News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

SLUSHIE

I do think they will need to keep a large open floor space on the gondolas for wheelchairs, strollers and ECVs which is something that ski resorts never have to deal with.

While its not very common, there absolutely are people in wheelchairs at ski resorts. I used to operate a gondola at a ski resort and once in a while we would have wheelchairs and strollers etc. The issue with ours is that it was older and was raised above the floor. It also only held 6 people. We would have to stop the lift and then the operator would have to lift up the front wheels of the wheelchair and 'wheelie' them in. The doors were just barely wide enough for most wheelchairs.

Here is a picture where you can kinda see what I'm talking about
http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/44/57/23/9630917/5/1024x1024.jpg

Newer gondolas are much bigger and have a floor even with the ground. Sometimes gondolas are also used to transport stuff used on the mountain like huge carts of food or other supplies, as well as big rolling trash bins and whatnot.

I added a picture of me (pretty sure that is me) putting the cabins away.

Attachments

• 536072_3755925344240_994173279_n.jpg
    536072_3755925344240_994173279_n.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 152

Skyman1971

They should cost a lot less, but this is Disney. Based on this post they may be a little bigger than 10-12.
Any idea what they'd call this? I have a feeling they'll try to give it a more unique name than WDW Gondola System.
i'd like to see a throwback to the old skyway in the name somewhere. I think Walt would appreciate that since he built the first gondola in the US

Disney-Trains

i'd like to see a throwback to the old skyway in the name somewhere. I think Walt would appreciate that since he built the first gondola in the US

This is the company that sells high priced submarine Merch 20 years after the ride last operated. I highly doubt they will miss the chance to market the nostalgia out of this. Perhaps each car can have a hidden Mickey created by the scraps of metal from the original skyway?

RobbinsDad

They may keep them just as backup or overflow. And to accommodate ECVs more easily. You never see a scooter on a NYC subway, it's sort of known that the buses are the way to go
I could still see buses running to Epcot/DHS from Pop/AoA (or just one of the two), but the direct gondola route from CBR with no transfers would seem to negate the need for buses. And I guarantee they will be ADA compliant, allowing for all mobility accommodations. Can you imagine the poopstorm that would follow if it didn't? As far as I know, the only transportation on resort that isn't wheelchair/ECV accessible is the seven seas resort boats (someone chime in if that's inaccurate). WDW may keep buses running from the gondola resorts to DHS/Epcot, but it won't be just because of disability accommodations.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I could still see buses running to Epcot/DHS from Pop/AoA (or just one of the two), but the direct gondola route from CBR with no transfers would seem to negate the need for buses. And I guarantee they will be ADA compliant, allowing for all mobility accommodations. Can you imagine the poopstorm that would follow if it didn't? As far as I know, the only transportation on resort that isn't wheelchair/ECV accessible is the seven seas resort boats (someone chime in if that's inaccurate). WDW may keep buses running from the gondola resorts to DHS/Epcot, but it won't be just because of disability accommodations.
I think all the buses to EPCOT/DHS will go at those resorts. It's the only way to justify the cost of the gondolas. For the monorail resorts you need to transfer monorails at TTC to get to EPCOT but they still don't run buses there so I would assume it would be the same for Pop/AoA even though there would be a transfer.

I know the boats for the EPCOT resorts that go between EPCOT and DHS are wheelchair accessible. The entry is flat to the dock so it's easy to roll on. There's limited room for ECVs and chairs in the back of the boats but it's available.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They may keep them just as backup or overflow. And to accommodate ECVs more easily. You never see a scooter on a NYC subway, it's sort of known that the buses are the way to go
Maybe, but I would think based on the models of gondola we are expecting it will be pretty easy to get on and off. Disney is pretty accommodating to guests with disabilities or special needs so I would be surprised if they were not included in this, especially since the gondolas will be quicker and easier than the buses are for scooters or wheelchairs.

jt04

I think all the buses to EPCOT/DHS will go at those resorts. It's the only way to justify the cost of the gondolas. For the monorail resorts you need to transfer monorails at TTC to get to EPCOT but they still don't run buses there so I would assume it would be the same for Pop/AoA even though there would be a transfer.

I know the boats for the EPCOT resorts that go between EPCOT and DHS are wheelchair accessible. The entry is flat to the dock so it's easy to roll on. There's limited room for ECVs and chairs in the back of the boats but it's available.

I have been thinking about the monorail more and would not be surprised if they built a spur to Tomorrowland on the Epcot line. If they pushed security out to envelop the Epcot monorail station it would make that route much more efficient.

That way they could keep the TTC as a means of getting guests from the parking lot to the main entrance of the MK as it is now. Wouldn't be cost prohibitive as it would pay for itself rather easily.

Last edited:

jt04

Everything inside the Reedy Creek Improvement District must also be built to the EPCOT Building Code, which has to be more restrictive than the Florida Building Code.

I am sure the are planning a shelter for the actual cars to be stored during severe weather. And the cable supports could easily be built to withstand any winds. The cables might get damaged but they are easily replaceable.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have been thinking about the monorail more and would not be surprised if they built a spur to Tomorrowland on the Epcot line. If they pushed security out to envelop the Epcot monorail station it would make that route much more efficient.

That way they could keep the TTC as a means of getting guests from the parking lot to the main entrance of the MK.
I'm not following this.

jt04

I'm not following this.

Sorry. I am suggesting the Epcot line terminate in Tomorrowland rather than the TTC. Would only require a mile or so of new track I guess. So you could board in Tomorrowland and be transported to future world and vice versa without security checks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sorry. I am suggesting the Epcot line terminate in Tomorrowland rather than the TTC. Would only require a mile or so of new track I guess. So you could board in Tomorrowland and be transported to future world and vice versa without security checks.
So the monorail resorts would no longer have access to the monorail to EPCOT? That's not going to work.

jt04

So the monorail resorts would no longer have access to the monorail to EPCOT? That's not going to work.

OK. As of now guests transfer at the TTC. But what if the new hotel they want to build at the Contemporary had a transfer point for the Epcot line. Same function in a different location.

Phroobar

They need to build the gondola system at Disneyland. It could go from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland. They could put some holes in the Matterhorn so the gondola can go through.

Even better make the gondolas look like Star Speeders and have them leave Tomorrowland for Star Wars land.

Disney-Trains

Why would they re reroute the monorail to bypass security? The plan last I heard was to screen all guests prior to boarding monorails and ferries. Sounds like that's the plan for the gondolas too.

As I mentioned earier... Disneyland just recently expanded the secure "bubble" to include both parks and all of downtown Disney. I'm pretty sure that's where we are headed in Florida, it's just going to take a lot more planning and infrustructure to accomplish it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have been thinking about the monorail more and would not be surprised if they built a spur to Tomorrowland on the Epcot line..
The monorail will not be extended in WDW.

Bold statement I know, but from recent conversations this won't change unless there is a wholesale change of management from Transportation all the way to Burbank.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom