Club 32 - Beauty and the Beast, Fantasyland Project

FigmentPigments

View attachment 193911
Here is my concept for the pre-show to the Beauty and the Beast attraction. It would utilize a carousel of four theaters arranged in a “donut” which revolves around a fixed stage area. Except for the top row – to accommodate wheelchairs and motorized chairs – the rows of seats would be on a slight incline to afford maximum view. The entire pre-show experience (from load to exit) would take 12 minutes, with the theaters rotating counterclockwise.

This design presumes a ride capacity of approximately 2,400 guests per hour (40 guests boarding ride vehicles per minute). For reference, the Little Mermaid ride at Magic Kingdom has a 2,200 capacity per hour.

The queue would bring guests to the entry doors for what is indicated as theater #1 on the drawing. After the guests take their seats, there would be a short intro before the theater begins to rotate to the next stage position. (Theater #4 would then be in the “load” position and it would fill up, etc.). All four of the theaters would be in continuous use.

The carousel would rotate a quarter-turn every three (3) minutes, exposing the guests to a new portion of the pre-show. After the guests have rotated to the 4th stage position, that portion of the show would also be short, and guests would then exit to the ride.

As shown on the design, each row of seating would be a spacious 36” with the top row even more spacious to accommodate wheelchairs. The depth of each theater would be approximately 30’ from stage to back wall.

Although I want to give a lot more thought to the pre-show (possibly waiting until I see the live action Beauty and the Beast movie this Friday), for the pre-show part 1, I’m envisioning a large-scale gilded book, a drawing of the Beast’s castle on the left side and the words “Once upon a time…” on the right side. In the short introductory segment at position #1, I would utilize rear projection technology to change the words/pictures on the book.

Pre-show part two, would continue the book theme, with video screens providing a more dynamic presentation and an AA figure of Cogsworth to provide narration.

Pre-show part three, would once again continue the book, with Mrs. Potts and Chip there to narrate.

In the final pre-show scene, I’m thinking Lumiere would appear with the representation of the rose with the falling petals, which is certainly the looming timekeeper of the story.
View attachment 193911
I look forward to your reactions/comments/suggestions – more about the concept of using the revolving theater, since the pre-show itself is still only a glimmer in my mind.
Wow! I have to say that I'm really impressed by this! :eek: I think this is an excellent pre-show and I love how how the central characters (that everyone knows and loves) will be there to provide the narration. Great job, Horizon! :inlove:

MonorailRed

Applebees
View attachment 193911
Here is my concept for the pre-show to the Beauty and the Beast attraction. It would utilize a carousel of four theaters arranged in a “donut” which revolves around a fixed stage area. Except for the top row – to accommodate wheelchairs and motorized chairs – the rows of seats would be on a slight incline to afford maximum view. The entire pre-show experience (from load to exit) would take 12 minutes, with the theaters rotating counterclockwise.

This design presumes a ride capacity of approximately 2,400 guests per hour (40 guests boarding ride vehicles per minute). For reference, the Little Mermaid ride at Magic Kingdom has a 2,200 capacity per hour.

The queue would bring guests to the entry doors for what is indicated as theater #1 on the drawing. After the guests take their seats, there would be a short intro before the theater begins to rotate to the next stage position. (Theater #4 would then be in the “load” position and it would fill up, etc.). All four of the theaters would be in continuous use.

The carousel would rotate a quarter-turn every three (3) minutes, exposing the guests to a new portion of the pre-show. After the guests have rotated to the 4th stage position, that portion of the show would also be short, and guests would then exit to the ride.

As shown on the design, each row of seating would be a spacious 36” with the top row even more spacious to accommodate wheelchairs. The depth of each theater would be approximately 30’ from stage to back wall.

Although I want to give a lot more thought to the pre-show (possibly waiting until I see the live action Beauty and the Beast movie this Friday), for the pre-show part 1, I’m envisioning a large-scale gilded book, a drawing of the Beast’s castle on the left side and the words “Once upon a time…” on the right side. In the short introductory segment at position #1, I would utilize rear projection technology to change the words/pictures on the book.

Pre-show part two, would continue the book theme, with video screens providing a more dynamic presentation and an AA figure of Cogsworth to provide narration.

Pre-show part three, would once again continue the book, with Mrs. Potts and Chip there to narrate.

In the final pre-show scene, I’m thinking Lumiere would appear with the representation of the rose with the falling petals, which is certainly the looming timekeeper of the story.
View attachment 193911
I look forward to your reactions/comments/suggestions – more about the concept of using the revolving theater, since the pre-show itself is still only a glimmer in my mind.
Wonderful pre-show Horizon.:D Everything looks perfect so far. Can't wait to see more!:)

mickeyfan5534

View attachment 193911

View attachment 193911
This preshow is amazing. I only have one note, if I may. The original animators of the movie decided not to use a storybook opening in favor of stained glass windows telling the story. Why not use that and make them change like Disney Sea's Tower of Terror?

OvertheHorizon

This preshow is amazing. I only have one note, if I may. The original animators of the movie decided not to use a storybook opening in favor of stained glass windows telling the story. Why not use that and make them change like Disney Sea's Tower of Terror?

@mickeyfan5534 Thanks for sharing that idea. I'm a personal fan of stained glass (having made a few pieces over the years), so that might work. Or perhaps I could use a hybrid approach, since I've got four different "stages" on which to do the show. I'm thinking that stained glass might work well for the first and last stages.

Brer Oswald

I just finished rewatching the original. Haven't seen it since I was really young. I finally understand the praise. It's a masterpiece. I strongly have to reconsider my Top 10 Disney films now. Although the animated version is better than the remake, I can say with confidence that the remake did the original justice. It was incredibly faithful to the story!

OvertheHorizon

I just finished rewatching the original. Haven't seen it since I was really young. I finally understand the praise. It's a masterpiece. I strongly have to reconsider my Top 10 Disney films now. Although the animated version is better than the remake, I can say with confidence that the remake did the original justice. It was incredibly faithful to the story!
I like both versions. I plan to take another look at the original animated one as part of my consideration of the pre-show for our attraction. When it comes to fantasy, I think I would tend to prefer the more realistic version if it is well done, versus the animated. It just come to "life" more for me, and I definitely think this was well done. Seeing it in IMAX 3-D made for a special experience. Even the end credits looked beautiful, and our audience mostly stayed through them.

Having said that, I'm thinking for our theme park project that we should rely on the look of the animated feature. It's a question I've been thinking about even before seeing the new movie.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I like both versions. I plan to take another look at the original animated one as part of my consideration of the pre-show for our attraction. When it comes to fantasy, I think I would tend to prefer the more realistic version if it is well done, versus the animated. It just come to "life" more for me, and I definitely think this was well done. Seeing it in IMAX 3-D made for a special experience. Even the end credits looked beautiful, and our audience mostly stayed through them.

Having said that, I'm thinking for our theme park project that we should rely on the look of the animated feature. It's a question I've been thinking about even before seeing the new movie.
I agree with that I think the animated feature is the way to go in terms of what to base things off of. That will always be the original and one that people think of first, even though the live-action got decent reviews as well.

Suchomimus

I hope to see Beauty and The Beast soon; it looks promising.
BtVrt1fCEAA1TFo.jpg

OvertheHorizon

Fellow Beauty and the Beast attraction fauxmagineers: Do we know what scenes will/should be represented in the ride? I've heard "Be Our Guest" and the ballroom dance. The final transformation seems a likely one. What else? (We probably don't need more than four or five vignettes to make it work.) I haven't seen much activity here and thought I'd try to jump start our efforts.

orlando678-

Fellow Beauty and the Beast attraction fauxmagineers: Do we know what scenes will/should be represented in the ride? I've heard "Be Our Guest" and the ballroom dance. The final transformation seems a likely one. What else? (We probably don't need more than four or five vignettes to make it work.) I haven't seen much activity here and thought I'd try to jump start our efforts.
are we planning on having all the scenes inside the castle or also scenes in the town?

OvertheHorizon

are we planning on having all the scenes inside the castle or also scenes in the town?
It's a good question. One of the reasons I asked about ride scenes is to help me determine what's best to include in the pre-show. As I watched the live action movie last Friday, I thought that the focus for the ride should be on the castle, since that is where "beauty and the beast" scenes take place. Should the angry mob of townspeople outside the castle be part of the ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom