News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

ABQ

Is there any concern that WDW's lawyers would have a problem with gondolas running during the many FL thunderstorms? Obviously there will be the typical high volume of lightning rods atop any towers and I'm sure some sort of grounding system on the gondolas themselves, but the risk management legal team will probably be all fired up at the thought of just one gondola taking a lightning strike and all heck breaking loose.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Is there any concern that WDW's lawyers would have a problem with gondolas running during the many FL thunderstorms? Obviously there will be the typical high volume of lightning rods atop any towers and I'm sure some sort of grounding system on the gondolas themselves, but the risk management legal team will probably be all fired up at the thought of just one gondola taking a lightning strike and all heck breaking loose.

As has been discussed earlier in this thread, gondola run in some very harsh environments around the world and there are provision for dealing with lightning.

HauntedMansionFLA

Has this even been officially announced by Disney or just 113 pages of statements?

SomeInternetGuy

So are you saying this project will be completed in 2 years?

According to the expiration date on this permit, yes, it looks like it'll be ready before the end of 2019:

7Eh1lbMh.jpg

Last edited:

Touchdown

For everyone worried about lightning, provided that the gondola is enclosed you will not be electrocuted because the gondola is a Faraday cage. The Lightning will simply go around the outside of the gondola and not through you. Check out the concept on Wikipedia, it's also the reason you don't get electrocuted in cars or planes.

Lightning could cause the electrical systems running the ride to overload, but I suspect Disney will build it in such a way so that the system is protected from this.

Bandini

According to the expiration date on this permit, yes, it looks like it'll be ready before the end of 2019:

7Eh1lbMh.jpg
Thanks for providing a copy of the permit. However based on Disney's current construction pace, I can't believe this will be completed in 2019.

Couldn't this just be a Red Herring? It's an awfully inexpensive way to get the fans all hyped up about an upcoming project without even breaking ground.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom