News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

truecoat

It would still have its place. TTC to the parks, the volume is so high, plus the existing infrastructure is sufficient.

But PRT would be a low cost (comparatively) effective solution which solves most issues.

If it's not being considered, it should be.

I was a big fan of the PRT concept but it will died with self driving cars on the horizon. They can accomplish the same thing with just a dedicated lane or lanes.

Goob

I agree to an extent, but the cool factor of having winding PRT pathways meandering through the woods would be AWESOME.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was a big fan of the PRT concept but it will died with self driving cars on the horizon. They can accomplish the same thing with just a dedicated lane or lanes.
They need dedicated lanes that other cars can't enter.
You mean, like with the ones they're building right now for the buses?
The buses have drivers who can anticipate when a moron who can't drive is about to cut into their lane.

Creathir

Sort of.

A PRT could take you to spots a bus/full size auto could not. Being integrated and specific to the passengers (via magic bands of course) they could be used to open routes otherwise not allowed before.

PRT drop off points near NFE for instance, or one at the World Showcase.

They theoretically, if screening was done beforehand, could even drop off within the park itself based on your Magic Band and attached park ticket.

They also would allow exotic transfers which are just not possible today. Kidani Village to Contemporary for instance. Imagine being 10 mins away from anywhere on property... That is what they could bring.

And most importantly to the execs, those guests are no longer waiting in the sun, baking while waiting for a bus to transfer them to their next destination, arriving 45 mins after their journey began. They get to the destination faster, and spend money faster.

Goob

You really put the PRT into a perspective that really has no bounds. Like you said, it would help in the printing money aspect, in terms of getting people to spend, faster. Please, oh please Disney do this. I feel like Walt would want this. It has Disney written all over it. It's a real, autonomous WEDWay PeopleMover.

Last edited:

Creathir

Actually, an AI can sense that better and react faster and better than a human driver.

Oh absolutely.

And in time, that does solve traffic issues on the road. But gondolas, ferries, monorails, even buses are not there to remove road burden, they are there to move guests around the massive WDW property. PRT would just add to this capability.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually, an AI can sense that better and react faster and better than a human driver.

It can sense when an accident has occurred and stop but what it cannot do is anticipate what a stupid driver might do before they actually do it. You always see people try to squeeze in front of a bus or a large truck not factoring in that those vehicles take longer to stop. A seasoned bus driver can sometimes anticipate when someone is getting ready to cut in front of them and slow down. It's not always true since we do see bus accidents.

GCTales

Yeah, just a joke. At the beginning of the thread there were a lot of doubters that this really would be a gondola system. The monorail footer thing goes back to an old poster here who had a bit of an obsession with monorails. I think he's gone or maybe posting under a different name these days.
Ahhh... See, I mistakenly thought is was serious..... Curse those hidden tongue in cheek emojis.....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh absolutely.

And in time, that does solve traffic issues on the road. But gondolas, ferries, monorails, even buses are not there to remove road burden, they are there to move guests around the massive WDW property. PRT would just add to this capability.
Anything like a gondola monorail or boat gets cars and buses off of the road. Many people staying on property still drive to the parks because the busses are a hassle. Give them better options and you could end up with less traffic which is a huge benefit to everyone in the area.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It can sense when an accident has occurred

The video I posted sensed the accident before it occurred.

An AI can tell which cars are staying in their lane and which are not all the way around the vehicle and all at the same time. No human can do that.

An AI will never be perfect, but, they can be a heck of a lot better than humans.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The video I posted sensed the accident before it occurred.

An AI can tell which cars are staying in their lane and which are not all the way around the vehicle and all at the same time. No human can do that.

An AI will never be perfect, but, they can be a heck of a lot better than humans.
I put the chances of self driving busses at WDW that drive on the same road as other vehicles about on par with a monorail expansion. Self driving pods on a dedicated roadway...maybe.

Bacon

One problem with having buses as a backup to the gondola system:

Say you are hanging out with Nemo and Friends at the Seas pavilion. It's late afternoon and your "precious angel" is starting to get a little cranky so you decide that you want to head back to your family suite at the Art of Animation resort. You pick up your stroller from the stroller junkyard and walk all the way through Future World and through Canada and Great Britain to get to the International Gateway Gondola Station. In the meantime, the skies decide they can't hold any more water and it starts to rain, and rain hard. You are getting aggravated because your $5.00 poncho isn't holding up to well and your "precious angel's" attitude has taken a turn for the worse. You finally get to the Gondola Station and you see a sign that says "Due to Inclement Weather, the WDW Gondola System is not operating. Please use bus transportation instead." Now is when you realize that the closest bus that is going to the Art of Animation Resort is at the front of Epcot.

@KATIEBUG101 will not be happy!!!
FTFY

roj2323

A permit was filed by PCL Construction for "FOUNDATION AND BUILDING INFRASTRUCTURE" at the following addresses. These are the same addresses as the pervious permit for utility work and these match up with the locations of the six main gondola structures.

1874 Avenue of the Stars
251 E Buena Vista Dr
785 Studio Dr
1910 Animation Way
1051 Sea Breeze
1074 Sea Breeze

So we have the 6th location at Epcot now? Do we have a permit drawing of the location like the others?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So we have the 6th location at Epcot now? Do we have a permit drawing of the location like the others?

It was always six...

upload_2017-4-1_13-21-17.png

Note that the POP/AoA station has now been determined to be right in the middle of the bridge. Also, this doesn't include any intervening helping towers that would adjust height, tension, and in the case of the BoardWalk turn and IG, slightly alter the path.

Magic Feather

It was always six...

View attachment 197472

Note that the POP/AoA station has now been determined to be right in the middle of the bridge. Also, this doesn't include any intervening helping towers that would adjust height, tension, and in the case of the BoardWalk turn and IG, slightly alter the path.
While six structures, only 5 will be stations, at least upon opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom