Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

Princess Leia

Sooooo.... With Ratatouille joining in 2020, 3 Cabs being replaced by Coco in the same year, and Ellen being replaced by a talking raccoon after, will Epcot be free of the 2 Tier FP+ system? Or would Disney just reshuffle Epcot so Rat, Frozen, Guardians, and Coco would be the only Tier 1 attractions? If that would happen, would the World Showcase start opening at 9 with the rest of the park (and not just Mexico, Norway, and the French pavilion)?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sooooo.... With Ratatouille joining in 2020, 3 Cabs being replaced by Coco in the same year, and Ellen being replaced by a talking raccoon after, will Epcot be free of the 2 Tier FP+ system? Or would Disney just reshuffle Epcot so Rat, Frozen, Guardians, and Coco would be the only Tier 1 attractions? If that would happen, would the World Showcase start opening at 9 with the rest of the park (and not just Mexico, Norway, and the French pavilion)?
I can see access to showcase possibly opening at 9 but not everything being open.

Magic Feather

So I guess the follow up question is, will the Mickey Ride's hourly/daily capacity be greater than what Great Movie Ride actually achieves these days? Since GMR is never entirely full anymore, you could technically see an increase in capacity since Mickey will be bursting at the seams for the entire operating day if Mickey's capacity is large enough.
THRC will be about 1000 off, but, while still lower, I only expect OHRC to be closer. (The main reason why TGMR doesn't meet close to THRC is that the rows that are supposed to seat parties of 5 or 6 can only seat 3-5 due to... Larger guests. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just that it is the case. Mickey should help that with the number of people per row remaining solid.

Daveeeeed

So... who's excited????!!!!
DSC_7790.jpg

disneyap.jpg

la_place_de_remy_ratatouille_ride.jpg

ratatouille-fountain-studios-paris-M.jpg

While I disagree with its placement as it obviously doesn't fit, I am very pleased TDO is actually adding a high-quality new build to EPCOT. The best part is that it won't be a ride replacement IMO.

Marc Davis Fan

@WDWFigment has a very thought-provoking review of Ratatouille: http://www.disneytouristblog.com/ratatouille-ride-paris-review/

Essentially (if I'm understanding correctly), he argues that it isn't immersive enough, for reasons such as how the floors and screen edges are visible. For others who've been on it: What is your perspective on this apparent problem? Can the Epcot version be altered (and will it be) to mitigate this?

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

@WDWFigment has a very thought-provoking review of Ratatouille: http://www.disneytouristblog.com/ratatouille-ride-paris-review/

Essentially (if I'm understanding correctly), he argues that it isn't immersive enough, for reasons such as how the floors and screen edges are visible. For others who've been on it: What is your perspective on this apparent problem? Can the Epcot version be altered (and will it be) to mitigate this?
A very good read indeed. Remy is a fantastic attraction, but it's not an anchor like Spaceship Earth, Space Mountain, or Kilimanjaro Safaris, but that is okay. For me, it's not the 9.5/10 attraction like Forbidden Journey & Spider-Man are... it's more like an 8 or 8.5 sort of like Soarin'. If your standards are set to that you'll surely love it! Again, it's no super-headliner, but it is a great E-ticket addition.

I agree that there is plenty of room to improve especially with it's over reliance upon screens, but I would argue that the screens interact seemlessly with the ride vehicles. When Linguini seems to push you away you spin around and move away. Also effects that cannot be captured on video like heat, the vehicle's rat feet tapping vibrations (extremely well done too).

Some of it could definitely be improved... the fact that not all the screens have sets that go along with them really hold the ride back even though the ride's crystal clear screens are as good as Escape from Gringotts', but it improves upon the transition between the screens ex. What happens on the screens as you go away. Fixing the screen set problem is be the most important for the second to last scene and the scene where the pair of 3 vehicles split up and run around. While the former boasts a massive screen... that's the only scene on the ride that feels bare. The latter on the other hand is a Splendidly well done scene of the ride, but again sets need to bleed more with the screen; the transition to this scene from the cart is an underrated part of the ride IMO. Speaking of the waiter's cart... this is a scene that uses a set very nicely with good integration.

Obviously the mini-land's facades and charming feel is out of this world, and while the ride is fantastic... it probably won't be your favorite ride but one of your favorites sort of like Soarin', Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain, or Dinosaur are for most people. Ratatouille is still a great attraction and would easily make the top 5 at EPCOT. (Spaceship Earth, Soarin', Mission: Space, Test Track).

The biggest immersive issue is the flatness of the screens I think and the fact that the floor is perfectly flat. While the 3D has a great depth of field, the trackless ride technology works best for the refrigerator scene than the screen scenes generally. One thing for sure that the ride nailed though was using Michael Giacchino's epic score & smaller confined spaces or larger depending on what was being depicted. Sizing overall is on point.

To fix the ride, again, I think fixing the trackless floor flatness would help, keeping the side blandness to a minimum (better theming walls and up to the screens even overlapping the sides of the screens), updating/upgrading the animation, story, or other minor touches that could be improved as the budget will be lower on account of it being a clone.

The Boarding room is one of the best of any ride.
Trackless rides have been known to have a problem for being too "flat" and Ratatouille is no exception. It is definitely not as imersive as Splash Mountain -- his example of Soarin's edges is on point. But you can still enjoy Soarin' am I right?

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
I just had the opportunity for my first ride on Ratatouille about 30 minutes ago (and will ride again later today). I had made a point of not watching any video of it prior but had read a number of reviews including the one mentioned above. My initial impression when I got off was that there is a lot of potential. In the large dome screened areas, the lack of any motion of any kind in the vehicles can get distracting. Even adding something like the Tigger bounce platform used in Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland could completely change how those scenes feel. When the ride vehicles are not moving at all, you become much more aware of the fact that you are watching a screen. I think it would certainly be a great addition to WS and would have lines back to the International Gateway if it was.

matt9112

I just had the opportunity for my first ride on Ratatouille about 30 minutes ago (and will ride again later today). I had made a point of not watching any video of it prior but had read a number of reviews including the one mentioned above. My initial impression when I got off was that there is a lot of potential. In the large dome screened areas, the lack of any motion of any kind in the vehicles can get distracting. Even adding something like the Tigger bounce platform used in Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland could completely change how those scenes feel. When the ride vehicles are not moving at all, you become much more aware of the fact that you are watching a screen. I think it would certainly be a great addition to WS and would have lines back to the International Gateway if it was.

Anything will have lines...the park sorely lacks attractions......I

Prototype82

If excited means depressed, then sure. I'm excited.
Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 9.14.41 AM.png

Hearing Saint-Saens' 3rd Organ Symphony blaring to the sight of this was perfect. The pulleys turning as the camera lifted ever skyward. I'm kind of done with Epcot now. Animal Kingdom seems to be the only place I can get any sense of wonder now. Ratatouille looks to be a fabulous ride, but this film was my everything at Epcot and it was pretty much impossible for me not to get choked up every time I saw it.
Even with Frozen added in(which was amazing) we could still get some sort of sense of sophistication across the lake. It's literally dead now.

Last edited:

RobbinsDad

If excited means depressed, then sure. I'm excited.
View attachment 199610
Hearing Saint-Saens' 3rd Organ Symphony blaring to the sight of this was perfect. The pulleys turning as the camera lifted ever skyward. I'm kind of done with Epcot now. Animal Kingdom seems to be the only place I can get any sense of wonder now. Ratatouille looks to be a fabulous ride, but this film was my everything at Epcot and it was pretty much impossible for me not to get choked up every time I saw it.
Even with Frozen added in(which was amazing) we could still get some sort of sense of sophistication across the lake. It's literally dead now.
So is this for sure leaving? To make room for Rat?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom