Ferry dock remodel

Creathir

"Going in to". You are exactly right-When entering a property. Not once already inside that property.

I agree with you about the entrance, but a security station on the MK Poly/GF and FW/WL dock wouldn't have any impact on that experience.
They have 2 choices- search/scan on the resort docks, or when arrive on the MK docks- still away from the entrance, other people arriving by different modes of transport wouldn't even notice it, right? I'm just wondering why they would make the decision the way they did.

Sorry, I know I'm rambling. It just really doesn't make sense to me. They would choose to take their 2 most expensive resorts and install metal detectors within the resort. That's an awesome addition to the theme.
Eta- not saying it would be acceptable at any resort...just that these 2 charge a premium for a view that will now include a security tent, which even makes it that much more foolish imo.

So this is somewhat about guest safety, but almost guaranteed about brand safety.

Think of all the negative press which will be generated if some crazy or a planned terrorist attack occurs on a monorail or ferry boat?

The camera phone shots from the shoreline of some boat having experienced some tragic event, and the news articles stating over and over how no security screening was even in place due to the cheapness of the mouse?

This is Disney doing the best they can with as little of inconvenience as possible.

Yes, it sucks you'll have to go thru security multiple times if your itenerary is structured that way, but I guess the alternative is better?

Focus on the positives. You'll be able to travel ALL the way to Italy at the World Showcase from GF, and only pass thru one security check.
Just once.

And soon, that will extend even farther.

Have a dinner at the new restaurant atop CBR DVC, that same trip is only one securiry check.

Maybe down to 50s Prime Time to get chewed on? Pottentially, that same single security check.

If you focus on the negatives, it will be negative.

Focus on how you will get off your monorail and walk into the Magic Kingdom, and you can see how this can be a huge plus.

GCTales

I spent 28 days in Turkey, by myself. I've been back 3 times since. I've been in the Mall of Istanbul, Kanyon, and the Palladium, I have never had to enter security once inside of my destination.
I definitely did not have to go thru security at my hotel.. not when staying in Taksim or the Sultanahmet.

I understand none of these had traffic going to the Magic Kingdom.. so not trying to do an apples to apples comparison, just responding to your post.

Would have to go back and check....was close to 7 yrs ago. Been there 5 times total.. Istanbul 3, incirlick 1, Ankara 2 - never felt unsafe ( well, there was the one time my Turkish driver got us lost.. And he said we we're in a bad neighborhood.. But you get that anywhere). Like Istanbul.

Not sure which mall it was. IIRC, as you said Palladium was full faculty, and I agree. I do remember a skating rink inside. Company wouldn't pay for me to stay in Taksim area.... Was there on business so was by the production / sub contractor facility... Near the tech university (can't remember name).

I think we both agree, in the Disney case- it is not securing whole hotel... Just transport point to park.

21stamps

Grand Californian has a security check leading into the park and into downtown Disney. (Downtown disney is now part of the "secure zone" in California.).
I haven't been to Disneyland since I was a young child. Admittedly I have no idea what the hotels and parks are like. Is it non imposing? I'm just trying to picture the set up.

21stamps

Would have to go back and check....was close to 7 yrs ago. Been there 5 times total.. Istanbul 3, incirlick 1, Ankara 2 - never felt unsafe ( well, there was the one time my Turkish driver got us lost.. And he said we we're in a bad neighborhood.. But you get that anywhere). Like Istanbul.

Not sure which mall it was. IIRC, as you said Palladium was full faculty, and I agree. I do remember a skating rink inside. Company wouldn't pay for me to stay in Taksim area.... Was there on business so was by the production / sub contractor facility... Near the tech university (can't remember name).

I think we both agree, in the Disney case- it is not securing whole hotel... Just transport point to park.
Ok well quick off subject remark - I actually prefer the Sultanhmet to Taksim. Turkey is one of my favorite places in the world..most of the country..in addition to Istanbul.. I love when I hear that people also enjoy traveling there!

I don't want Disney, or America, to become a place with armed guard standing on the side of the road with their huge machine guns. That's the only part of being in those countries that is a little odd..but understandable.
But, we are talking about Disney World Resorts here.. imposing security stations.. if they are at all similar (of course I know much smaller) to the TTC tent photos, is a direction that I would hate to see us go.

Disney-Trains

It's as imposing as it will be in florida. Metal detectors and bag check table just set up on a path that was never designed for such. It looks very temporary and very thrown together...

JoeCamel

It's as imposing as it will be in florida. Metal detectors and bag check table just set up on a path that was never designed for such. It looks very temporary and very thrown together...
Not exactly if done correctly. Courtesy Orlando Informer

dock.jpg

BTW, those are cushioned chairs and couches to sit on while you wait in the shade for the 5 - 10 minutes it takes for a boat to appear if it is not waiting for you. This is at a "value hotel"

Last edited:

GCTales

Comparing Turkey to WDW is apples and oranges. DLP to WDW is more accurate.

My point was that in the US we are used to a very low level of security.

The level of security that people in other countries experience as a normal course of their day at facilities is not really much different than what Disney is planning on doing, imo.

Just pointing out that we are, in general, very spoiled about security in our daily lives here in the US.

matt9112

My point was that in the US we are used to a very low level of security.

The level of security that people in other countries experience as a normal course of their day at facilities is not really much different than what Disney is planning on doing, imo.

Just pointing out that we are, in general, very spoiled about security in our daily lives here in the US.

Because we value freedom and individual space?
Something most country's long let die.

matt9112

At DLP, you had to go through metal detecters and put your bag through a scanner when entering the hotels even before the attacks of a few years ago. Obviously they already had some sense that the hotels themselves were potential targets. For whatever reason, that doesn't seem to be the case at WDW yet.

The world is a potential target get over it.

Sir_Cliff

The world is a potential target get over it.
Thanks for the tip. I'll mention that to the security guard next time I'm there and saunter on right past him or her with my backpack slung over my shoulder and a look of disdain on my face.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

The only place I could see it happening is before the dock. And only "screened" people will be able to sit on the dock. Does anyone have inside info on if it would be set up differently?
View attachment 194612
View attachment 194613
Edit- here's a better photo of where it seems it would need to be.
View attachment 194616
And here is where the launch pulls up at GF.. right next to the gazebo. Like in your photo...but no ramp. This is why I think IF it happens, then it would be next to Narcoossee's
View attachment 194617

I completely agree with the your first and last paragraph.
They could build what is needed? What are the chances of TDO springing for that. Seems tents are their thing.

peter11435

They could build what is needed? What are the chances of TDO springing for that. Seems tents are their thing.
I don't think they will be tents forever. Remember they used tents, umbrellas and temporary tables for a while after 9/11 before they installed permanent structures.

peter11435

They have yet to install permanent structures.

I'm not referring to the metal detector set up. I'm referring to the structures built in the mid 2000's for bag check. They may not be solid concrete but they are permanent structures themed to their environments.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom