Club 32 - Beauty and the Beast, Fantasyland Project

orlando678-

It's a good question. One of the reasons I asked about ride scenes is to help me determine what's best to include in the pre-show. As I watched the live action movie last Friday, I thought that the focus for the ride should be on the castle, since that is where "beauty and the beast" scenes take place. Should the angry mob of townspeople outside the castle be part of the ride?
we could include a scene where we pass by a door with angry townspeople behind it and then let our vehicles turn to reveal the fight between the townspeople and castle's furniture

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Fellow Beauty and the Beast attraction fauxmagineers: Do we know what scenes will/should be represented in the ride? I've heard "Be Our Guest" and the ballroom dance. The final transformation seems a likely one. What else? (We probably don't need more than four or five vignettes to make it work.) I haven't seen much activity here and thought I'd try to jump start our efforts.
Maybe of the 5 vignettes:

- Belle in the Castle
- Gaston singing number?
- Be Our Guest
- Ballroom scene
- Transformation scene

orlando678-

Maybe of the 5 vignettes:

- Belle in the Castle
- Gaston singing number?
- Be Our Guest
- Ballroom scene
- Transformation scene
Maybe Belle in the castle could be the scene in which Belle takes her fathers place , because i feel like its a fixed point in the movie and it transitions to other scenes. Also be our guest, something there, tale as old as time, the battle and the transformation.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Maybe Belle in the castle could be the scene in which Belle takes her fathers place , because i feel like its a fixed point in the movie and it transitions to other scenes. Also be our guest, something there, tale as old as time, the battle and the transformation.
So to continue on this -- @OvertheHorizon do you think we could collectively write-up a synopsis in the next few days for the attraction itself?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
img_3010-jpg.192978

So back to square one here with @kap91 's rough draft -- let's try to come to a concise consensus on what we want for this area

I really like this initial design (with the only adjustment being the rotating pre-show building)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
So here's just a rough Paint.net map for the BatB area

I didn't label but there isn't too much different from Kap's drawing to this -- just that @OvertheHorizon 's preshow theater is in the light blue/gray and rounded, before entering the attraction show building behind it.

And based on @Brer Oswald 's descriptions for the map -- I added Tangled next door to BatB

Let me know what you think!

OvertheHorizon

MORE ON THE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST ATTRACTION PRE-SHOW

I previously outlined a pre-show set up like the Carousel of Progress (using only four theaters instead of COP's six). The theaters will revolve around a fixed stage, with rotation occurring every three minutes. The first and fourth stage "scenes" will be short (approximately 45 seconds) allowing the remaining time for guests to enter or exit. Once guests exit the pre-show they will board the ride for the attraction.

We previously discussed the idea of the ride confined to scenes in the castle. Therefore, in the pre-show, I hope to convey the information about the spell on the prince, the transformation of servants into household objects, the story of Belle and how Gaston would like to pursue her, how her father becomes a prisoner in the Beast's castle, and Belle arrives to save him.

We also discussed relying on the look of the characters from the animated movie to accomplish this attraction. However, the new live-action movie creates such wonderful images, that perhaps part of that "look" can be incorporated for physical settings.

STAGE ONE

Guests enter the first theater and take their seats to familiar introduction music from the film. The stage is curved, and at the edge of the stage is a castle wall complete with vines and a stained glass window in the center. It would look similar to this image:
upload_2017-3-24_9-23-37.png

With forty-five seconds remaining before the rotation of the theater, the lights dim and a narrator gives a brief introduction. Using rear projection technique, the stained glass windows change to the three images displayed below, with the changes of the windows fitting the story of the narrator.

There once was a handsome prince who lived in a castle at the edge of a small village.
But one day a wicked enchantress arrived and put the prince under a spell.
She converted him into a hideous looking beast.
upload_2017-3-24_9-30-39.png

The theater rotates to Stage Two, while the stained glass returns to the original image for the next set of arriving guests.

(To be continued)

Disney Dad 3000

MORE ON THE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST ATTRACTION PRE-SHOW

I previously outlined a pre-show set up like the Carousel of Progress (using only four theaters instead of COP's six). The theaters will revolve around a fixed stage, with rotation occurring every three minutes. The first and fourth stage "scenes" will be short (approximately 45 seconds) allowing the remaining time for guests to enter or exit. Once guests exit the pre-show they will board the ride for the attraction.

We previously discussed the idea of the ride confined to scenes in the castle. Therefore, in the pre-show, I hope to convey the information about the spell on the prince, the transformation of servants into household objects, the story of Belle and how Gaston would like to pursue her, how her father becomes a prisoner in the Beast's castle, and Belle arrives to save him.

We also discussed relying on the look of the characters from the animated movie to accomplish this attraction. However, the new live-action movie creates such wonderful images, that perhaps part of that "look" can be incorporated for physical settings.

STAGE ONE

Guests enter the first theater and take their seats to familiar introduction music from the film. The stage is curved, and at the edge of the stage is a castle wall complete with vines and a stained glass window in the center. It would look similar to this image:
View attachment 195745
With forty-five seconds remaining before the rotation of the theater, the lights dim and a narrator gives a brief introduction. Using rear projection technique, the stained glass windows change to the three images displayed below, with the changes of the windows fitting the story of the narrator.

There once was a handsome prince who lived in a castle at the edge of a small village.
But one day a wicked enchantress arrived and put the prince under a spell.
She converted him into a hideous looking beast.
View attachment 195746

The theater rotates to Stage Two, while the stained glass returns to the original image for the next set of arriving guests.

(To be continued)

Kudos on your work with this idea. Very cool idea and unique.
Is the pre-show something that every rider on the attraction would be required to go through? Not that I'd want to skip it, because it's a nice variation to the day/other queues/etc. and again, pretty cool. Just curious how that would work, if FP would bypass this or have options, SB/FP would be able to opt in/out of the pre-show, etc.
Really looking forward to your finished result on this.

OvertheHorizon

STAGE TWO

As the theater rotates to the second stage position, guests see another castle wall. It is an interior wall, and unlike Stage One, this wall is convex. In front of the wall is an audio animatronic of Cogsworth.
upload_2017-3-24_10-20-22.png

and next to Cogsworth is a giant storybook, similar to the one pictured here:
upload_2017-3-24_10-23-37.png

Over the course of three minutes, with the aid of the storybook, Cogsworth conveys the following information:
1. Not only was the prince transformed by the wicked enchantress, but all of the servants and household staff were transformed into objects.
2. He explains that he was once the butler.
3. He points to the storybook, which comes to life with the story of a girl, Belle, in a nearby village, who is enchanted by books.
4. She is thought of as strange.
5. Gaston has his sights set on her, and isn't happy when she rebuffs his attentions.
The storybook comes to life using video projection to unveil these elements of the story as recounted by Cogsworth.
Musical underscoring is played throughout.

upload_2017-3-24_11-11-42.png

After three minutes, the theater revolves to the next scene.

OvertheHorizon

Kudos on your work with this idea. Very cool idea and unique.
Is the pre-show something that every rider on the attraction would be required to go through? Not that I'd want to skip it, because it's a nice variation to the day/other queues/etc. and again, pretty cool. Just curious how that would work, if FP would bypass this or have options, SB/FP would be able to opt in/out of the pre-show, etc.
Really looking forward to your finished result on this.
My vision is that this pre-show is an integral part of the entire attraction. Perhaps it shouldn't even be called pre-show, but phase one of the attraction story. Originally, in my "carousel" idea I was going to have one theater act as the entry and exit theater. But then I realized that after one or two visits, guests would start walking through the theater just to get to the ride. Not counting load and unload time, this "show" is only 7 and 1/2 minutes long.

Although others can flesh out exactly what the ride will consist of, we had discussed the idea that the ride scenes would be "in the castle" and at a point after the Beast allows Belle out of her locked room.

As far as FastPass+, those holding FastPasses would be admitted in this theater ahead of those in the "standby" line.

OvertheHorizon

STAGE THREE

The theater rotates to reveal a stage very similar to the last one. A concave Castle wall with a large storybook. In this scene, audioanimatronic figures of Mrs. Potts and Chip are on either side of the storybook. Musical underscoring is heard.
upload_2017-3-24_11-56-39.png

Chip begins by asking his mother if they are always going to be "this way."
She explains that there is always hope. The curse will end when the beast learns to love and be loved in return.
Mrs. Potts tells chip about the girl who has come to the castle (at this point, the storybook shares the images of Belle coming to rescue her father, being discovered by the Beast, and taking her father's place).
She shares that this may be the only hope of reversing the curse. Perhaps the servants can convince him to give Belle a chance.
This segment ends with scenes of the rose in the West Wing, and Mrs. Potts explaining to Chip that they don't have much time. Once all of the rose petals have fallen the curse can never be reversed.

The theater rotates to the fourth stage.

STAGE FOUR

As the theater rotates, we see another castle wall with a stained glass window. The wall is concave this time, to provide room for an audioanimatronic of Lumiere:
upload_2017-3-24_12-9-53.png

This is the theater from which guests will exit from the pre-show and line up to board the ride portion of the attraction. Therefore, there is only about 45 seconds of time.
The stained glass window this time is the image of the rose left behind by the wicked enchantress.
upload_2017-3-24_12-13-56.png

Lumiere says, "Oh no, another rose petal has fallen. We will all be doomed." He shouts "off stage": "Cogsworth, did you see that? We must convince him. What if she is the one? She could be our only hope." He turns to the audience and says, "Come help us make Belle feel welcome."
Guests exit the theater to board the ride (similar to the way guests leave the stretching rooms at the Haunted Mansion to board their "doombuggies." Guests will walk down a corridor of the castle to the ride vehicles.

OvertheHorizon

Absolutely spectacular @OvertheHorizon ! I really have no corrections or questions on first read.

I'll come back later today and read through it once more.
Thanks, Space! In an ideal design situation, I should flesh this out a bit more with detailed scripts of what is being said in narration or by the audioanimatronic characters, and perhaps provide an audio track as well. I don't think this project is on that level, and hopefully I've provided enough detail of what would be presented. I'd prefer to let others handle the design of the ride for this attraction.

One of the challenges - in my opinion - of tackling the creation of an entirely new Fantasyland, or any large scale imagineering venture is that the details can get lost as we try to bring shape to the whole.

For future projects here in Club 32, I'd welcome the chance to brainstorm ONE new Epcot pavilion.

MonorailRed

Applebees
STAGE THREE

The theater rotates to reveal a stage very similar to the last one. A concave Castle wall with a large storybook. In this scene, audioanimatronic figures of Mrs. Potts and Chip are on either side of the storybook. Musical underscoring is heard.
View attachment 195782
Chip begins by asking his mother if they are always going to be "this way."
She explains that there is always hope. The curse will end when the beast learns to love and be loved in return.
Mrs. Potts tells chip about the girl who has come to the castle (at this point, the storybook shares the images of Belle coming to rescue her father, being discovered by the Beast, and taking her father's place).
She shares that this may be the only hope of reversing the curse. Perhaps the servants can convince him to give Belle a chance.
This segment ends with scenes of the rose in the West Wing, and Mrs. Potts explaining to Chip that they don't have much time. Once all of the rose petals have fallen the curse can never be reversed.

The theater rotates to the fourth stage.

STAGE FOUR

As the theater rotates, we see another castle wall with a stained glass window. The wall is concave this time, to provide room for an audioanimatronic of Lumiere:
View attachment 195783
This is the theater from which guests will exit from the pre-show and line up to board the ride portion of the attraction. Therefore, there is only about 45 seconds of time.
The stained glass window this time is the image of the rose left behind by the wicked enchantress.
View attachment 195784
Lumiere says, "Oh no, another rose petal has fallen. We will all be doomed." He shouts "off stage": "Cogsworth, did you see that? We must convince him. What if she is the one? She could be our only hope." He turns to the audience and says, "Come help us make Belle feel welcome."
Guests exit the theater to board the ride (similar to the way guests leave the stretching rooms at the Haunted Mansion to board their "doombuggies." Guests will walk down a corridor of the castle to the ride vehicles.

Amazing work Horizon! Loved what you did with this! :D

kap91

I think it's a cool idea - just it seems awfully long for a preshow - possibly longer than the ride itself. And I'm not sure there's enough content to fill that time.

I think it could work but it would really depend on the ride that followed.

OvertheHorizon

I think it's a cool idea - just it seems awfully long for a preshow - possibly longer than the ride itself. And I'm not sure there's enough content to fill that time.

I think it could work but it would really depend on the ride that followed.
As I suggested above, perhaps this should NOT be called a pre-show, but rather considered as the first part of a two part Beauty and the Beast attraction. My idea, in part, was to ensure an orderly distribution of people to the ride, which will happen with 120 people emptying out of the theaters every three minutes and a ride capacity of 40 per minute.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom