Typhoon Lagoon New Raft Ride - Miss Adventure Falls

JoeCamel

How is it a princess ride? Mary's neither a princess (despite having the points in Beastmaster required for that class, but that's important for SEA class too) nor does she make any physical appearance outside pictures and a figurehead.
The princesses are in the raft - riding. It is what the ride was built for.

Last edited:

Bocabear

Meaning that Volcano Bay, with all its high tech wizardry, didn't have a Shark Reef style attraction. Which was the most unique activity in any water park.

And Disney had this (for the win), and closed it.
Not sure what your argument is...Volcano Bay has not opened yet, and when they do open, Typhoon Lagoon will not have Sharkl Reef...nor will Volcano Bay. Yes, Shark Reef was cool, but gone...meanwhile, Volcano Bay seems to have all the latest greatest technology, plus... I guess we will know more when it actually opens, but it sure looks like it will be amazing.

KrzyKtty

Volcano bay does look cool, but when we go in June we are probably still going to stick to BB. The cost for BB will be cheaper for us with Water Fun and More. Also, I would rather not deal with the crowds that Volcano Bay will most likely be experiencing.

rushtest4echo

Thread win for me.

If UNI were to open a brand new Koaster Kingdom, 15 mega coasters, then the correct answer isn't for Disney to compete the MK with the new park by ripping out Small World and Peter Pan for a small bare steel coaster. You weaken your position by offering a weaker version of the new kid in town, while destroying what you did better.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm really growing tired of explaining to people why Universal's water park happens to have more extreme versions of water slides than Disney tends to offer (with only one or two exceptions). I don't want to see an unthemed proslide complex thrown up at any of Disney's water parks.

Can we just distill all of these arguments down to this:
Best waterpark themed area in Orlando: the VOLCANO part of Volcano Bay
Best waterpark theming around the entire park in Orlando: remains to be seen, but Volcano Bay loses significant points for unthemed slide towers hugging freeway ramps and office buildings
Best collection of slides for young adults/teenagers: The Universal Offerings
Best collection of slides for families/children: The Disney Offerings
The "most innovative" waterpark in Orlando: Volcano Bay
The "most innovative" waterpark in the industry: Not Volcano Bay

But I know, as people have pointed out:
"It's Not a Water Park", Insists Universal About New Water Park

How so? I'm assuming that the combination of theming and the usage of Tapu Tapu somehow separates this water "theme" park from Disney and other's offerings or something along those lines? Completely absurd. If VB is a water "theme" park (some new hybrid between a waterpark and theme park), then that concept belongs to Disney with their parks. There's no level of difference between their offerings because Universal built more updated/adult oriented slides and has an interactive wristband. It's not some industry shaking new paradigm. Sorry, not even close.

For those extolling the interactive virtues and wonder of things like Tapu Tapu and the level of theming at VB, I'll let Robb Alvey do the talking. Not that I have an ounce of respect for the guy, but he know's the industry better than the vast majority of people and despite his idiotic rantings and his terrible attitude- he's been to more theme/water parks than anyone on here guaranteed. Keep in mind this guy lives blocks away from Volcano Bay.

All photos from ThemeParkReview/Robb Alvey
"This is how impressive the attention to detail is @YasWaterWorld... even the slide supports are themed with rock work! Amazing!" You'll find interactive elements around @YasWaterWorld that are brought to life by tapping your RFID wristband!" "So impressed with how well themed @YasWaterWorld is! The water parks in the UAE are easily the best in the world!"

C7XbDYVWkAQ_RMS.jpg

Themed supports, something Universal isn't coming close to. Disney's supports are either concealed with vegetation, built into a larger structure, or are appropriately themed. Universal's slide towers are not (aside from the Volcano, which houses less than 1/4 of the park's attractions. There's one other tower which is getting rock work and the other 4-5 towers are receiving generic "island" theming with thatched roofs, canvas covers and probably bamboo railings similar to plenty of typical waterparks.

C7XY8PiWkAA0-Sl.jpg

Their "slide tower"

C7Xcd4hW4AAIOE1.jpg

Their "tapu tapu" which despite not using an LCD screen accomplishes all of Tapu-Tapu's "magic". It actually has more features than Tapu to be honest. Tapu Tapu isn't revolutionary, it was brought to market 8 years ago and parks all over the globe (including plenty right here in the US) have been using some form of wristband virtual queing for almost a decade now. Eliminating standby is the only "innovation" that Universal's introducing with Tapu- and we'll see how that turns out.

C7XdN7LXkAAaE86.jpg

Interactive elements that are triggered via Yas's queueless wristband system. They've been there for years...

Meanwhile, Volcano Bay seems to have all the latest greatest technology, plus... I guess we will know more when it actually opens, but it sure looks like it will be amazing.

It's got the latest slides out of the Proslide catalog if that's what you're referring to. Then again so did Wet n' Wild.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Uhhm...
Shouldn't a water park designed and built some 30 years after Typhoon Lagoon be capable of surpassing TL in some areas?
I honestly don't get what some of the VB fans are boasting about?
It should be better.
Considering this though, on the surface it's not that impressive.
More radical slides for sure - but again, it's - what was that again? Oh yeah, 30 years later.
There are plenty of water parks with more radical slides than TL.
As for theming, a volcano is hardly breaking new ground.

rushtest4echo

Again, we really need to move this over to Universal's forum. Can a mod help us out?

A
Also- stop assuming. As I said in an earlier post, there are a plethora of things they could offer that sets it apart from a traditional water park. Street entertainment being one of them.
I've been to many a water park with a band playing and a few performers. Aquatica has animal interactions and small shows (or they did at one point). More resort water parks than not have a walk up or in pool bar. All of this stuff is present at Port Aventura's water park and has been for quite some time. Much of this is present over at Caribbean Beach Resort's main pool area.

For every example you or other people have pointed out that separates Universal from other water parks, there are tons of examples elsewhere that predate VB. Couldn't be happier to see it there- well I could if it were truly a game changing paradigm shifting park, I would obviously be even more excited to see that, but that's not what VB is by any measure. Enough already.Stop reaching. It's a water park.

I could also tell you I'd likely rather spend a day at VB than at DHS. Do we still get to call DHS a theme park? And for the umpteeth time- Disney does market their water parks internationally as theme parks. It's only domestically that they don't.
What does that have to do with making VB a theme park? I would have rather spent a day at Raging Waters in San Dimas than go to DCA when it first opened, and even as recently as the placemaking efforts. If you're implying that VB has more theming than Hollywood Studios then I don't think we can have an honest discussion. You're too far gone if you think stuff like Star Tours, Tower of Terror, Fantasmic or even stuff like Indiana Jones stunt show and Toy Story Mania are inferior to a water park. And for every construction wall at DHS or every Rock n Rollercoaster (which by the way still has a great plaza/queue) there's a huge completely unthemed slide tower at VB. Give it a rest, that's just a ridiculous argument.

I've not seen Disney market them as theme parks internationally, but I'll take your word for it. So Disney has 6 theme parks at WDW then. Issue settled. Next time we discuss the "5th gate" I'll remind everyone that it's in fact going to be the 7th gate. ;)

The one thing we can unequivocally agree on is that Robb Alvey is a giant turd.
Nothing to add to this, just figured it deserved a shout out again. :D

It's not boasting necessarily- it's just a little defending from the insanity of the Disney-blind. Your entire post regarding VB is a resounding "meh". And it deserves more than that- even if you are a Disney fanboy. It would be the equivalent of a Universal Fanboy dismissing the beauty of Pandora simply because it opened later. "Of course it should be better than soarin'- it's 16 years newer". "As for theming, mountains are hardly breaking new ground".
Can we not like both companies? These aren't professional sports teams.
The day you start appreciating both resorts- is a good day- trust me.
Nobody is asserting that Pandora is a theme park and people who say it's ground breaking don't have a leg to stand on aside from the floating mountains, which truly are spectacular. Much like Potterland, the media has taken the reigns and just ran with Pandora as a park. (I know that Universal never explicitly stated that Potterland was, but every media organization took it and ran when Universal IMPLIED as much too). Excellent marketing on their part. I've never seen so many ill-informed people discussing something compared with Universals 2 HARRY POTTER THEME PARKS. I'm assuming their relying on those same ignorant/uninformed guests to feel the same way about Volcano Bay being a theme park.

I don't think people have a lack of appreciation for Universal. Yes, plenty of Disney people trumpet the greatness of Disney and have rose colored glasses for the place. They hate any criticism of the place and fail to understand that like any other place, there is much room for improvement on the surface and underneath. Same for Universal fans though. Plenty of Disney fans will knock Universal because they perceive it as a threat to their preferred cup-o-tea. Again, same thing for Universal fans. It's common around all fandoms. I completely appreciate Universal for what it is (which is to say, I spend 90% of my time at Potterland- enter park, ride 2 or 3 coasters/thrill rides and a dark ride within the first hour, then off to Potterland till lunch and then I'm off to spend the rest of my day at Disney).

But I don't give their marketing dept brownie points for using cheap/reckless language when describing their parks any more than I would at Disney (which is to say- I don't there either). I don't get whipped up any more about a Rivers of Light plug from some show producer than I do when Universal is trying to convince me that their new water park is in fact something else. It's not. People who fail to understand this are one or more of these:

Ill-informed
Universal fanboys
Haven't taken a look around the industry
Looking for anything to substantiate their notion that Disney is now 'behind Universal'

It appears that you meet all four of those criteria.

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

Ill-informed: lacking adequate or proper knowledge or information, as in one particular subject or in a variety of subjects

You're clearly ill-informed on the fact that Universal's offerings at VB are not actually groundbreaking. You've demonstrated that repeatedly.

andysol

You're clearly ill-informed on the fact that Universal's offerings at VB are not actually groundbreaking. You've demonstrated that repeatedly.

Please clarify where I've stated as such.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/illinformed

Here are my three posts on the matter
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...s-adventure-falls.914259/page-29#post-7619899
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...s-adventure-falls.914259/page-29#post-7619997
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...s-adventure-falls.914259/page-30#post-7620695

Can I just say that I've had multiple discussions over the past two years on this forum- but your new "emergence" of 200+ posts in a month is wearing thin to me. I always feel like I can dialogue with people, but you are likely to be my first person on the ignore list. Close-minded know-it alls who spout opinion as fact and who lack objectivity are very off-putting.

Last edited:

Incomudro

As for best collection of slides for families. BB certainly doesn't- although with the addition of Miss Adventure- TL likely does. The 2 kids areas at VB are massive- and certainly the kids area at VB trumps anything close to TL or BB (as well it should). I think M.A. Falls was a great move simply because it keeps that demo leaning towards TL more.

Also- stop assuming. As I said in an earlier post, there are a plethora of things they could offer that sets it apart from a traditional water park. Street entertainment being one of them. I could also tell you I'd likely rather spend a day at VB than at DHS. Do we still get to call DHS a theme park? And for the umpteeth time- Disney does market their water parks internationally as theme parks. It's only domestically that they don't.

The one thing we can unequivocally agree on is that Robb Alvey is a giant turd.

It's not boasting necessarily- it's just a little defending from the insanity of the Disney-blind. Your entire post regarding VB is a resounding "meh". And it deserves more than that- even if you are a Disney fanboy. It would be the equivalent of a Universal Fanboy dismissing the beauty of Pandora simply because it opened later. "Of course it should be better than soarin'- it's 16 years newer". "As for theming, mountains are hardly breaking new ground".
Can we not like both companies? These aren't professional sports teams.
The day you start appreciating both resorts- is a good day- trust me.

I'm not Disney blind, and I visited Universal Studios in May 2016.
Yes, it is possible to like both - though comparisons are inevitable and most people end up comparing them and coming dwon in favor of one or the other.
Water parks have been around for a long time.
The first thing that grabbed me when I saw Typhoon Lagoon was that it did not look like a conventional water park.
It did what Disney was great at:
It hid the mechanism.
Now, some three decades later - that's a long time - Universal has come along with their own water park, where the mechanism is in plain site and the theming is hardly original.
So yeah, on the surface - I'm not exactly wowed.
Will the slides be more fun?
Certainly, many of TL's slides are pretty dull.
Will it have some newer and cooler features?
Well, certainly it's built and designed decades later.
As for being able to like both Universal and DW...
Well, this is a WDW forum so yes - I prefer WDW.
Universal has got a long way to go to catch up with WDW, if it can at all.

Ripken10

Please clarify where I've stated as such.
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/illinformed

Here are my three posts on the matter
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...s-adventure-falls.914259/page-29#post-7619899
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...s-adventure-falls.914259/page-29#post-7619997
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...s-adventure-falls.914259/page-30#post-7620695

Can I just say that I've had multiple discussions over the past two years on this forum- but your new "emergence" of 200+ posts in a month is wearing thin to me. I always feel like I can dialogue with people, but you are likely to be my first person on the ignore list. Close-minded know-it alls who spout opinion as fact and who lack objectivity are very off-putting.

ETA: Thanks @CJR that was my 3,000th Like :D
Please stop the bashing, take it to personal messages, and stop talking about Volcano bay. This discussion does not belong here.

rushtest4echo

As I said in an earlier post, there are a plethora of things they could offer that sets it apart from a traditional water park.
Ill-informed.
I and others have provided plenty of examples to this effect.

But as for you saying "It's supposed to be the best"- I believe it will be. I truly do. I feel we need to wait until we see the offerings, and then decide.The level of detail on the interactivity, the use of new technology (such as the wave pool), the detail of the restaurant(s) and stores/bathrooms, and the length and effectiveness of the volcano night show can all have the ability to make this park truly special. Or not. Or even additional things we might not yet know- will there be an elaborate AA? Will there be "street" performers/dancers? This, more than possibly anything we've had on the books for the past decade, shouldn't be judged prior to opening.
Ill-informed.
Interactivity has been done, to the same degree Universal is using. I just provided an example a few posts prior, with the pictures to show for it.
Multidirectional Wave Pool: "People wanted everything to be big in the 80’s and that included waves. ADG innovation reinvents wave technology throughout the industry and is first to market with variable speed and multi-directional waves. A series of strategic acquisitions in wave machinery and commercial pool equipment, combined with superior in-house engineering and design, propelled ADG to the leader in wave generation technology." This is from a 1980's posting about a waterpark supplier website. Did you even bother to check beyond Universal saying it was a "worlds first"? Wild Rivers in Irvine had one of these almost 30 years ago.
Detail in the restrooms and restaurants may in fact be a world beater, I'm not sure one that.
Night time multmedia shows are common at smaller European and Indian water parks, they even use projection mapping and fire effects. Even Aquatica and Adventure Island have live entertainment during their "summer nights" offerings. Simply because Disney doesn't offer it doesn't mean that Universal having it makes it innovative or a "worlds first". It's common stuff here.

Most are not judging any of this before it's open. We're merely stating that it's not groundbreaking, even as a combination.

But none them combine all of those features and then throws on interactive RFID objects, nighttime show, table service restaurant, lineless queues, and a multidirectional wave pool- all of which are new to the industry.
Ill-informed.
Combinations of those have existed for quite some time. Lineless queues isn't an innovation.

I think it's unfair to universal to expect this park to be "the WWoHP of water parks". As they've never mentioned it as such. In fact- in their marketing- they've never harped on immersion once. Their marketing has been pushing "exhilaration, excitement, and relaxation". I believe that would be them "owning it", as you said.
Ill-informed.
The post directly below this statement showed multiple examples of Universal explicitly emphasizing immersion.

The bottom line is if I'm at a water park- I'd much rather have the 18 attractions at VB all over the place- even if some are "unthemed"- than the 11 attractions at TL- of which only 6 are integrated (while the other 5 are standalone- yet we conveniently forget that aspect)
Ill-informed.
If you want to debate which slides are where at VB vs TL, here's an easy one for you. Miss Adventure Falls and Crushn' Gusher are the only two slide towers not integrated into the Geyser at TL. Both of those demonstrate a level of theming far above any of the slides that are detached from VB's landmark.

But truthfully, water parks are pretty lame for the under 42" crowd anyway- and that's not Universal's bag, so I'm a little surprised they made such an elaborate area there.
Ill-informed.
The parks we're discussing- Typhoon and Bilzzard, happen to be quite welcoming to a huge chunk of "happy" under 42" visitors compared with the rest of the industry. I've never met or seen a kid under 42" who feels that water parks are "lame", especially the Disney ones... Either way, actual demographics and surveys prove you wrong as is. Then there's the fact the Universal specifically marketed "family" and "young kids" additions to Wet n' Wild when they purchased the park- since Disney was outright murdering them in that demo.

Last edited:

Delgado

Ok so I just want to know if anyone has ridden it? Don't really want to go back into the pages because the last has been too much fun for me!!!

So anyone? Is it good?

rushtest4echo

Can we all agree to take this over to the Volcano Bay thread? I'll continue to have the conversation here and valid comparisons can be done relating to Typhoon Lagoon and Miss Adventure Falls. But it's been pages of constantly veering over to Volcano Bay (which I'm guilty of fueling, but I really am trying to address things already brought up). Can we take a break? Expecting those who keep veering to Volcano Bay being awesome and Disney Water Parks sucking go undisputed here is unfair too. Same goes for people who feel the need to constantly take a shot at VB when it's not relating to Typhoon Lagoon. Lets all just bring it over to the appropriate thread.

I'm totally game for a healthy (well informed) debate about VB's merits. It's going to be a great water park regardless of your feelings about Miss Adventure Falls or the Disney Water Parks, so lets go talk the finer points where they belong.

here we go:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/volcano-bay.899943/page-24#post-7616488

Last edited:

MiddKid

The parks we're discussing- Typhoon and Bilzzard, happen to be quite welcoming to a huge chunk of "happy" under 42" visitors compared with the rest of the industry. I've never met or seen a kid under 42" who feels that water parks are "lame", especially the Disney ones...

I can't tell you how true and important this is. Took my young daughters to BB and TL and they rode everything except for the few slides with height restrictions: Summit Plummet, Slush Gusher, Downhill Double Dipper, Crush N Gusher, HumungaK. And quite frankly they were young enough that they didn't want to go on those slides. But they got to do family raft slides, tube slides, mat racers/slalom, body slides, etc. They loved it. My two youngest were less than 42".

4 Months later we go to our local Great Wolf Lodge and my two youngest can literally only ride the two tiny body slides in the kids play area. Not allowed on the tube slides, not allowed in the family raft ride, and certainly not in the Howling Tornado. I had a fun time trying to explain why they could ride "everything" (in their minds) at TL and BB, yet GWL wouldn't let them do any "real" slides.

rushtest4echo

^ Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea Great Wolf was so inaccessible for younger kids. Seems kind of insane given their key demographics.

Continuing with the discussion without veering too far toward Universal-

I'm pretty sure Disney will continue to keep their water parks more family friendly compared to Volcano Bay, similar to the dynamic present at the competing theme parks. However, aside from the simple fact that Disney has needed to expand their offerings at their water parks FOREVER, will VB force Disney's hand at trying some more teenage/young adult friendly slides? I don't really care to see a Proslide bowl or something of that sort at the Disney waterparks, but perhaps it's time for them to at least consider something like that.

Goofyque'

We were family planning this morning. Our group includes a 6yo, 10yo, 2 in their mid 20s, 2 in their mid 30s, and 2 in their 60s. Each and every one is beyond excited about Miss Fortune Falls. Seems like it is a great addition to what is already a favorite park for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom