News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

britain

I just need to take this moment to say, that the last time I rode imagination, it was pretty bad. Nothing at all like the wonderful attraction I remember it being. As the years passed I heard the history of the attraction's remodel and how it had been redone again to insert more Figment in it. I had always assumed that the version I saw was "Journey into imagination with Figment" because of the few token appearances of Figment in it.

Until yesterday. I watched @marni1971 's tribute video on remodels. I realized I had never seen the newest version! And I have to admit that, judging by the video, it is a big improvement. It is not the wonderful old attraction it used to be, but it is not the train wreck either.

And so, being better informed, I can now get behind the rationale of leaving imagination alone and addressing the rest of future world first.

Thank you for your great videos, Martin!

Last edited:

clemmo

So it looks like MS refurb is next year now? I'm assuming this is the first project that will begin as part of the epcot overhaul. Probably followed by Rat which I'm guessing is 2020 considering how quickly things seem to be moving.

HMF

For a park dedicated to the promise of multiculturalism and world peace, it would be incredibly appropriate for Russia to be a part of World Showcase. That's even more true in light of recent events.
How quickly we forget that "Disney Parks" are simply a place to turn movies into rides and push our IP down guests throats and empty their wallets by any means possible.

Last edited:

HMF

.....sooo, how about that Future World?
Martin, Butler, Feather, anyone....I'd like to hear some plans about the spine refurb. At what Martin wrote somewhere, it sounds to be greener. Any details or depth to the new look?
Yeah, the asesthetics are really the only good thing about this refurb, but I would take Millennium Central for the entire millennium to avoid everything that comes with this refurb.

Last edited:

RoysCabin

Regardless, the money isn't being put up for a Russia pavilion at EPCOT, so it's a moot point as things stand. I'd be curious what shape a Brazil pavilion would take; the original Venezuelan pavilion concept was another indoor style one ala Mexico, and I can't speak on whether such a design would work well for it's South American peer.

HMF

Not going down this rabbit hole, but if we must mention political things on this site it'd be polite to first check fact check websites or Snopes before you post something that's demonstrably false. Sorry, I teach poli sci, stuff like that just gets me a bit.

Regardless, the money isn't being put up for a Russia pavilion at EPCOT, so it's a moot point as things stand. I'd be curious what shape a Brazil pavilion would take; the original Venezuelan pavilion concept was another indoor style one ala Mexico, and I can't speak on whether such a design would work well for it's South American peer.
Again, rather than a new pavillion. I would think it would be wise to combine the Mexico Pavillion with all the other Latin American Countries and kill two birds with one stone.

KrazyKat

All political things aside, I've always wished Russia would be added to WS. Russia is the largest country in the world and imagine seeing a recreation of this:
kremlin-001.jpg

Although looking at that for some reason reminds of the 25th Anniversary castle cake, I don't know why.

doctornick

Regarding the identity of a new ("likely") WS pavilion, I find it interesting that our insiders are particularly tight lipped without any hints. At least none that I recall. I feel like that might indicate that no one is close to guessing it right and that the pavilion will be something totally different than anyone is predicting.

That said, Brazil makes sense and there's even been concept art for previous blue sky plans, but I wouldn't be shocked if they used another South American country (maybe Argentina) if they wanted to represent that part of the world.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Uhm... what does any of that have to do with Russia's tourism minister receiving a directive from Putin to pay Disney (ballpark figure, no idea what it would really cost)- $100 million for a Russia pavilion sponsorship? Are you saying Russia is incapable of flushing massive amounts of money down the toilet in order to prop up their image as a world leader/quasi-superpower status despite the country running huge deficits and teetering on financial collapse? They spent $51,000,000,000 on Sochi and have already spent over $10,000,000,000 on the 2018 World Cup (and that number will probably double once all of the backroom deals and phony accounting is factored in).

The amount of money needed to showcase the greatness of Mother Russia to 10 million visitors a year at EPCOT is a drop in the bucket. They probably spend more on a one lane highway leading to a mid-level politician's estate on a hilltop (again, after the backroom deals and phony accounting are factored).

Come on, Russia has been impoverished to a degree for 30 years. Even throughout the late 70's and early 80's most Russians standards of living were below much of the industrialized West. That hasn't stopped them from electing a strong man who promises them a better life in return for that leader being allowed to be a corrupt business oligarch who showers money on his associates, blows a hole in his country's budget, turns the country into an isolated international pariah and ultimately has scores of people love him for it (at some point I may have gotten away from describing Putin).
Their vodka and caviar sales in the gift shop will probably pay for it in a couple of years.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
that's an honest assumption ...it needs a whole reimagining...what if the interior supports were massive tree branches, what if the pavilion looked like it was made of the land itself... Rocks, trees, digitally projected sky and weather elements...the whole central core could be spectacular...and would really exemplify the theme...
Paint it all blue and it could be Pandora... ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom