Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's great queues are being addressed with such detail and storytelling. Do you have any insights as to the feedback of the Dumbo queue? I like the concept - anything is better than standing in one place waiting in line (I realize the irony that you need to wait in a line to avoid waiting in a line). Would they apply this type of 'buzzer-system-when-it's-your-turn-sorta-concept' to any of the new attractions? Here for SW or TSL or Pandora?
I'm surprised they don't do that with superheadliners with a gift shop. Star Wars would be the big one I could see working. Build a huge gift shop and showroom area attached to the ride and have a check in for the standby queue with the beepers. Instead of waiting the standby in line for 90 minutes you get beeped when it's your turn and they send you right to the pre-show area. Now you have fans literally stuck in the gift shop waiting to ride for an hour. They wouldn't be able to keep the shelves stocked and most people would still rather be browsing a gift shop then just standing in line.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Can you imagine how many beepers would be required for that?
No clue, but I can try to estimate:). Let's assume a ride capacity of 2,000 per hour for the ride but 60% of the guests ride with FP+ reservations. That leaves 800 guests an hour in the standby queue. I am also assuming that there would still be a 20 to 30 minute section of the queue after your beeper goes off that includes the pre-show. So even if you account for 2.5 hour standby lines (could be what we face with SWL) you have at most 1,600 guests waiting to be beeped at any given time. Like Dumbo it would be one beeper per party not per guest so assuming an average party size of 3 you need 534 beepers. Assuming a number of beepers would be damaged or in need of repair you would probably need 600 to 700 beepers at most. Assuming those things cost no more than $100 a piece bought in bulk you could install the whole system for less than $100K. That's peanuts when you are talking about having 1,000+ captive shoppers for 12 hours a day. The bigger challenge is having enough store space to hold alll those people.

A cheaper alternative would be to just setup a texting system. You arrive at the standby line and type in your cell phone number and number of guests in your party and they text you when it's time for you to go. They could still have backup pagers for guests with no phone or those who don't want to give in their number.

HauntedMansionFLA

No clue, but I can try to estimate:). Let's assume a ride capacity of 2,000 per hour for the ride but 60% of the guests ride with FP+ reservations. That leaves 800 guests an hour in the standby queue. I am also assuming that there would still be a 20 to 30 minute section of the queue after your beeper goes off that includes the pre-show. So even if you account for 2.5 hour standby lines (could be what we face with SWL) you have at most 1,600 guests waiting to be beeped at any given time. Like Dumbo it would be one beeper per party not per guest so assuming an average party size of 3 you need 534 beepers. Assuming a number of beepers would be damaged or in need of repair you would probably need 600 to 700 beepers at most. Assuming those things cost no more than $100 a piece bought in bulk you could install the whole system for less than $100K. That's peanuts when you are talking about having 1,000+ captive shoppers for 12 hours a day. The bigger challenge is having enough store space to hold alll those people.

A cheaper alternative would be to just setup a texting system. You arrive at the standby line and type in your cell phone number and number of guests in your party and they text you when it's time for you to go. They could still have backup pagers for guests with no phone or those who don't want to give in their number.
Will you miss the pre-show by using a FastPass???

Goofyernmost

There is just the remotest of possibilities that you might be over thinking this just a bit. It's OK though someone has to crunch the numbers. :bookworm::D:joyfull:

Unplugged

How many Guests already have the MyDisneyExperience App on their phones? Easy for Disney to have an automated solution that ties into FP+ and sends a notification to you via the app. No messy acquisition of numbers required, only Guests walking up to a "Check-in FP Kisosk" and a few LCDs providing queue status like the airport does for Upgrade Requests. Ensure your check in ID gets pushed to your app when you check-in, and since those are sequential IDs, the LCDs can show the current batch of pre-show queue numbers. Everything except the "Check-in Kiosk" is already in place and works the same.

IMHO, there must be a better way to handle it via the FP+ system than to FP++ the FP+ in the queue for the queue.

britain

Will both SWL be identical or is Disneyland getting different things compared to Disney World?

My understanding is the rides are identical, as well as the general land, except for where entrances in and out of the land differ.

Which brings up an interesting point: @marni1971 provided his nice sketch of how SWL will look at DHS, but he has the battle escape attraction behind an Imperial / First Order type symmetrical temple-like building. However the concept art for both WDW & DL have that temple off to the left (East at DL, West at DHS), whereas martin's sketch has it flipped. If blueprints for DL are the same as DHS, the battle escape building is in that spot, but it shouldn't have that temple facade. That temple is on the other end of the whole land.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My understanding is the rides are identical, as well as the general land, except for where entrances in and out of the land differ.

Which brings up an interesting point: @marni1971 provided his nice sketch of how SWL will look at DHS, but he has the battle escape attraction behind an Imperial / First Order type symmetrical temple-like building. However the concept art for both WDW & DL have that temple off to the left (East at DL, West at DHS), whereas martin's sketch has it flipped. If blueprints for DL are the same as DHS, the battle escape building is in that spot, but it shouldn't have that temple facade. That temple is on the other end of the whole land.
Maybe it was a bit of ambiguous artistic licence on my part ;)

In DHS Alcatraz is "left" or closer to MV3D. Big Bird is "right" or closer to World Drive.

Cesar R M

The picture was taken from here with a DSLR and a telephoto lens.
i-zg95R2H-M.png

See if you iPhone would do any better.

Cant really judge the quality with a tiny undersized 600 x 300 image.
21d.jpg

Cesar R M

I'm surprised they don't do that with superheadliners with a gift shop. Star Wars would be the big one I could see working. Build a huge gift shop and showroom area attached to the ride and have a check in for the standby queue with the beepers. Instead of waiting the standby in line for 90 minutes you get beeped when it's your turn and they send you right to the pre-show area. Now you have fans literally stuck in the gift shop waiting to ride for an hour. They wouldn't be able to keep the shelves stocked and most people would still rather be browsing a gift shop then just standing in line.
Beepers would probably get lost? I mean, not everyone who stays in line goes thru.. some get bored or leave for bathroom.
And having a store means people would buy stuff.. they would need lockers too.

britain

Maybe it was a bit of ambiguous artistic licence on my part ;)

In DHS Alcatraz is "left" or closer to MV3D. Big Bird is "right" or closer to World Drive.

What excites me about this is that we don't really have any idea what the facade is for battle escape. We don't know what the storyline set up is or any of that. We know from the video snippets that we end up on a First Order ship of some kind. That's all. We don't know if the attraction starts off with us walking into some First Order base, or if it's just more marketplace/village and we get captured and "shuttled up" to a star destroyer. So much of this is still wrapped in mystery... I love it!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What excites me about this is that we don't really have any idea what the facade is for battle escape. We don't know what the storyline set up is or any of that. We know from the video snippets that we end up on a First Order ship of some kind. That's all. We don't know if the attraction starts off with us walking into some First Order base, or if it's just more marketplace/village and we get captured and "shuttled up" to a star destroyer. So much of this is still wrapped in mystery... I love it!
I could tell you. But that might spoil it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Beepers would probably get lost? I mean, not everyone who stays in line goes thru.. some get bored or leave for bathroom.
And having a store means people would buy stuff.. they would need lockers too.
They do it with Dumbo. It works pretty well as far as I know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom