Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

disneyC97

Oh. Well for during the '90s there was a persistent rumor that the Cave of Wonders and the flying carpet would be the basis of Disney's first significant VR attraction, and that the VR sets at DisneyQuest were a proof of concept. Anybody else remember this?
Yes!

ciscobee

How about an Adventureland ride like Soarin?

Character centric, takes you through or over famous scenes. Soar over Agrabah (sp?), Pride Rock, Tortuga, ... and end the ride into a refreshed shopping experience like a bazaar. Might be hard to combine animated and non-animated elements, but maybe they could accomplish that through a portal animation of sorts in the video. Take out Tiki, the bazaar, and shops, and redress it all so it doesn't look like a giant building outside. Then include all of those elements on the interior/exterior of the new ride so as not to disturb the atmosphere. If realestate is a concern, make a new adventureland gateway down in the corner between pirates and frontier where the waffle fry stand is at and build into that jungle back there.

I think people would go for a Soarin-esque eTicket at MK.

Bocabear

Soarin' is so unique to EPCOT that I think it would be odd to have the same basic ride with a different film...and the show building for Soarin' is HUUUGE! Thet wold dwarf the other buildings in the Magic Kingdom... And with the new Flight Of Passage ride coming online at the Animal Kingdom, it would seem odd to add another flying type attraction with a big screen.

ciscobee

Soarin' is so unique to EPCOT that I think it would be odd to have the same basic ride with a different film...and the show building for Soarin' is HUUUGE! Thet wold dwarf the other buildings in the Magic Kingdom... And with the new Flight Of Passage ride coming online at the Animal Kingdom, it would seem odd to add another flying type attraction with a big screen.

They could bury it underground :)

ciscobee

not with Florida's high water table...
Isn't all of Magic Kingdom built up so that an underground can exist? Or couldn't they just do whatever they did before? Anyway, it was just an idea which I can clearly see was poorly thought out and can't happen now because its just impossible. Thanks for the clarity.

Bocabear

it is built up, but not up enough to sink building of that size down to where it would not dwarf the other buildings.
ASD-01232016+-+18.jpg

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Here's how to save the Tiki Birds:

Rebuild the seats to be in the round. Rotate them during the show. Add vibrations for the volcano eruption.

Voila! It's now a ride and no longer a show.

Had this idea myself a while back! I like it. Keeps the show intact. Could even play into the storyline. Rotating faster, slower or bouncing (think slow rotating musik express) based on specific songs or story elements in the show.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

It makes slightly more thematic sense with the new film but previously it was a stretch to say that it made sense in Epcot. They took a film specifically made to showcase the beauty of California - by using exclusively California film locations - and shoehorned it into a pavilion about futuristic farming. Maybe if they'd coughed up the money to film a new show unique to the Land then it would have made sense?

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

Isn't all of Magic Kingdom built up so that an underground can exist? Or couldn't they just do whatever they did before? Anyway, it was just an idea which I can clearly see was poorly thought out and can't happen now because its just impossible. Thanks for the clarity.

Parts of Fantasyland and Liberty Square are built up about 30-32', while the rest of the park is built up between 20-22'. Show buildings for Haunted Mansion, Small World, Splash and Pirates are all successfully hidden through a creative use of the building being partially lower than the park combined with creative facades on the top of the building so it blends in. They do a good job for the most part. When I used to give tours the guests would always be stunned that Splash Mountain wasn't actually in the mountain or that Haunted Mansion was really just in a warehouse.

Bairstow

Parts of Fantasyland and Liberty Square are built up about 30-32', while the rest of the park is built up between 20-22'. Show buildings for Haunted Mansion, Small World, Splash and Pirates are all successfully hidden through a creative use of the building being partially lower than the park combined with creative facades on the top of the building so it blends in. They do a good job for the most part. When I used to give tours the guests would always be stunned that Splash Mountain wasn't actually in the mountain or that Haunted Mansion was really just in a warehouse.

It's always very eye-opening to look at theme parks using aerial or satelllite imagery, like with Google Maps/Earth, and to compare that to the guide maps.
Often the differences are profound.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom