Expedition Everest effects status watch

garagely

I never thought I'd be looking back 10 years later and consider myself one of the lucky ones who actually saw A mode Yeti :/ I worked in the park at the time the attraction opened, so I got to see him quite a few times. I'm a big fan of animatronics, and that one was definitely the most amazing one I'd ever seen (at the time). It's disappointing and frustrating to go zooming by that static figure, but unfortunately most of the people I bring on the ride with me say they can't tell, or that they didn't even see him at all. I say frustrating because several years ago on a Disney cruise I was able to ask an Imagineer if it would ever be fixed, and he insisted that the Yeti "still had motion" and that it was just hard to see.
I hope the bird comes back at least, or that they turn the audio for it off. You can hear the sound effect for the bird from outside of the ride, even. Anyway.

Congratulations! You are the first person to ever make this assumption! Finally, after 10 years, someone made some sense and we can close this thread.

Well..I was there last August and rode EE for the first time...Saw no yeti at all.....Dude cockily sad it was too hot...He was the beach!....Oh well only waited almost decade to see him.

No need to shut ride for repair...Build a new functional yeti and swap them out over night.

Ralphlaw

No need to shut ride for repair...Build a new functional yeti and swap them out over night.

Not to go Mr. Spock on all this, but if it was so simple, there is no logical reason for it to be sitting like this. A simple fix of an integral part of a headline attraction would not be left limp for a decade if the fix was easy. Theories abound as to what is wrong, but no logical thinking person who considered the variables would ultimately conclude that the fix was easy.

Last edited:

G00fyDad

Not to go Mr. Spock on all this, but if it was so simple, there is no logical reason for it to be sitting like this. A simple fix of an integral part of a headline attraction would not be left limp for a decade if the fix was easy. Theories abound as to what is wrong, but no logical thinking person would assume that the fix was easy.

Of course the fix is not easy, or inexpensive. Disney will probably do this at a point when people actually care about it. Let me explain that by saying that we here on these forums and a handful of other rabid fans know that the Yeti even moved at one time. I'd say 90% (or better) of guests have no clue he ever moved and do not even notice him right now. They still enjoy the ride and until the Yeti starts to lessen the ride experience or it causes some other impairment on the ride itself then they are not likely to fix it.

Doug Means

Not to go Mr. Spock on all this, but if it was so simple, there is no logical reason for it to be sitting like this. A simple fix of an integral part of a headline attraction would not be left limp for a decade if the fix was easy. Theories abound as to what is wrong, but no logical thinking person would assume that the fix was easy.

i wonder what will be said IF when they do finally fix the problem, we all find out that it really was just an easy fix....oh boy that will be a fun read

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Not to go Mr. Spock on all this, but if it was so simple, there is no logical reason for it to be sitting like this. A simple fix of an integral part of a headline attraction would not be left limp for a decade if the fix was easy. Theories abound as to what is wrong, but no logical thinking person who considered the variables would ultimately conclude that the fix was easy.
The solution is easy...replace the Yeti. The implementation of said fix is not, nor is it cheep which odds are is the biggest problem.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The coaster is one with the mountain. For some reason, the imagineers designed it to be like that. The Yeti however, is not. That Yeti is, as Donald Trump once said, "Huge". In order to take out the Yeti, a big chunk of the ride would need to be taken out. Unfortunately It cant happen over night.
It is not. The track the mountain and the yeti are three separate systems that do not interact with each other. This has been stated in nearly every video that Disney has put out about the attraction's construction.

The Yeti has been fully removed at least once in a single evening.

Ralphlaw

Tbh I wouldn't really want Expedition Everest to be shut down for a few months just to repair a animatronic that you see for literally 2 seconds. A "blink or you'll miss it" sort of thing doesn't really need attention. The main star is not the yeti, the main star is the ride itself; as long as thats working, im perfectly fine.

If you saw it in A mode, you might not have that opinion. When EE was functioning fully, the whole pre-ride and ride led up to those 2 seconds. It was incredible. Immediately after it opened, many guests at WDW overall had it as their favorite ride anywhere. I assume very few feel as strongly now. On the contrary, it's pretty much on par with Big Thunder Bucket Railroad--a nice jostling experience, but probably not the big memory of your trip. Back then, it was. And we rode it over and over. My buddy went back the next day to AK just to ride it again--which meant at least an hour of travel time back and forth from the Beach Club, walking time, etc . . . Normally, given a week long trip, no more than a part of a day would be spent at AK. With A mode EE, we were paper fastpassing every chance we got, and he was returning to the park just to ride it again the next day. Is anyone doing that now? I doubt it.

Last edited:

Incomudro

If you saw it in A mode, you might not have that opinion. When EE was functioning fully, the whole pre-ride and ride led up to those 2 seconds. It was incredible. Immediately after it opened, many guests at WDW overall had it as their favorite ride anywhere. I assume very few feel as strongly now. On the contrary, it's pretty much on par with Big Thunder Bucket Railroad--a nice jostling experience, but probably not the big memory of your trip. Back then, it was. And we rode it over and over. My buddy went back the next day to AK just to ride it again.

I never got to experience it in A mode. Wish I did.
Not the big memory of one's trip however?
For my family, even with the Yeti in disco mode - EE has always been one of the biggest and best memories of our trip.
And while the coaster in general is little more than a runaway train, in application and theming it is so much more.

G00fyDad

It was absolutely incredible in A mode - even though it was only for a few seconds it totally enhanced the ride.

I agree but you have so many people getting off the ride completely satisfied that Disney is going to spend neither the time or money to fix something that most people do not realize is broken. I truly hope one day that Disney decides to go ahead and get this fixed.

Ralphlaw

how do i know what? is said IF, IF is such a big word. i was speculating on IF it is an easy fix, how funny it will be. people will lose their minds

Thanks for clarifying.

By the way, as I understand it, the sensors used to shut down EE frequently. A day rarely went by without some sensor alert closing the thing. If you stood in line for it 5 times, you were probably turned away or delayed at least once for a shutdown. We were.

I once heard that the yeti is indeed fully functional and "safe", but the ultra-sensitive sensors keep going off, thus shutting the thing down. Even if the yeti is separate from the track, a huge AA may indeed cause enough vibration to shut the thing down. We used to live 4 blocks from a printer, and sometimes the vibrations from the presses would caused clicking in our house with lampshades, mirrors and picture frames. That's 4 blocks, and the vibrations from the yeti are a heck of a lot closer to the track than that. The leading theory is that the yeti's base/foundation is not deep and/or strong enough to eliminate the vibrations that set off those sensors on the track.

Which then takes us to the best method for eliminating those vibrations, and the movable plate thing that causes the yeti's movement. Indeed, these have been discussed over and over, and I don't think anything definitive has been released for any of us to know for sure.

Either way, the disco light is a poor poor poor excuse for a replacement. Again, I and a dozen or so guys that I know could put a better band aid on it if given a week. With lights and projections, a darn good and scary replacement could have been in place for the past ten years. But no, we have Saturday Night Feeble instead. A faulty yeti is disappointing, but such is the risk with envelope-pushing innovation. Leaving a lame replacement in place for a decade is inexcusable. Stalin would have exiled those responsible: "Go and open Disneyland Yakutsk my idiotic comrade." But I digress.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom