News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

DisneyDreamer08

I would never rent a car if I was staying off property. Uber all the way. No parking fees either.

Not always possible when you have little kids who ride in car seats :)
But believe me, we will definitely be looking into all off site options for the first time ever when our next trip rolls around in a few years. So I appreciate all the suggestions!

flynnibus

Premium Member
For me it is. We all have our own prices that we'd pay. To you it's not. And I wouldn't stay at that Hampton Inn, either for that price. If I can help it. And that $129 is before taxes and fees. I don't think the room is worth it. And it's one of my favorite resorts. Not sure why you're taking issue with my post?

Why do you have to focus on it being me "complaining"?

Sheesh. Is the same person following me around with different accounts and questioning all my posts?

$100+/night is pretty normal for any major chain hotel virtually all around the country these days. The $60/n holiday inn isn't a thing anymore... that's RedRoof Inn/motel ranges. I regularlly have to pay $100-$140 for a hotel as I travel around.. even in 'no where special' land.

Goob

Not always possible when you have little kids who ride in car seats :)
But believe me, we will definitely be looking into all off site options for the first time ever when our next trip rolls around in a few years. So I appreciate all the suggestions!

The Hilton Lake Buena Vista would be my first pick. It's the closest to Disney Springs and it just got a refurb when we were there for NYE this year. It's now all up to date and looks fantastic.

Kman101

$100+/night is pretty normal for any major chain hotel virtually all around the country these days. The $60/n holiday inn isn't a thing anymore... that's RedRoof Inn/motel ranges. I regularlly have to pay $100-$140 for a hotel as I travel around.. even in 'no where special' land.

No, I do get that.

To be fair to me and give some context, I last paid to stay on property waay back in 2006-2008, when a moderate was the price Pop is now, and then I traveled to California in 2008, cruises in 2009 and 2010, and with very discounted rooms thanks to a friend who's father works for a luxury hotel chain I stayed in Miami a few times for very very cheap. After that I didn't do much traveling. A night here and there. Obviously I'm aware in 10 years prices are going up up up but I hadn't really seriously looked at booking anywhere until this last year or so and this year so I still had the 10 years ago price ranges in my head. Again, I know they've gone up but it's accepting that reality ... and if I can stay cheaper elsewhere, I will, but not 50-80. I don't expect that. 100-140 is reasonable.

Anyway just explaining why I was a bit surprised at the pricing. In my head I know they've gone up but seeing it ... and not saying that's horrible pricing ...

G00fyDad

For the first time (during my trips as a parent) I looked into the cost of staying off property. I had halfway looked into it before and it appeared that it would break even after parking and separate tickets. After really getting into it and looking I found an $800 difference. So we decided that we'd stay off property on our next trip.

8 day and 7 night trip:
Standard room at All-Stars Music Package:
$2816

Standard Room at cheaper offsite hotel (incl tickets and parking):
$2008

G00fyDad

Has anyone researched how much longer does it take to get from an off site hotel to the ticket gate, compared to using WDW transit when staying on-site? I read a blog recently where a person with an AP was evaluating the new security at MK and I think his time from car getting into WDW property (driving under the Welcome signs) to the ticket gate at MK was something like two hours. That did not include the time to get from a specific location outside of WDW to the Welcome signs (the blogger was a local).

To me, time has a value. I don't know exactly how much of a price difference would convince me to pay more on-site, but it definitely would be something to consider.

Of course, if you are using your car inside WDW, then the comparison is probably not of any value.

I'm sure someone here has made that comparison. :)

We rent a vehicle every time we go because we cannot stand certain things about Disney transportation (Except the boats. The boats are WONDERFUL.) and we can get anywhere on property faster than taking Disney transportation. The (4 star) hotel I looked at off-site was out past Disney Springs and it would take us 19 minutes (using Bing Directions) to get to AK on the other side of the property. That is just fine with us because we couldn't get from DHS to Pop Century in that amount of time taking Disney Transportation.

homerdance

For the first time (during my trips as a parent) I looked into the cost of staying off property. I had halfway looked into it before and it appeared that it would break even after parking and separate tickets. After really getting into it and looking I found an $800 difference. So we decided that we'd stay off property on our next trip.

8 day and 7 night trip:
Standard room at All-Stars Music Package:
$2816

Standard Room at cheaper offsite hotel (incl tickets and parking):
$2008
We do this every trip before we go, and after parking, hidden fees at offsite hotels, the total has always been within $20 a night for a value. So it comes down to is it worth that for the extra 30 days to make FP+, direct drop off at MK, and the others perks of staying on property.

But once the Gondola's are open, the fact you can get to two parks from POP without buses (which already has the best bus transportation on property) the desire to stay for our group goes up, not sure it will match the prices though.

kthomas105

I came across this interesting article while googling about gondola systems used for public transportation. While I doubt Disney will use a system like this (because from what I can tell it is very expensive and one of the more complex systems) it would greatly enhance capacity. The article from the Orlando Sentinel quoted 10 passengers per vehicle so with a platform of this style and three different lines (to EPCOT, DHS and AoA/POP from CBR Transfer Station) capacity adds up quick! Like I said I doubt they will use this but for those of you worrying about capacity issues I think there are plenty of solutions Disney could implement immediately or in the future with this system.
System of Two Gondola Platforms.PNG

Here is a second capacity increasing station design with two levels.
System of Two Story Gondola Platforms.PNG

Last edited:

draybook

And the rest of us want discounts because we have to hear the cheer groups :) :)

I hear ya! We stayed to ourselves or with one other family during those trips. Most cheer moms are out of control. I took the elevator down to the lobby one night and this one girl's mom was drunk and called her a b----, her own daughter. And at that same Best Western, a couple girls from our gym were throwing ice from their balcony so I notified security and they handled it. That stuff could seriously injure someone or damage a car from that high. It was embarrassing.

G00fyDad

We do this every trip before we go, and after parking, hidden fees at offsite hotels, the total has always been within $20 a night for a value. So it comes down to is it worth that for the extra 30 days to make FP+, direct drop off at MK, and the others perks of staying on property.

But once the Gondola's are open, the fact you can get to two parks from POP without buses (which already has the best bus transportation on property) the desire to stay for our group goes up, not sure it will match the prices though.

That $800+ difference included parking. If I did not include parking it would have been a $1000+ difference. :D

Creathir

I mean, to answer you $129 isn't necessarily unreasonable, no. But for several nights and with taxes and fees, it adds up quick.
Oh absolutely.
Generally speaking, most vacations do though.
I came across this interesting article while googling about gondola systems used for public transportation. While I doubt Disney will use a system like this (because from what I can tell it is very expensive and one of the more complex systems) it would greatly enhance capacity. The article from the Orlando Sentinel quoted 10 passengers per vehicle so with a platform of this style and three different lines (to EPCOT, DHS and AoA/POP from CBR Transfer Station) capacity adds up quick! Like I said I doubt they will use this but for those of you worrying about capacity issues I think there are plenty of solutions Disney could implement immediately or in the future with this system.
View attachment 200434
Here is a second capacity increasing station design with two levels.View attachment 200437

I've wondered if they would do something like this for wheelchairs and ECVs.

A separate loop which could potentially even have a gondola stop on it, to allow for easier loading and unloading.

SuzGM84

Not sure if this has been mentioned ever, but would it ever be possible to connect the gondola from the resorts to the TTC? Essentially providing a non-bus route to MK from CBR (and Pop) and vice versa (creating a direct non-bus route from the deluxes to HS)...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Not sure if this has been mentioned ever, but would it ever be possible to connect the gondola from the resorts to the TTC? Essentially providing a non-bus route to MK from CBR (and Pop) and vice versa (creating a direct non-bus route from the deluxes to HS)...

Anything is possible, but I have my doubts they would stretch the line that far when they already have the monorail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom