The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Ha! We tried to live there for the first year of our marriage, but he couldn't find a job in his field. The company he works for here is unfortunately not international, so getting transferred is probably not going to happen. I just need to win the lottery!
Good luck winning the lottery! :) We have been trying for years with no luck. :( But if you win don't forget your friends here.;)

Songbird76

Again, great news about the work situation, and good luck with your evaluation...!!! :)

DS was flagged at a pretty young age for ADD/ADHD, by his pediatric neurologist, and was originally put on Ritalin. Unfortunately, the Ritalin basically turned him into a zombie, so we tried Adderall instead. That pretty much did the trick for him. He took Adderall for several years, and then we started to reduce the dosage over time, until by the time he was about midway through his sophomore year of HS he wasn't on any meds anymore, and hasn't needed any since.
It worked for him. We monitored things with him as well as we could, and went with our gut.
He was also flagged as being on the autism spectrum, and also as having Asperger's, although not the reclusive kind. It can all be so confusing and overwhelming at times. He is doing well, though, and is still working at the Salvation Army store within walking distance of DWifeys office.
Hope y'all can dial in the right treatments for your DS, once all the test results are in and y'all have a better idea of what you're dealing with.

As far as the bullying goes with DS, it happened some, but, it was pretty minimal, considering. The staffs at all of his schools were pretty much on top of stuff like that, especially when it came to the special needs kiddos.
Our "normal" youngest DD actually went through worse bullying at one point in HS, and I know I've already posted about how I took care of that.

Anyhoo, the best of luck with everything...!!! :)

Thanks! Yeah, I think the diagnosis is the key. We hadn't gotten a diagnosis before because whatever label you put on it, he's still him and he is who he is. But the school seems to need the diagnosis to accept his behavior that isn't "normal". Like...if you don't have a solid reason for acting a certain way, then it is not acceptable behavior, and without the diagnosis, you can't prove that he isn't doing it on purpose. So when he breaks into tears because his pen is empty, that's unacceptable behavior unless the reason he does that is because he has some disorder that makes it hard for his brain to deal with the situation. He goes into panic mode and bursts into tears when most children will just ask for a new pen. (Everything is provided here in elementary school...pens, paper, markers, etc) So we hadn't gotten a diagnosis before because it didn't really matter to us WHAT he has as long as we have the tools to help him, but we seem to have come to the point where a diagnosis is important for him so that he can GET those tools...they won't help him if they don't have a diagnosis. It's like...if they can't see it, it's not there. No diagnosis means he is just like every other kid and he is expected to react like every other kid. And the bullying is, in their eyes, a reaction to his being weird and if he just reacted like every other kid like he's supposed to, he wouldn't be bullied...he brings it on himself. I disagree with that. I'm glad your son was able to manage it and didn't experience too much bullying. He must have had some great teachers, too! I remember you posting about your daughter being bullied. I've talked to several of the kids who bully my son...I'm apparently not sufficiently intimidating.

Songbird76

We want to go to Europe as soon as the "little" guy is gone.
Only a few more years to wait then! I have a bit longer as my youngest is only 9. That's why I'm shooting for our 25th anniversary. Both kids will be over 18 and out of high school, so we can take a trip without them and won't be limited to school holidays. And because our Anniversary falls right around F&W, I figure that's an EXCELLENT time to take a trip...celebrate the Anniversary AND get to do F&W, which has been on my bucket list since I heard about it. And, we can also hit Universal Studios and to WWoHP again. It will basically like a 2nd Honeymoon. And I might even convince Hubby to do a MNSSHP night, too.

MySmallWorldof4

Not that the Poly is my "go to" resort or anything, but I'm really struggling with all the DVC retrofits there and in so many other resorts at WDW--especially at WL. Obviously, the DVC business model must be some sort of cash cow for WDW with all that's going on. Guess it must work for many families as well, so there's no turning back.

Guess my main issue with all of this goes back to when they first started converting some hotel rooms into DVC. I prefer full service hotels, and had this idea in my mind that a DVC room would not be up to par with a traditional resort room. For whatever reason, it just seemed to me to cheapen the quality of the resort. The concept of a new, separate building of DVC (such as Bay Lake Tower--even though I think that's ugly) was somewhat better received by me, than some weird retrofit of existing rooms to DVC in a resort hotel.

My biggest fear is that down the road, they'll just make all the resorts into DVC and people like me who would pick an on-site, full-service hotel (for the convenience to the parks via Disney transportation), would be locked out.
Ya know, if DVC was still under $100 a point( I know, yeah right, ha ha :rolleyes:) we would have considered one. We should have back way back when, maybe.:oops: Didn't think we would have practically gone there every year since 2002. But now, with 4 kids, we need so many points that financially it doesn't make sense, plus with the ever increasing maintenance fees, we still come out ahead just by paying as we go. At least that is how my math wizard human calculator DH sees it. Not being facetious with the last sentence. :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I think @StarWarsGirl and @Tuvalu may be the experts in how many rooms the Poly lost to DVC
@Gabe1, I have not read of any additional longhouses being converted to DVC (although anything is possible but I certainly hope not!) Currently the three largest longhouses are DVC and though I don't know the number of rooms my guess would be 25-30% of the resort is DVC. This is better than WL, where just about half of existing rooms were converted to DVC.

I am not a fan of DVC (though with my frequency, a salesman's dream) and all the conversions and new DVC building make me sad.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I love people who fly by the seat of their pants and just enjoy the moment and never clog their brain with connecting the dots. Just tell me she isn't a teacher?

She is our high school guidance counselor. :)

I was thinking about Easter and your hubby being a pastor, no judgement, we all know I'm less than a stellar Catholic these days...I was more admiring your Chutzpah being the Pastors wife and flying off to Disneyland and bolting. In my little Hamlet the town would be a-buzz talking about your absence lol. Good for you.

And I about spit my Coke with your giving up park time. Too funny. IF you really had the desire to hit up a service, there should be one Disney official resort that will hold services that morning. They are usually held in a Conference or Banquet room.

Yeah they will probably talk about. They probably already talk about how little I do for the church. I don't care. I'm not into doing the women's meetings or church every week. I bake stuff and help with some youth stuff. I work my own full time job, I'm tired at the end of the day. No one says anything to me or hubs, so I will keep doing what I do. So if they have a problem with me using my time off to go to Disneyland, well that's fine. I don't tell them when they vacation. And they are still super happy with the job Brad does I'm not worried about that. :)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Funny, I booked fastpasses and now Disney's website is down. Stitch keeps eating the page. I thought I didn't like the fast pass choosing system before. I really don't like how it is set up now. Choosing individual ones made me lose out on some.:( Go figure. :confused:
Keep checking back you never know what may pop up when people change plans. What didn't you get?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Ya know, if DVC was still under $100 a point( I know, yeah right, ha ha :rolleyes:) we would have considered one. We should have back way back when, maybe.:oops: Didn't think we would have practically gone there every year since 2002. But now, with 4 kids, we need so many points that financially it doesn't make sense, plus with the ever increasing maintenance fees, we still come out ahead just by paying as we go. At least that is how my math wizard human calculator DH sees it. Not being facetious with the last sentence. :)
HA! Try talking your dh into doing it after paying for SOG or an offsite condo:arghh::cry::cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom