Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

rioriz

From a Rhode perspective, looks like people need to get off his case. He delivered a classicly, detailed AK like attraction, that in All terms cam be seen as a better attraction than what it replaced.

Otterhead

From a Rhode perspective, looks like people need to get off his case.
Actually what made me laugh out loud when watching the video was seeing how Rhode-y it is. Seeing the industrial, GotG-esque look of the outside made me wonder why they had Joe Rhode working on this ride, but as soon as I saw the queue, with all of the Collector's prized objects and the freakin' Adventurer's Club masks on the walls, it's like they told Joe to go "full Rhode" inside.

Otterhead

I saw him about a year ago in LA leaving out of LAX.
One thing that struck me and I thought was pretty cool was how laid back he was.
He posted something recently that struck me as well -- about how he gets recognized all the time because of his distinct look, and how he has Disney fans constantly coming up to him at airports and thanking him... and how much he appreciates it, but that he realizes that "the earring" makes him stand out, and that the thousands of amazing artists who don't stick out in airports aren't getting the thanks they deserve, and that he tries to make up for that. He's a very humble guy for being, well, Joe Rohde.

montyz81

I saw him about a year ago in LA leaving out of LAX.
One thing that struck me and I thought was pretty cool was how laid back he was.
For the most part he appeared to be a pretty regular guy with a couple of duffle bags being carried over his shoulder.
You wouldn't know this guy was insanely rich or important... Def. low key
Truly on par with John, Marc, Roger, Bob, Tony, et all. A Legend truly. Imagine if he worked next to some of those guys. I think he actually worked on Mexico, WoM or Horizons when Epcot first opened. So he did work with some of the originals.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
So they turned DCA's ToT into a screen based attraction? I mean, from the video's I've seen, the story works well and it looks really nice, but I dunno... based on the fact that DCA's has "show rooms" in the main tower and Hollywood Studios does not, not sure this concept would transfer well to WDW... (thus hopefully further confirming what we have heard about it not coming to Orlando). I will say, I'm glad they went with the audio animatronic for Rocket in the pre-show. they could have gone easier and just did something screen based there, but it looks good. Not the BEST animatronic they have done, but I'd put it just one click below Olaf in FEE.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Just read a review on IGN.com.
Not saying this is the definitive review but thought I would share. They essentially go on to say this is a better ride than TOT.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/05/25/the-disneyland-guardians-of-the-galaxy-ride-is-awesome
I think the possibility existed that the ride would be better than the DCA tower. But this change fundamentally changes the park. Yes, Hollywoodland is a thematic mess, but The Hollywood Tower Hotel fit the park and the land. It was a value engineered version of the ride that created sight line issues throughout the park. I would have been more on board if they leveled it and built a new purpose built attraction for the Guardians.

montyz81

So they turned DCA's ToT into a screen based attraction? I mean, from the video's I've seen, the story works well and it looks really nice, but I dunno... based on the fact that DCA's has "show rooms" in the main tower and Hollywood Studios does not, not sure this concept would transfer well to WDW... (thus hopefully further confirming what we have heard about it not coming to Orlando). I will say, I'm glad they went with the audio animatronic for Rocket in the pre-show. they could have gone easier and just did something screen based there, but it looks good. Not the BEST animatronic they have done, but I'd put it just one click below Olaf in FEE.
You know, it strikes me that Walt's comment "The blessing of size" would help preserve both ToT and the UoE concept, for that matter all of Epcot Center's original concept. Why can't things like this be added to parks like Pandora, SWL, TSL, NFL have been. I feel like both rides are good enough to advance their concepts with the same or similar story lines. I am so disappointed by the notion of these great rides going away.

tmthomas52

You know, it strikes me that Walt's comment "The blessing of size" would help preserve both ToT and the UoE concept, for that matter all of Epcot Center's original concept. Why can't things like this be added to parks like Pandora, SWL, TSL, NFL have been. I feel like both rides are good enough to advance their concepts with the same or similar story lines. I am so disappointed by the notion of these great rides going away.
All four of those things were built in grounds that originally held a land or attraction. While it is difficult to say that Camp Minnie Mickey was a real land none of these new lands have been true expansions.

montyz81

All four of those things were built in grounds that originally held a land or attraction. While it is difficult to say that Camp Minnie Mickey was a real land none of these new lands have been true expansions.
So be it, make them true expansions then. There is still lots of room left of the 43 square miles (might be less now) that Walt bought. Add to the parks, don't rip and replace. Make the land across the street from Epcot's main entrance Ipcot Center and loosely connect the two with an added left turn on the monorail in front of Epcot.
upload_2017-5-25_12-39-23.png

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So be it, make them true expansions then. There is still lots of room left of the 43 square miles (might be less now) that Walt bought. Add to the parks, don't rip and replace. Make the land across the street from Epcot's main entrance Ipcot Center and loosely connect the two with an added left turn on the monorail in front of Epcot.
View attachment 206853

Just know that of the approximately 27,000 acres Walt purchased, 1/3 was set aside for conservation. But I agree with you - expand the footprint of the parks, rather than tear down/out and rebuild. The MK needs to be bigger, not just rejiggered. Been saying that for some time now.

Based upon the remaining acreage available for development, I'm thinking Disney has about 8,000 - 9,000 acres available for expansion. But that may be limited by roads and other existing infrastructure and land unsuitable for development, such as that parcel around the Lagoon.

Others more knowledgeable than l can provide more exact numbers. @marni1971, do you have more precise figures?

monothingie

Official Lowerer of $DIS stock price
Premium Member
I don't care if people misspell his name any more. All respect I had for him is now gone.

Really? He is subservient to those over him that tell him what to do and with how much (only to cut it back further once started) He is in a no win scenario, because to people like you its either not enough or to the stooges over him it's too much.

HMF

Really? He is subservient to those over him that tell him what to do and with how much (only to cut it back further once started) He is in a no win scenario, because to people like you its either not enough or to the stooges over him it's too much.
He could take the money and run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom