1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by WDW1974, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Biff215

Biff215 Well-Known Member

Yeah, inside GMR sitting on a bulldozer just waiting to gut a classic.

2. UofMGuy423

UofMGuy423 Active Member

Ditto. Mine was likely 2013. Visited Disneyland in 2015 and 2016 and will return there before I go back to WDW.

CanadianGordon and HMF like this.
  3. CanadianGordon

CanadianGordon Well-Known Member

IF this is true, then 2015 will be my last trip to WDW. I'll visit another park that treats their guests and the history of the park with respect.

Smooth likes this.
  4. trojanjustin

trojanjustin Well-Known Member

It makes slightly more thematic sense with the new film but previously it was a stretch to say that it made sense in Epcot. They took a film specifically made to showcase the beauty of California - by using exclusively California film locations - and shoehorned it into a pavilion about futuristic farming. Maybe if they'd coughed up the money to film a new show unique to the Land then it would have made sense?

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    HauntedPirate likes this.
  5. trojanjustin

trojanjustin Well-Known Member

Parts of Fantasyland and Liberty Square are built up about 30-32', while the rest of the park is built up between 20-22'. Show buildings for Haunted Mansion, Small World, Splash and Pirates are all successfully hidden through a creative use of the building being partially lower than the park combined with creative facades on the top of the building so it blends in. They do a good job for the most part. When I used to give tours the guests would always be stunned that Splash Mountain wasn't actually in the mountain or that Haunted Mansion was really just in a warehouse.

6. Bairstow

Bairstow Well-Known Member

It's always very eye-opening to look at theme parks using aerial or satelllite imagery, like with Google Maps/Earth, and to compare that to the guide maps.
    Often the differences are profound.

7. atighe42

atighe42 Well-Known Member

Any update on this rumor?

epcot82fan likes this.
  8. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

people still mad

9. epcot82fan

epcot82fan EPCOT Center Purist

Is it still happening?

10. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

Still a rumor. Supposedly there are competing plans, and do nothing is always an option as is put off a decision for a few years.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Sped2424, SosoDude and epcot82fan like this.
  11. RSoxNo1

RSoxNo1 Well-Known Member

It's only a matter of time before @jt04 suggests this as a great place for Guardians of the Galaxy.

12. montyz81

montyz81 Well-Known Member

For the current administration, that probably means adding Disney characters to these: upload_2017-5-19_14-11-0.jpeg and selling them in Adventureland.

13. AEfx

AEfx Well-Known Member

That is not even funny...the last thing we need is more people obsessed with holding devices in their hand at WDW...

Mike S and NormC like this.
  14. Jim S

Jim S Active Member

Hope Tiki Birds stay-our kids and grandkids enjoyed the show. It is unique and entertaining.

15. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

You must have me confused with someone else. I want an AV closer to the original vision except the birds and flying carpets.

I suggest that entire group of buildings receive refurbed kitchens and be turned over to f&b and continue with facilities on par with skippers. I suggest Haunted restaurant, NO Square, Tianas, Club 33, and something pirates or Moana where tiki and terrace is.

Or something.

16. grnflash

grnflash Active Member

Sorry but this cracks me up. Ain't nobody out West that thinks MK is DL's big brother. If WDW would stop envisioning themselves as such, perhaps they could figure out how develop an actual "soul" for MK, with or without Tiki. A big castle will only get ya so far.

17. networkpro

networkpro Well-Known Member

A 34 foot pink one isn't awe inspiring. There's always the Disney family museum for historical artifacts that no longer draw a crowd. Different markets and customer bases.

brb1006 likes this.
  18. Otterhead

Otterhead Well-Known Member

I mean more in terms of size than spirit. MK is physically larger than Disneyland, and much of its early rides were repurposed clones of DL attractions. But DL has always felt like a much better designed park than MK; it just feels better landscaped and organized. I'm always interested in things they do to differentiate the two, such as Temple of the Forbidden Eye or Dumbo's Circus.

cheezbat and grnflash like this.
  19. raven24

raven24 Well-Known Member

This will most likely never happen. MK, along with the other castle parks around the world, will always be imitations of Disneyland.

20. grnflash

grnflash Active Member

Well sure to all of that but it misses my point. The thing is that any honest debate of which is the best castle park comes down to two locations - Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland. MK is never in the running. Sure people can "like" MK better than the others, but that isn't an argument why it would actually be better. Because what's better? The castle. What else? Splash. And then what? Again, where is MK's "soul" (once you pass the castle)?

DL knows it's soul. It is in it's history and rich detailing. And it was reborn after being lost for a decade, so hope is not gone that MK couldn't find its soul as well. Clearly it won't be in it's history (skyway, subs, snow, toad, possibly tiki point to that.) Tokyo also knows its soul, the no-expense-spared ride and show/performance attitude. With no night parade at MK or even in development, pretty sure that's not their soul.

Getting rid of Tiki at MK isn't the worst thing imaginable. But if it's replacement doesn't create a new point of soul in the park (and I have zero faith that it will), well MK will continue to stay out of the running in the best castle park debate all the while pointing to their castle and fantasizing about being the big brother.