News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

rushtest4echo

Russia is impoverished. There's no way they could afford to sponsor a pavilion. I was there two years ago, and it was a very sad place. Other great candidate countries are facing similar economic crises, including Greece, Brazil and Egypt. Most of the Pavilions were sponsored and built when the Cold War was still going on, and economic barriers between countries were much higher. The end of the Cold War meant that having allies was no longer as imperative for countries, and the lowering of economic barriers meant that foreign countries no longer needed a big time Epcot foot in the door to help make connections in America. Put another way, the incentives for countries to plant themselves in Orlando is no longer as advantageous. Sadly, I do not think Disney will have an easy time adding pavilions for the foreseeable future.

Uhm... what does any of that have to do with Russia's tourism minister receiving a directive from Putin to pay Disney (ballpark figure, no idea what it would really cost)- $100 million for a Russia pavilion sponsorship? Are you saying Russia is incapable of flushing massive amounts of money down the toilet in order to prop up their image as a world leader/quasi-superpower status despite the country running huge deficits and teetering on financial collapse? They spent $51,000,000,000 on Sochi and have already spent over $10,000,000,000 on the 2018 World Cup (and that number will probably double once all of the backroom deals and phony accounting is factored in).

The amount of money needed to showcase the greatness of Mother Russia to 10 million visitors a year at EPCOT is a drop in the bucket. They probably spend more on a one lane highway leading to a mid-level politician's estate on a hilltop (again, after the backroom deals and phony accounting are factored).

Come on, Russia has been impoverished to a degree for 30 years. Even throughout the late 70's and early 80's most Russians standards of living were below much of the industrialized West. That hasn't stopped them from electing a strong man who promises them a better life in return for that leader being allowed to be a corrupt business oligarch who showers money on his associates, blows a hole in his country's budget, turns the country into an isolated international pariah and ultimately has scores of people love him for it (at some point I may have gotten away from describing Putin).

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Russia is impoverished. There's no way they could afford to sponsor a pavilion. I was there two years ago, and it was a very sad place. Other great candidate countries are facing similar economic crises, including Greece, Brazil and Egypt. Most of the Pavilions were sponsored and built when the Cold War was still going on, and economic barriers between countries were much higher. The end of the Cold War meant that having allies was no longer as imperative for countries, and the lowering of economic barriers meant that foreign countries no longer needed a big time Epcot foot in the door to help make connections in America. Put another way, the incentives for countries to plant themselves in Orlando is no longer as advantageous. Sadly, I do not think Disney will have an easy time adding pavilions for the foreseeable future.
The norm is private sponsorship, not government sponsorship.

Sam Magic

Are you seriously saying the nation that spent almost $70 billion total in putting on sport extravaganzas (Olympics and Fifa), that it wouldn't fund a relatively cheap pavilion? It's not like Russia is a democracy, their politicians don't have to worry about funding fiasco's like ours do.

In a normal Western democracy like Spain it would be unreasonable to ask the government (which barely has a majority of support in parliament) to pay for a pavilion. In a fake democracy like Russia Disney could probably get them to fund a pavilion big enough for three pavilion slots.

I am trying to think of which Brazilian corporate sponsor would do it? Anyone know of some powerful Brazilian companies that would find an EPCOT pavilion worth their time and money.

KrzyKtty

Well partisanship and politics aside, with the current administration it should be easier for them to do a Russia pavilion than in the past. Since the current administration seems to want to improve relations with the country, it might be easier to get worker visas and cross other hurdles.

Bocabear

I would be nice if they renovated the main salon of the pavilion again. I absolutely hate the 2005 color scheme and design choices.
I agree...the whole "Airport" theme really does nothing to enhance the theme of the pavilion...only for the Soarin' attraction... They really should overhaul the whole interior to really make it feel like The Land, and not Shopping Mall Food Court...

Sam Magic

I agree...the whole "Airport" theme really does nothing to enhance the theme of the pavilion...only for the Soarin' attraction... They really should overhaul the whole interior to really make it feel like The Land, and not Shopping Mall Food Court...
I'll be honest, when I visited back 2008 I was ten and my first thought was that The Land was just one massive foodcourt/mall.

Tiki Queen of Outer Space

Why not bring the mural back?
13063094_10153349535752581_7835540940564347198_o.jpg

Sam Magic

Question. I know this wouldn't happen but is it possible for Soarin to be its completely own building and attraction? Like is there space for it?

Bocabear

I'll be honest, when I visited back 2008 I was ten and my first thought was that The Land was just one massive foodcourt/mall.
that's an honest assumption ...it needs a whole reimagining...what if the interior supports were massive tree branches, what if the pavilion looked like it was made of the land itself... Rocks, trees, digitally projected sky and weather elements...the whole central core could be spectacular...and would really exemplify the theme...

Sam Magic

that's an honest assumption ...it needs a whole reimagining...what if the interior supports were massive tree branches, what if the pavilion looked like it was made of the land itself... Rocks, trees, digitally projected sky and weather elements...the whole central core could be spectacular...and would really exemplify the theme...
Oh that would be amazing. It reminds me of Baxter's original concept for the pavilion:
The_Land_Early_Concept.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom