News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Also you can definetely have a load point in the middle of the system. There are several examples of this around the world

Most areal systems are of the hub and spoke configurations. While you are correct there are examples of system which permit loading in the middle, because of the nature of such systems it tends to be inefficient leading to long waits escpecially if the system is busy. As for the building being built on the expansion pad it may serve the CBR, but given the size of the resort, it may problematic with guests being able to easily access it.

Creathir

I know that, but I haven't seen a PRT system based on cable cars. The PRT system you linked to uses electric cars on guided beamways, and while that's not exactly rail, it seems to present the same general profile as rail in terms of grade and curvature issues.

We don't know enough about this project (if it is indeed "a" project, and not several, unrelated projects) to say what it is, and there are definitely pieces missing, whatever it turns out to be. I'm just saying that we shouldn't say it generally suggests a transportation system and then try to guess what that system is, because I think it really only fits one system. The elbow building in the NW corner of the Caribbean Beach Resort, for example--there's no reason I can see to put that so far north and east in that section, if you would building anything with beams or guideways. It only makes sense if travel is constrained to straight-line segments.

Very true, the placement is suspect, but the size of the structure near DHS is enormous. Look at it compared to the monorail station at Epcot.

That is a very substantial structure for gondola loading/unloading.

peter11435

The plans show the scope of work involves only Martinique and Barbados. Beyond that is purely speculation.
Those plans are not blueprints or siteplans for the entire project. They only show what is relevant related to the modifications to the watershed. Don't assume that Aruba and Jamaica will remain the same just because they were not on those plans.

peter11435

Most areal systems are of the hub and spoke configurations. While you are correct there are examples of system which permit loading in the middle, because of the nature of such systems it tends to be inefficient leading to long waits escpecially if the system is busy. As for the building being built on the expansion pad it may serve the CBR, but given the size of the resort, it may problematic with guests being able to easily access it.
It would not decrease efficiency if the system uses detachable gondolas as it almost certainly would.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Those plans are not blueprints or siteplans for the entire project. They only show what is relevant related to the modifications to the watershed. Don't assume that Aruba and Jamaica will remain the same just because they were not on those plans.
Will the final plans for CBR include an increase in total resort capacity? I think it's obvious to everyone that WDW needs more hotel rooms and specifically more on the affordable side. It looks like in the plans so far they remove a bunch of existing rooms and replace with a taller building, possibly DVC related. If it's DVC that would be reducing the number of hotel rooms instead of increasing. If they replaced the rest of the resort rooms with similar taller buildings they could also increase hotel room capacity. The only issue would be having too many rooms in one place causing a transportation issue. Maybe this "system" solves some of the problem and with SW Land and possibly new additions to EPCOT shortly after it would directly connect to parks in high demand.

monothingie

Premium Member

Permits with site plans filed so far do not show any impact to those areas. Unless you are holding back on some insider knowledge your assessment is pure speculation. Just the same way I can say those are impact areas are going to be footers for monorail expansion.

TiggerDad

Will the final plans for CBR include an increase in total resort capacity? I think it's obvious to everyone that WDW needs more hotel rooms and specifically more on the affordable side. It looks like in the plans so far they remove a bunch of existing rooms and replace with a taller building, possibly DVC related. If it's DVC that would be reducing the number of hotel rooms instead of increasing. If they replaced the rest of the resort rooms with similar taller buildings they could also increase hotel room capacity. The only issue would be having too many rooms in one place causing a transportation issue. Maybe this "system" solves some of the problem and with SW Land and possibly new additions to EPCOT shortly after it would directly connect to parks in high demand.
What makes you think that newly built rooms with an aerial link to two resorts would fall into the "affordable" category?

peter11435

Permits with site plans filed so far do not show any impact to those areas. Unless you are holding back on some insider knowledge your assemssment is pure speculation. Just the same way I can say those are impact areas are going to be footers for monorail expansion.
Those permits you are referring to are not site plans and do not even show everything even within the areas covered. They are permits with SFWMD and represent modifications to the watershed only. They do not and are not meant to show everything that will be constructed or demolished in the area.

monothingie

Premium Member
It would not decrease efficiency if the system uses detachable gondolas as it almost certainly would.

Detachable Gondolas are standard fare. The tricky part is inserting and removing people in the middle. If my destination is at the middle stop but it isnt for others in the car we all must now stop at that point. Further I have a party of X waiting to board. There is no easy way to know which approaching car would have the capacity for my party. Hence the reason why most systems are Hub and spoke with no intermediary stop. It is simply easier and more efficient to implement.

Last edited:

monothingie

Premium Member
Those permits you are referring to are not site plans and do not even show everything even within the areas covered. They are permits with SFWMD and represent modifications to the watershed only. They do not and are not meant to show everything that will be constructed or demolished in the area.

The attached schematic shows modifications being made. They are also quite clear to show additional structures being added throughout the resort. There is nothing being added to the section in question. Even though presumably given the land type it would have an impact on soil and water management. Again if you know something, and you're comfortable to release it please feel free to share it. PM me if you want to tell me if you can or can not.

peter11435

The attached schematic shows modifications being made. They are also quite clear to show additional structures being added throughout the resort. There is nothing being added to the section in question. Even though presumably given the land type it would have an impact on soil and water management. Again if you know something, and you're comfortable to release it please feel free to share it. PM me if you want to tell me if you can or can not.
We will just have to wait and see...

WDW1974

Just was asked about this and I know they have had various plans for the area and transport was discussed in various forms.

I just would have a very hard time seeing the type of gondola transport as something Disney would build/utilize in this location. It just feels rather odd and doesn't do all that much to alleviate the current busmare. But I am totally out of the loop on this right now ... will ask around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom