The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

StarWarsGirl

Okay, I could use some advice here...

I'm looking for a box to store some keepsakes. Mostly cards and such from my great grandmother (who passed when I was 14) and others. I'm looking for a nice box that I can store them in. I haven't had any luck and could use some ideas, keeping in mind that I'm not artistically inclined and don't want to spend a ton of money on this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Wrangler-Rick

Just Horsing Around…
Premium Member

I'm looking for a box to store some keepsakes. Mostly cards and such from my great grandmother (who passed when I was 14) and others. I'm looking for a nice box that I can store them in. I haven't had any luck and could use some ideas, keeping in mind that I'm not artistically inclined and don't want to spend a ton of money on this. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Hobby Lobby?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I could fill a whole chapter with various stories from different trips, but, I could never recreate a chronologically whole cohesive TR ;) about any one trip in particular...those trips were over 40 years ago, and I didn't take any notes...! :oops: :D

I'll share a quick story from one trip...
We were on a back road in Arizona coming from a side trip we had taken (to where I can't remember off the top of my head...? o_O) on our way heading back to No Cal, and pop noticed the temp gauge continuing to creep up to the point we finally had to pull over. Turns out the water pump was leakin' like a sieve, and there we were stranded on the side of the road in the Arizona dessert. And, the back road was so back road, I don't even remember seein' another vehicle the whole time we were stuck there. Pop couldn't even raise anybody in the vicinity on the CB. Fortunately, the previous year pop had purchased a Honda 90, that we took with us on all our subsequent trips, that we hauled on a bumper rack behind the camper. Pop had found a tiny town on the map that wasn't super far away, so we pulled the Honda down from the rack, pop strapped on a helmet, kick-started the Honda, and off he went to find help. He was gone for about 1.5 - 2 hours if remember correctly and we had no way of communicating with him. Not exactly the most un-stressful situation, but we all kept our cool, so to speak ;), even if it was one hot wait. He returned riding in a tow truck with the Honda sitting in the back. We were towed back to that town and my pop even helped the mechanic replace the pump. The replacement pump was bein' delivered from another town as we were bein' towed.
We were on the road again later that day. Just another little unexpected adventure, but that we were prepared for...for the most part...! ;) :)

BTW...
This is pretty much the exact setup we had regarding the Honda 90, but, our 90 was yellow... :)

1972-Honda-motorcycle-advertisement-HONDA-MINI-TRAIL-90.jpg

That was a great story and thank you. Your dad was very resourceful. And maps are so useful--I feel sad when some people I know don't use them anymore, and just rely on GPS or similar electronic type directions. There's nothing like a paper map, and if nothing else--they should at least keep them as a backup in a car. Electronic devices don't work everywhere. (I like to stare at maps and find new places, roads, etc. Fascinating--the only geek side I have in me. :geek:) And by the way--

Hubs and I drove out to a site in a mountain range in western MA last year. I had the route all mapped out and wrote down my directions, and brought my trusty paper map. He wasn't interested--just used his electronic directions from his phone, hooked into the car speaker (I forget what program it was.). Well guess what? On the way back home, the signal would not pick up in the mountains :rolleyes:, so I pulled out my trusty old fudd paper map (and my hand written directions) and we followed that, and took the correct turns out of there. Once we got on a main road away from the mountains, his signal turned on again at that point, and we went home following his method again.

Even if you hate paper maps, people, always have a PLAN "B"!!! ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I agree with @MySmallWorldof4 . Places like Michael's have some lovely boxes, and the merchandise keeps rotating, so take your time looking for just the right one. (You can look online, but I prefer looking in one of their stores, because sometimes things look different in person.)

You can also decorate a plain box or basket (either from Michael's or elsewhere), if you feel like trying that. I'm not all that artistic either, but sometimes just small embellishments added to a plain or printed background color can be really nice. Even a a complementary colored ribbon can make your box look special.

Aw heck, what do I know? Save yourself some time and ask our resident artistic expert, Figgy!!! :D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
3-D model of a sprawler about 2p, and then just a few minutes ago... :)

View attachment 193897
View attachment 193898

And, with that, it's time for me to head to the casa, and down a few brewskis...!!!! :joyfull: :hungry:
See y'all in a bit...!
Laterrrrrrr...!!! :)

Fess up--is that a "kit" you just put together?! :hilarious:

Kidding aside, that's really impressive and very fast work, too!!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
That was a great story and thank you. Your dad was very resourceful. And maps are so useful--I feel sad when some people I know don't use them anymore, and just rely on GPS or similar electronic type directions. There's nothing like a paper map, and if nothing else--they should at least keep them as a backup in a car. Electronic devices don't work everywhere. (I like to stare at maps and find new places, roads, etc. Fascinating--the only geek side I have in me. :geek:) And by the way--

Hubs and I drove out to a site in a mountain range in western MA last year. I had the route all mapped out and wrote down my directions, and brought my trusty paper map. He wasn't interested--just used his electronic directions from his phone, hooked into the car speaker (I forget what program it was.). Well guess what? On the way back home, the signal would not pick up in the mountains :rolleyes:, so I pulled out my trusty old fudd paper map (and my hand written directions) and we followed that, and took the correct turns out of there. Once we got on a main road away from the mountains, his signal turned on again at that point, and we went home following his method again.

Even if you hate paper maps, people, always have a PLAN "B"!!! ;)

That was a fun story that @donaldtoo shared. I too like maps. I have been known to look through our road Atlas from time to time, just looking at the maps. I'm not very good with puzzles but I am very good with maps and orientation. I once though of taking old maps and using them as wall paper or framing them in our spare bedroom. Ultimately I did not, as it seemed like too much work. But I guess you and I are both map geeks!:geek:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Safe travels, I hope you get sent home early.

Finally got out of there around 1:30. Walking to the train station was dicey with the snow and ice, but I made the train. Hubs picked me up at the station, but had a few minor skid-outs on the way down there to pick me up, even when he was driving very slowly. Most people out on the streets were just snowplow drivers and cops. Only lunatics like me who work in hospitals commute on a day like this! :p

Oh, I saw some incredible TV news footage of a giant tractor trailer that jack-knifed, doing a complete donut, on the Lenny Zakim Bridge (it's the widest bridge we have in Boston--10 lanes). It was a miracle that no cars were close enough to him when he spun out on the ice, because most people stayed off the road today. Whew! Later on, a passenger car flipped over on the Zakim--wasn't the safest day on the bridge . . . :cautious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
That was a fun story that @donaldtoo shared. I too like maps. I have been known to look through our road Atlas from time to time, just looking at the maps. I'm not very good with puzzles but I am very good with maps and orientation. I once though of taking old maps and using them as wall paper or framing them in our spare bedroom. Ultimately I did not, as it seemed like too much work. But I guess you and I are both map geeks!:geek:

Bless you! I knew we were kindred spirits!! :joyfull: :geek: :joyfull: :geek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom