Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

djkidkaz

I'm not about to start this debate so I'll post this and be done. The park down the road is getting some serious ride fatigue and it is beginning to show badly. Fallon is proving it and Fast and Furious won't help. Harry Potter can only do so much for you and Volcano Bay is not going to knock the socks off any major water park. A water park built without any berm right by the interstate. It's themeing lays with the volcano at the center but those neon colored ones are something of an amateur move. If universal wants to play with the big dogs they have to be able to bring the quality in all they do. Hotel rooms aren't going to make you a successful business. The truth of the matter is, Disney is better lined up for the next few years to take the medal in Orlando. Pandora is looking more and more impressive daily with an environment that looks as immersive as the boy wizard and his world. Star Wars will be a true powerhouse and projects like Toy Story, Great Mickey Ride (rumored), Epcot overhaul and such only boost this. Im not a pixie duster and my posting record proves that but I won't be blind to what is happening either. I don't like all that Disney is doing but they are doing stuff and they are proving some variety. At least I know everything coming isn't a giant screen.

Thank you for typing this, you saved me from having to do it. And I agree, Volcano Bay is nowhere near the theming level of the Disney water parks as you stated because of all those neon slides. Just throwing a thatched roof on top of a purple neon slide doesn't help. And as you stated, there is no berm, your right next to I-4. I can almost guarantee you will be able to see the highway as you come out into that big funnel.
IMG_4275.JPG

Mike S

Thank you for typing this, you saved me from having to do it. And I agree, Volcano Bay is nowhere near the theming level of the Disney water parks as you stated because of all those neon slides. Just throwing a thatched roof on top of a purple neon slide doesn't help. And as you stated, there is no berm, your right next to I-4. I can almost guarantee you will be able to see the highway as you come out into that big funnel.
View attachment 193666
It's still being put in because, you know, it's still under construction.
https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/841007285522571266?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

flyerjab

The Toy Story serving hatch.

Man, they really are refusing to put the money into this one.

Pandora, Star Wars no problem. Heck, even Disney Springs got a decent amount for what it is. And Epcot sounds like a lot of cash will be rolling in for that one.

Toy Story Land seems like the red-headed step child of the latest round of expansions/refurbs. What happened? Did Kathy Mangum p!$$ someone off?

lazyboy97o

Man, they really are refusing to put the money into this one.

Pandora, Star Wars no problem. Heck, even Disney Springs got a decent amount for what it is. And Epcot sounds like a lot of cash will be rolling in for that one.

Toy Story Land seems like the red-headed step child of the latest round of expansions/refurbs. What happened? Did Kathy Mangum p!$$ someone off?
An obscene amount of money is being spent on Toy Story Land. The problem is not the dollar amount.

flyerjab

An obscene amount of money is being spent on Toy Story Land. The problem is not the dollar amount.

So instead of doing what they did for Pandora - spending poorly by going way over budget (the partnership with Cameron and Lightstorm could have impacted that) - Chappie said too bad, no more overspending, and reigned it in?

raymusiccity

View attachment 193666
No problem. Volcanos can erupt and grow next to an Interstate anytime they want!

Slowjack

:(
I know it wouldn't fit with the theming of the land, but it's too bad that Disney won't build a legitimate Pizza Planet in Disney Springs or something. Not the Pizza Planet of DHS, but an actual restaurant with wall to wall arcade games and good pizza.
I always thought it was kind of funny that Disney ever had a restaurant called Pizza Planet, because I assume that the place in the movie is a riff on Chuck E. Cheese--fun places for children, but with terrible pizza.

Actually, now that I think about it, DisneyQuest was an advanced take on the idea, although I don't recall whether pizza was one of the offerings upstairs.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

So instead of doing what they did for Pandora - spending poorly by going way over budget (the partnership with Cameron and Lightstorm could have impacted that) - Chappie said too bad, no more overspending, and reigned it in?
Pandora is supposed to be something big and special. Despite the widespread delusion, Toy Story Land has never been something special. It is and always has been a roller coaster and flat ride. Nobody benefits from such poor spending.

sunsetblvd26

I really think this thread has blown way out of proportion lately the quality of Toy Story Land. It's being made out like Six Flags is renting space in the park and threw woody in the middle of it. No it's not going to be the next Pandora, but it was never supposed to be...while for the actual new attractions I would have preferred at least another dark ride somewhere in there, Toy Story Land really is not that bad.

Jones14

The mid 200 millions says otherwise.
You mentioned a while back that the Toy Story plans (post the newest concept art) were being looked at in an effort to bolster the offerings without letting the cost shoot back up. Is there any possibility that they're adding some theming back to the land/rides/etc. in lieu of making this an actual restaurant?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom