50 MAGICal Enhancements for the 50th ...

HMF

I would be shocked if Space Mountain didn't receive something. But it could be simply a special overlay. ... While I would love to tell you that the attraction would be gutted and replaced by a modern version I think that ship sailed with Phil Holmes in the 2007-09 period. There was an opportunity. There were plans.
Does it really take a Pressler-Harris-style incident to get the thing refurbed?

brb1006

Not sure whether I do or not. But can we talk about it on my other thread or on the DLP forum or somewhere else?
My apologies, it's just that I'm really hoping they don't screw up the 50th for WDW and give it extra special treatment like it did back during its 25th. I'm just afraid they might either take the cupcake idea or have a ceremony like this. And I been so impressed with the decor at Paris that I couldn't help but mention it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I really, really hope that the Tower of Terror drop shaft enhancements indicate that the Twilight Zone theme will stay. I'm not referring to the whole GotG thing, but instead to the rumor that the Twilight Zone theme will simply be removed from the existing attraction, rather than Disney renewing its contract with CBS for the rights. The Twilight Zone theme is a major part of what makes everything in that attraction "click" so perfectly, and elevates it to being the great work of art that it currently is.

There is NO Twilight Zone rights issues with CBS. None. ... Chappie went on stage to make me look bad (didn't work! You just might have to try again!) when he swore the GotG deal wasn't happening here. If it doesn't, then it will keep the current theme (as it should). ... But it will assuredly see some love before 10/1/21.

HMF

There is NO Twilight Zone rights issues with CBS. None. ... Chappie went on stage to make me look bad (didn't work! You just might have to try again!) when he swore the GotG deal wasn't happening here. If it doesn't, then it will keep the current theme (as it should). ... But it will assuredly see some love before 10/1/21.
I just hope it backfires royally in California.

NearTheEars

How about bringing back the Penny Arcade to begin with? Or making Main Street USA at least akin to the 1990s version with real shops and attractions and not one giant World of Disney crap outlet from Town Square to the Hub.

BTW, nostalgia is going to play a big part of this. Count on it. It was the 50th Anniversary that truly revived DL (not that it was doing poorly at all) on Burbank's radar. And really that was a marketing event very high on nostalgia and short on substance. A great new pyro show and new parade were the big highlights along with the start of retro merchandise lines being big. They also made sure the park and major attractions were in top show condition. They are going to milk WDW's 50th in very much a similar fashion.

I would honestly even be happy if they were to section off MSUSA by category (men's, women's, home goods, hats, books ...) and present them as separate stores. Even if it's the same stuff.

NearTheEars

I think people just speculated about Twilight Zone being a problem and the eventually others started believing that it was part of the reason why it was yanked from DCA. That happens sometimes here. Things start spreading without any real source.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I really don't feel like we should have to wait 4 years for some of these things....there should be a continual program of enhancement but still, it's welcome news. I just hope they don't cop out with "try our new cupcake at...". If we were to see 50 genuine additions/updates to rides and shows it would be spectacular.

But my mind is telling me to avoid the place in 2019/2020. Influx of Star Wars crowds, and MK shuttered off for enhancements...unless they have some serious plans to open up in 2020? It could be chaos. All for the better in the long run and much needed.

The mess actually started ... when did DS actually start? 2013 or 2014? About then. The theme parks have started in some cases, again not sure whether they will attempt to use Pandora in this (maybe change one of the new attractions a bit in four years?) ... This is multi-year, covering pretty much every park and most every resort location.

Look at DCA on a much smaller scale ... 2007-2012. A few quiet years as far as construction fences and now it's a mess across at DL and you have the Marvel crapfest at DCA.

Again, conflicting info whether its 50 updates/upgrades in the parks or also includes things from new restaurants at DS to new transports (gondolas) to new look resort rooms (yeah, they all will look like IKEA designed them as rubes love throwaway furniture!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have very mixed feelings about this. Although most of the proposed additions sound great, do we really need to wait 4.5 years to justify them?

These are the sorts of things that should be done on a continual basis, regardless of any upcoming anniversary. Walt called it "plussing"; essentially it's just continuing to tinker with the experience to exceed guest expectations. But given that Disney has been aiming to just-barely meet guest expectations for years, this seems like a radical departure

I blame both management and fans for this mindset. We've already had several years of folks here saying "I wish we had ______, maybe we'll get it for the 50th," despite that anniversary being years away. If instead the attitude were "We need _____, because tickets cost over $120 per day," perhaps these sorts of changes would happen on a more regular basis

In general the heart of this concept seems to be in the right place. I just don't like that we have to wait for an anniversary (one that is still several years away, to boot) to get it implemented. This should be part of the regular program of refurbishments and upgrades in all the parks, not something special worth celebrating.

Just quoting because your feelings pretty much mirror mine.

This is good news. And good stuff is on the way. Some arriving in time for summer.

But look at WDW in the 21st century. What has been added? Plussed? Simply maintained? I hate giving credit for what I took for granted in the 70s-90s.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is your opinion based upon any evidence or technical evaluation of the structure, or is it just emotional conjecture?

As much as Disney has been slacking in the show quality department, I'm confident they haven't been slacking in the safety department to the point that a critical part of a ride's structure is going to fail. In terms of safety, the strength of the track's support structure is way less of a concern than the fact that the structure is within reach of guests traveling in the vehicles.

I'd love for Space Mountain to get a full overhaul too, but from a guest experience perspective, not a safety perspective.

I was afraid to ride for a few years, after hearing some stories from people with experience with the attraction. Some of those issues were fixed and I do ride again from time to time. That said, a coaster only has limited lifespan. The Hulk at IOA was recently rebuilt -- and not to move it to EPCOT because Chappie ordered UNI to give it up for a few leftover MAGIC Bands and a plush to be named later -- and is greatly improved (although still not where I think it should be). Space Mountain was a cutting edge attraction in the 70s and into the 80s, but really should have been upgraded in the New 'But Not Really' Tomorrowland project of 1994-95. It is a relic now. It doesn't matter whether you or anyone enjoys it. But it could and should be an attraction talked about by park-goers and visitors because it is mindblowing fun -- like it once was. Not because you've ridden it 478 times and love it just the way it is.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow. Good idea making this a separate thread...let's try to keep it on topic everyone. In concept this is a really good idea. Something you would have expected from WDW in the 80s/90s. I'm sure some of the 50 things will be small or even negative additions (characters in Small World...yuck:hungover::mad::banghead:) but that's still a pretty significant scope to add to or enhance 50 attractions. It's good to see WDW getting some love again. I'm cautiously optimistic. Now if we can just avoid a catastrophic economic meltdown between now and 2021 maybe they will actually complete the project.

@WDW1974 any word on specific projects for EPCOT? I feel like I could almost find 50 things there that need some love, but specifically any changes to major pavilions like Energy and Imagination or another country?

I think ... can practically guarantee you'll see action on two of the three above. But my gut and common sense says only one by the 50th. But just look at all the dead space in that park where minor or temporary attractions can be stuck in for an 18-24 month marketing event.

HMF

I think people just speculated about Twilight Zone being a problem and the eventually others started believing that it was part of the reason why it was yanked from DCA. That happens sometimes here. Things start spreading without any real source.
Ah, the "Sorcerors hat" legal justification -type conspiracy-theories.

HMF

I was afraid to ride for a few years, after hearing some stories from people with experience with the attraction. Some of those issues were fixed and I do ride again from time to time. That said, a coaster only has limited lifespan. The Hulk at IOA was recently rebuilt -- and not to move it to EPCOT because Chappie ordered UNI to give it up for a few leftover MAGIC Bands and a plush to be named later -- and is greatly improved (although still not where I think it should be). Space Mountain was a cutting edge attraction in the 70s and into the 80s, but really should have been upgraded in the New 'But Not Really' Tomorrowland project of 1994-95. It is a relic now. It doesn't matter whether you or anyone enjoys it. But it could and should be an attraction talked about by park-goers and visitors because it is mindblowing fun -- like it once was. Not because you've ridden it 478 times and love it just the way it is.
Considering how they botched the DL Tomorrowland makeover. I am glad that TL-94 turned out as it did.

HMF

I think ... can practically guarantee you'll see action on two of the three above. But my gut and common sense says only one by the 50th. But just look at all the dead space in that park where minor or temporary attractions can be stuck in for an 18-24 month marketing event.
Another "Millennium Village" situation?

aladdin2007

The mess actually started ... when did DS actually start? 2013 or 2014? About then. The theme parks have started in some cases, again not sure whether they will attempt to use Pandora in this (maybe change one of the new attractions a bit in four years?) ... This is multi-year, covering pretty much every park and most every resort location.

Look at DCA on a much smaller scale ... 2007-2012. A few quiet years as far as construction fences and now it's a mess across at DL and you have the Marvel crapfest at DCA.

Again, conflicting info whether its 50 updates/upgrades in the parks or also includes things from new restaurants at DS to new transports (gondolas) to new look resort rooms (yeah, they all will look like IKEA designed them as rubes love throwaway furniture!)

They are making them so cheap and generic I have no interest staying on property anymore. You don't feel like your even at Disney World any longer (rooms wise). yacht club being the latest example, there is no Disney theming whatsoever in these rooms, why are they trying so hard to do away with details/theming? They are bland, flat, and nothing special. Not all of them yet, but with the current trend Im seeing I dont like it and don't get it.

DaGoof00

Any truth to those recent rumors on the site that shall not be named regarding gutting and a redo of the Grand Floridian?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom