Disney Jr. Refurb may be on the way

dmatt87

Does anybody have a possible timeframe for the closure? We are going with DS 4 at the end of May and it's something we were looking forward to. We even booked the character breakfast at Hollywood & Vine.

My son love Sofia, Doc and Jake - let's hope at least a few of those stay on.

Gezz

Do you have any ideas on the length of the refurb? We are going end of August, and this is something my girls were looking forward to.
Is there any chance it will be complete by then?
Thanks.

MySmallWorldof4

I still think Bear in the Big Blue House was the best. Two of my kids who are now 13 and 15 loved seeing Bear in real life. We had seen many of the new shows since I have 2 younger kids also, but the original with Bear was the best. I also think of all the shows they have put over the last bunch of years it was the best produced show and taught kids life lessons. We still have all the DVD's, although some may be scratched due to over anxious little hands.

ToTBellHop

Do you have any ideas on the length of the refurb? We are going end of August, and this is something my girls were looking forward to.
Is there any chance it will be complete by then?
Thanks.
It's far too early to speculate until we have a date narrowed down.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Problem is, as popular as PJ Masks is with the Pre-K set, I don't believe it's actually a Disney-produced show.

Shame... my kids love PJ Masks... they would have flipped out if that was included, but looking at their website, it would appear that you are correct... not Disney produced...

Ewizaboof

I'm sure it will strive to please the same audience, but I wouldn't hate it if they took the chance to add Disney Channel properties like Elena or Lion Guard or the new Tangled series.
It would probably bring a wider audience with Lion Guard and Tangled.
I personally watched the Bear and the Big Blue House show quite a bit despite being outside of the intended audience.

Gezz

It's far too early to speculate until we have a date narrowed down.
Ok, thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed! :)
Shame... my kids love PJ Masks... they would have flipped out if that was included, but looking at their website, it would appear that you are correct... not Disney produced...
Yea, PJ Masks is popular in our house too (along with Sofia, Doc, and Lion Guard at the moment) so I think it would be a good one to include if they could.

djkidkaz

Saw this show for the first time last night and I'm ok if it goes. They need stuff for kids but this is just "school gymnasium" quality.

I'm hoping they come up with a way to connect the end of Sunset to Animation to Toy Story so I can just walk the park in one big circle.

Magic Feather

@Magic Feather @MansionButler84 @marni1971 Is the refurbishment of Disney Jr. purely for updating the show? Or will they actually start to theme the facades of Animation Courtyard starting with this project? I would love for the sound stage showbuilding 'theme' to retire and it becomes more of an extension of the Art Deco Old Hollywood theming.
Of course it depends on what the long terms plans are for the area post-Launch Bay.
Expect a few, but very few, exterior changes during refurb. Overall, it will be the same, however.

ToTBellHop

Expect a few, but very few, exterior changes during refurb. Overall, it will be the same, however.
I'm not under the impression that they have made a final call on what they want to do with all of Animation Courtyard. The enormous Animation/Launch Bay plot, for example. You? I do understand Mermaid is still planned to change, though.

Magic Feather

I'm not under the impression that they have made a final call on what they want to do with all of Animation Courtyard. The enormous Animation/Launch Bay plot, for example. You? I do understand Mermaid is still planned to change, though.
AFAIK, LB has a few proposals, amd are being narrowed down. It should close in '19-'20, but one proposal would accelerate that timeline. DJ will remain DJ for the foreseeable future. LM has a plan to change, but it shouldn't until at least TSL is online.

wdrive

Interesting update from MiceChat about DCA's Disney Jr.

Disney Junior Drama
I began receiving messages from upset puppeteers at Disney Junior Live a few weeks ago. We hear from disgruntled cast members all the time. Sometimes there are real issues behind these messages, other times it’s just an individual who is unhappy with a supervisor or who thinks they’ve been treated unfairly. As the emails began to stack up in the Disney Junior case, it was clear that these employees had a real issue that needed to be addressed. However, when the employees sought a solution, Disney reacted by canceling the show all together.

I’m going to share one of the letters with you that I believe best describes the situation, the danger to the skilled cast, and Disney’s hostile reaction.

Hello, I am a puppeteer for the Walt Disney Company and currently perform in the Disney Jr Live on Stage show at Disney California Adventure. As I’m sure you already know, it has officially been announced that the show will be closing on April 9th of this year, but what you may not know is the backstory.

In March of 2015, due to continuing safety concerns with the show, the cast petitioned to join AGVA (American Guild of Variety Artists) which is the current union representing singers, stage dancers, and comedians throughout the resort. Since safety concerns of the Disney Junior cast were continually being overlooked, it was decided that we needed a union to support us. Upon petitioning to vote, the company immediately removed all cast members from all other roles in the resort that were not Disney Jr Live on Stage (many cast members worked in the character department and were also character hosts).

As a result, many of the cast went from working multiple shifts a week to no hours at all (most of the part timers received no hours at all). It is against the law for a company to retaliate against workers before a union vote. Any change from daily operations can be seen as retaliation from the company. Not only were cast members removed from their other roles, but management would also post a new ‘informational unionization flyer’ in the green room backstage with ‘information about unionizing.’ Many of the ‘facts’ presented on the flyers were false and/or misleading. When it came time to vote, the majority of the cast voted to unionize, so AGVA is currently representing us.

The union aided us in presenting our case to the National Labor Board. As a result of the affidavits of many puppeteers, the National Labor Board took immediate action and presented Disney with a cease and desist order. In December of 2015, rather than take the case to court, the Walt Disney Company signed a settlement agreement (almost a year after the petition to vote – meaning most of the puppeteers were not getting full time hours for a year). The settlement agreement is public record through the National Labor Board. The agreement stated that everything must go back to the way it was before the vote.

All puppeteers were also to receive back pay plus interest for all of the hours that they lost out on as a result. However, at this point, many of the puppeteers had already quit because they couldn’t afford to live. The settlement agreement was signed by the company in December of 2015 and it has still not been fulfilled over a year later. Many of the puppeteers are not getting the hours they used to receive and back pay has not been distributed. We have been in contract negotiations since 2015 – a slow moving process.

In December of 2016 we heard rumor from reliable sources that Disney planned on closing the show, and as a result the union confronted the company asking if the rumors were true. They admitted that they had plans on closing the show and would expedite letting the cast know (the company typically notifies a cast of show closing 1-2 weeks before the closing date- for example, Mad T Party). In December, they officially announced to the cast that the show would be closing on April 9th 2017. However, shortly after, it will be re-opening as another Disney Jr Live on Stage show. It is rumored that it will consist of video screens and possibly one live performer. However, the show will NOT have puppets.

We were originally told that the the Disney Jr Live on Stage shows in Florida and Paris would be closing as well, however, there is no longer a projected date for those shows closing and their casts have not heard anything about potentially closing either. The puppeteers have gone through hell for the past two years as a result of unionizing- many laws were broken by Disney and rules bent. Not exactly the Disney Magic we’re all used to hearing about. And with the show coming to an end and contract negotiations still not being finished, it’s time for the public to hear about this.

From http://micechat.com/152420-dca-photos-news-heartbreaker/

brb1006

Disney Junior Drama
I began receiving messages from upset puppeteers at Disney Junior Live a few weeks ago. We hear from disgruntled cast members all the time. Sometimes there are real issues behind these messages, other times it’s just an individual who is unhappy with a supervisor or who thinks they’ve been treated unfairly. As the emails began to stack up in the Disney Junior case, it was clear that these employees had a real issue that needed to be addressed. However, when the employees sought a solution, Disney reacted by canceling the show all together.

I’m going to share one of the letters with you that I believe best describes the situation, the danger to the skilled cast, and Disney’s hostile reaction.

Hello, I am a puppeteer for the Walt Disney Company and currently perform in the Disney Jr Live on Stage show at Disney California Adventure. As I’m sure you already know, it has officially been announced that the show will be closing on April 9th of this year, but what you may not know is the backstory.

In March of 2015, due to continuing safety concerns with the show, the cast petitioned to join AGVA (American Guild of Variety Artists) which is the current union representing singers, stage dancers, and comedians throughout the resort. Since safety concerns of the Disney Junior cast were continually being overlooked, it was decided that we needed a union to support us. Upon petitioning to vote, the company immediately removed all cast members from all other roles in the resort that were not Disney Jr Live on Stage (many cast members worked in the character department and were also character hosts).

As a result, many of the cast went from working multiple shifts a week to no hours at all (most of the part timers received no hours at all). It is against the law for a company to retaliate against workers before a union vote. Any change from daily operations can be seen as retaliation from the company. Not only were cast members removed from their other roles, but management would also post a new ‘informational unionization flyer’ in the green room backstage with ‘information about unionizing.’ Many of the ‘facts’ presented on the flyers were false and/or misleading. When it came time to vote, the majority of the cast voted to unionize, so AGVA is currently representing us.

The union aided us in presenting our case to the National Labor Board. As a result of the affidavits of many puppeteers, the National Labor Board took immediate action and presented Disney with a cease and desist order. In December of 2015, rather than take the case to court, the Walt Disney Company signed a settlement agreement (almost a year after the petition to vote – meaning most of the puppeteers were not getting full time hours for a year). The settlement agreement is public record through the National Labor Board. The agreement stated that everything must go back to the way it was before the vote.

All puppeteers were also to receive back pay plus interest for all of the hours that they lost out on as a result. However, at this point, many of the puppeteers had already quit because they couldn’t afford to live. The settlement agreement was signed by the company in December of 2015 and it has still not been fulfilled over a year later. Many of the puppeteers are not getting the hours they used to receive and back pay has not been distributed. We have been in contract negotiations since 2015 – a slow moving process.

In December of 2016 we heard rumor from reliable sources that Disney planned on closing the show, and as a result the union confronted the company asking if the rumors were true. They admitted that they had plans on closing the show and would expedite letting the cast know (the company typically notifies a cast of show closing 1-2 weeks before the closing date- for example, Mad T Party). In December, they officially announced to the cast that the show would be closing on April 9th 2017. However, shortly after, it will be re-opening as another Disney Jr Live on Stage show. It is rumored that it will consist of video screens and possibly one live performer. However, the show will NOT have puppets.

We were originally told that the the Disney Jr Live on Stage shows in Florida and Paris would be closing as well, however, there is no longer a projected date for those shows closing and their casts have not heard anything about potentially closing either. The puppeteers have gone through hell for the past two years as a result of unionizing- many laws were broken by Disney and rules bent. Not exactly the Disney Magic we’re all used to hearing about. And with the show coming to an end and contract negotiations still not being finished, it’s time for the public to hear about this.

Holy cow!

RSoxNo1

Disney Junior Drama

Interesting that MiceChat.com is down now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom