Ferry dock remodel

Sir_Cliff

More people would be killed if someone entered any of the monorail resort lobbies, or restaurants, with a weapon, and chose to use the weapon, than the amount of people who would be killed if the same happened on a resort launch. Or even if someone used a weapon at any of the monorail platforms, before the check.
I have less issue with the monorail than I do with the idea of having security checkpoints on the resort docks.. but still,

Where does it end?
At DLP, you had to go through metal detecters and put your bag through a scanner when entering the hotels even before the attacks of a few years ago. Obviously they already had some sense that the hotels themselves were potential targets. For whatever reason, that doesn't seem to be the case at WDW yet.

21stamps

That's not what is ridiculous.

Of course. Let's install fear in every corner. Completely reasonable.
At DLP, you had to go through metal detecters and put your bag through a scanner when entering the hotels even before the attacks of a few years ago. Obviously they already had some sense that the hotels themselves were potential targets. For whatever reason, that doesn't seem to be the case at WDW yet.

I would feel better if that were the case. At least it would be somewhat logical.

I guess I'm just very confused. People here flip out over a sign or a color change, but now were talking about metal detectors on resort grounds, In front of small docks, in the middle of what's supposed to be a relaxing area... and that's Acceptable and a Welcome Change?

I will gladly be the odd ball out on this subject.
I'm hoping that it's a case of misinformation.. I can hope, right?lol

GCTales

I am assuming many of you have not done much overseas traveling outside the US...

In many countries is it not uncommon to have security checks when going in to malls, hotels, parking structures, etc.

In this case I think it will, overall and over the long term, improve flow from the on-site hotels into the parks...

Disney-Trains

It's a win-lose... I get it.. Security check at the hotel (monorail and dock) doesn't add to to feel of those resorts. But I can't stand how close the security check is to the actual entrance of Magic Kingdom, arriving at the entrance should be exciting. Instead it is congested, frustrating, And the opposite of magical in my book. Anything to make the actual approach to the park entrance more magical is a huge win in my eyes.

21stamps

I am assuming many of you have not done much overseas traveling outside the US...

In many countries is it not uncommon to have security checks when going in to malls, hotels, parking structures, etc.

In this case I think it will, overall and over the long term, improve flow from the on-site hotels into the parks...
"Going in to". You are exactly right-When entering a property. Not once already inside that property.

It's a win-lose... I get it.. Security check at the hotel (monorail and dock) doesn't add to to feel of those resorts. But I can't stand how close the security check is to the actual entrance of Magic Kingdom, arriving at the entrance should be exciting. Instead it is congested, frustrating, And the opposite of magical in my book. Anything to make the actual approach to the park entrance more magical is a huge win in my eyes.

I agree with you about the entrance, but a security station on the MK Poly/GF and FW/WL dock wouldn't have any impact on that experience.
They have 2 choices- search/scan on the resort docks, or when arrive on the MK docks- still away from the entrance, other people arriving by different modes of transport wouldn't even notice it, right? I'm just wondering why they would make the decision the way they did.

Sorry, I know I'm rambling. It just really doesn't make sense to me. They would choose to take their 2 most expensive resorts and install metal detectors within the resort. That's an awesome addition to the theme.
Eta- not saying it would be acceptable at any resort...just that these 2 charge a premium for a view that will now include a security tent, which even makes it that much more foolish imo.

Last edited:

peter11435

"Going in to". You are exactly right-When entering a property. Not once already inside that property.

I agree with you about the entrance, but a security station on the MK Poly/GF and FW/WL dock wouldn't have any impact on that experience.
They have 2 choices- search/scan on the resort docks, or when arrive on the MK docks- still away from the entrance, other people arriving by different modes of transport wouldn't even notice it, right? I'm just wondering why they would make the decision the way they did.

Sorry, I know I'm rambling. It just really doesn't make sense to me. They would choose to take their 2 most expensive resorts and install metal detectors within the resort. That's an awesome addition to the theme.
They're less concerned with two of their most expensive resort than they are they're busiest theme park in the world. Those resort docks outside the MK you speak of are dangerously close to the main entrance and large numbers of guests.

21stamps

They're less concerned with two of their most expensive resort than they are they're busiest theme park in the world. Those resort docks outside the MK you speak of are dangerously close to the main entrance and large numbers of guests.
What does that have to do with it? There's a simple solution that I've already stated. Twice. Put the security spot on the MK Poly/GF dock.

No one else is on that dock except for people arriving to the MK from these resorts..or leaving the MK to go to these resorts. It isn't several hundreds of people.

So the only time that we don't care about ruining a 'theme' is if that theme is Polynesia or Florida's Golden Age?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So the only time that we don't care about ruining a 'theme' is if that theme is Polynesia or Florida's Golden Age?
We don't know if the theme will be "ruined". No more than the DVC additions did at each resort anyway.

Done tastefully - as we know is possible - it may be no more unobtrusive as the guard shack and the automatic gate at the car park entrance.

peter11435

What does that have to do with it? There's a simple solution that I've already stated. Twice. Put the security spot on the MK Poly/GF dock.

No one else is on that dock except for people arriving to the MK from these resorts..or leaving the MK to go to these resorts. It isn't several hundreds of people.

Did you actually bother to read my post before you responded?

GCTales

I should have been clearer...

While those situations I identified make the facility the secure space.... If I understand correctly... Disney is pushing the security perimeter to a designated loading point within the hotel property.. So you have fewer people being processed.

I read the intent as you don't go through security to go to the hotel.. Just if you want to go to the parks.

My point was - plenty of places outside the US secure venue or parts of a venue. I have been to malls in Istanbul where a restaurant at the mall is NOT part of the secure zone... So if you park on the property... You go through security to get through to the parking deck... Exit to go to the restaurant... Re-enter to go into mall or parking.... After doing it twice, you don't really think about it.

There are other examples.. But I see it as a non issue and a bonus / benefit for the ability to do it at my on-sitehotel, where fewer are being processed vs part of the masses who drove n parked and a longer / larger queue.

Disney-Trains

well... How do we know the plan isn't to have security at the GF / Poly boat dock? That is possible. With the smaller boats that could work... But once you are setting up screening at all of the other resort docks and monorail stations maybe it's easy to just have it all the same?

GCTales

Btw - don't they do something similar at grand Californian at Disneyland? Never been.. But I understand if staying there, you can literally exit the hotel and be in the park via a gate on property?

I would assume they have a security check there and it is not an eyesore....

21stamps

I should have been clearer...

While those situations I identified make the facility the secure space.... If I understand correctly... Disney is pushing the security perimeter to a designated loading point within the hotel property.. So you have fewer people being processed.

I read the intent as you don't go through security to go to the hotel.. Just if you want to go to the parks.

My point was - plenty of places outside the US secure venue or parts of a venue. I have been to malls in Istanbul where a restaurant at the mall is NOT part of the secure zone... So if you park on the property... You go through security to get through to the parking deck... Exit to go to the restaurant... Re-enter to go into mall or parking.... After doing it twice, you don't really think about it.

There are other examples.. But I see it as a non issue and a bonus / benefit for the ability to do it at my on-sitehotel, where fewer are being processed vs part of the masses who drove n parked and a longer / larger queue.

I spent 28 days in Turkey, by myself. I've been back 3 times since. I've been in the Mall of Istanbul, Kanyon, and the Palladium, I have never had to enter security once inside of my destination.
I definitely did not have to go thru security at my hotel.. not when staying in Taksim or the Sultanahmet.

I understand none of these had traffic going to the Magic Kingdom.. so not trying to do an apples to apples comparison, just responding to your post.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I spent 28 days in Turkey, by myself. I've been back 3 times since. I've been in the Mall of Istanbul, Kanyon, and the Palladium, I have never had to enter security once inside of my destination.
I definitely did not have to go thru security at my hotel.. not when staying in Taksim or the Sultanahmet.

I understand none of these had traffic going to the Magic Kingdom.. so not trying to do an apples to apples comparison, just responding to your post.
Comparing Turkey to WDW is apples and oranges. DLP to WDW is more accurate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom