repurpose of the small mercy area under the Jungle Cruise queue into a Skipper Canteen type experience.
IIRC, aren't all the AL shops across from Jungle Cruise?

TP2000

IIRC, aren't all the AL shops across from Jungle Cruise?

It's just one long shop along the right side of Adventureland, although officially it's split into two locations with Adventureland Bazaar and Indiana Jones Outpost sharing the space in an 80/20 split.

But across from the Bazaar an right at the Jungle Cruise exit is Tropical Imports, a shop that sells rubber snakes and bottles of Coke, not necessarily in that order. The upstairs portion of Tropical Imports is part of the Jungle Cruise queue and that little stage they sometimes put bands on. Combined, both levels would be about 2,000 square feet.

Adventureland-49.jpg

SSG

Original Poster
It's just one long shop along the right side of Adventureland, although officially it's split into two locations with Adventureland Bazaar and Indiana Jones Outpost sharing the space in an 80/20 split.

But across from the Bazaar an right at the Jungle Cruise exit is Tropical Imports, a shop that sells rubber snakes and bottles of Coke, not necessarily in that order. The upstairs portion of Tropical Imports is part of the Jungle Cruise queue and that little stage they sometimes put bands on. Combined, both levels would be about 2,000 square feet.

Adventureland-49.jpg

Ah, yes (16 months since my last visit messed with my memory). I think you’re on to something here. I like putting additional dining there instead of Aladdin.

TP2000

Ah, yes (16 months since my last visit messed with my memory). I think you’re on to something here. I like putting additional dining there instead of Aladdin.

No sir, you were the one onto this. Your Permit thread here is one of the most under-rated offerings on this forum. Thank you!

If they are re-zoning from Merchandise to Food Service, that can't be Aladdin. Aladdin was a restaurant for decades and still has kitchen facilities attached now used by Jolly Holiday Bakery on the other side of that complex.

I also can't imagine them giving up the Adventureland Bazaar as the major functioning retail space in that land. But that Tropical Imports Snakes N' Cokes thing with a rarely used second floor above would be perfect for a dining experience themed to Jungle Cruise, a la Skipper Canteen and/or Trader Sam's over at the hotel. And it has a great view of the Jungle Cruise from that second level.

World-Famous-Jungle-Cruise-X3.jpg~original

Since it's just you and me mainly in your hidden gem of a thread you've been cultivating here, I wonder if this doesn't deserve it's own thread based on that single permit filing?

SSG

Original Poster
No sir, you were the one onto this. Your Permit thread here is one of the most under-rated offerings on this forum. Thank you!

If they are re-zoning from Merchandise to Food Service, that can't be Aladdin. Aladdin was a restaurant for decades and still has kitchen facilities attached now used by Jolly Holiday Bakery on the other side of that complex.

I also can't imagine them giving up the Adventureland Bazaar as the major functioning retail space in that land. But that Tropical Imports Snakes N' Cokes thing with a rarely used second floor above would be perfect for a dining experience themed to Jungle Cruise, a la Skipper Canteen and/or Trader Sam's over at the hotel. And it has a great view of the Jungle Cruise from that second level.

Since it's just you and me mainly in your hidden gem of a thread you've been cultivating here, I wonder if this doesn't deserve it's own thread based on that single permit filing?
Good thought. Would you care to do the honors?

Curious Constance

You are a compliment expert, TP.

TP2000

You are a compliment expert, TP.

Thank you. As a Pacific Northwesterner, do you remember Frederick & Nelson by any chance? It was the big fancy department store chain that had it's flagship store in downtown Seattle. This was all before Nordstrom became a thing in the 1970's. Frederick & Nelson succumbed to the Nordstrom juggernaut in the Northwest in the 1990's.

Anyway, Frederick & Nelson used have etiquette classes for children on Sunday afternoons in their Tea Room of the department store. I would get marched over there after Sunday School and was taught how to use an oyster fork, how to introduce a younger adult to an older adult, what to do with your napkin after the cheese course, how to talk to adults at a party and know when to be quiet, how/when to write thank you notes, etc., etc.. It's all stuff that stuck with me for decades.

Children should still get that kind of training, if you ask me. :)

Curious Constance

Thank you. As a Pacific Northwesterner, do you remember Frederick & Nelson by any chance? It was the big fancy department store chain that had it's flagship store in downtown Seattle. This was all before Nordstrom became a thing in the 1970's. Frederick & Nelson succumbed to the Nordstrom juggernaut in the Northwest in the 1990's.

Anyway, Frederick & Nelson used have etiquette classes for children on Sunday afternoons in their Tea Room of the department store. I would get marched over there after Sunday School and was taught how to use an oyster fork, how to introduce a younger adult to an older adult, what to do with your napkin after the cheese course, how to talk to adults at a party and know when to be quiet, how/when to write thank you notes, etc., etc.. It's all stuff that stuck with me for decades.

For the love of god, no wonder you're so fancy! You literally went to fancy school!!!

And I was born in 1978, and lived in Pennsylvania until 1997, so I've never heard of Frederick and Nelson :)

NobodyElse

That reminds me... The Bullocks in Fashion Square (AKA MainPlace) used to have a tea room. A lost era.

EDIT: Here's a story on the Bullock's Wilshire version.

Now, back to Permit Talk. (And my thanks as well to our OP for unearthing these gems.)

TP2000

F & N; creators of the Frango line of chocolates.

Frangos! My goodness, you remember?!? Are you from the Pacific Northwest?

Frango mints were so delicious; the house chocolate mints of Frederick & Nelson and the defacto Hostess Gift for every good Seattle dinner party in the 20th century. In the 1960's they switched to these very mod octagon boxes for them, with an elaborately folding top that was like an origami bow. When Marshall Fields bought out Frederick & Nelson in the 1990's they got the rights to the Frango mints, and I've heard Marshall Fields in Chicago still sells them.

I'm so sorry for the thread drift, honest. Back to permits. Permits, permits, permits...

PacNWTigger

I've heard of Frederick & Nelson's. I don't remember the etiquette classes, but I fondly recollect the Cinnamon Bear at Christmas time. His cookies were awesome in comparison to Santa's candy canes! I also vaguely remember the little monorail train they ran in the toy area around the holidays. The whole store is completely closed now though, and I'm hoping that something spectacular will make that space great again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom