• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

Lucky

I think a lot of casual Disney fans may agree with you. As a local, I've had the opportunity to see IllumiNations a lot and there is no doubt that the middle section as the Earth Globe moves into position is considered 'boring' by lots of people and they just bail; I see it all the time. Many people I know who have seen it many, many times over the years have come to refer to that segment as the 'intermission'.

Most people who experience the show have no clue (or care) what the story arc is or what the symbolism of the evolution of the planet is; they just know they find that section very boring and many move on to do something else in the park. That doesn't make it a bad show but it does suggest that it may need some updating to keep today's audience more engaged the entire length of the show.
But just how far should Epcot go in accommodating the shallowness and stupidity of some of its guests?

This site started as an Illuminations site, and probably wouldn't exist if Epcot had just done an MK-style fireworks and characters show for kids with short attention spans.

SirLink

I still remember watching Wishes on the last night of my first College Program, trying as hard as I could not to cry my eyes out. I'll miss Wishes so much. I hope since they're keeping Once Upon a Time, Happily Ever After will still be mostly a fireworks show.

There was a proposal,don't know how far its gotten, but to get rid of Once Upon a Time and replace with a Mickey mouse heavily influenced projection show(5-7 minute show)then a 15 minute wait until Happily Ever After. The other alternative was to get rid of OU(a)T - as there was no perceived benefit and further wearing out those expensive projection light bulbs.

jrhwdw

It seems like OUAT is staying which is a good move since it just started and it's the best show yet except for the lack of TDL's pyro. Plus it could get even better if the lasers and the over 50 spotlights go in there as well. I read over 50 spotlights in the press release! where are they going put them all! OUAT has like 10 right now?

It specifically said in the video that they have a pyro department on this(unless they have them on every show...MRFF, OUAT, Let The Magic Begin?)and with OUAT staying, it could be a DL Forever!

MTBaymax

This was an official reply on the comments I read on the Blog just now.

"The team designed the show so it could be enjoyed from everywhere “Wishes” is currently seen today. While projections and other special effects will make the in-park experience unique, guests watching from Magic Kingdom resorts, watercraft on Seven Seas Lagoon, etc., will still see a full show of fireworks accompanied by a musical score."

So, yeah, basically a (hopeful) Disneyland Forever equivalent. It's just a waiting game to see if they'll match it pound for pound.

michmousefan

If you don't like "syrupy-sweet", then, I have to ask, what enjoyment do you get out of a trip to MK? I'm not saying everything at MK is cheesy or corny, or has to be, but a theme park that is built primarily around fairy tales and fantasy is going to have a certain element of that-especially one called Magic Kingdom. Given the level of cynicism and doom and gloom that seem to pervade every aspect of our lives in 2017, a bit of syrupy sweetness is just fine by me.
Totally agree with you about the 2017 levels of cynicism, and WDW in general is a great respite from that; I love just about everything else at the MK... it's specifically the kids singing that just seems like grating overkill to me; which really doesn't have anything to do with fantasy. ROE is by far my favorite nighttime show at WDW, but even the holiday tag with a similar kids choir of "Peace on Earth" also rings a little hollow to me. But the spectacular pyro redeems it regardless. Maybe it's more a grumpy "you kids get outta my yard!" response. I did acknowledge that I realize I'm a very tiny minority; most of my friends like Wishes just fine.

PiratesMansion

I'm personally hoping for the best. While I know many people are mourning the loss of Wishes, I am THRILLED that they are replacing it. Of course, it's all subjective: to many people, Wishes was a favorite. To me, Wishes was an outdated show that didn't hold a candle to Remember...Dreams Come True, Disney Dreams, Disneyland Forever, or even Magical.

Could it be lame and an unworthy successor? Certainly. Nothing is a sure thing until it's done. But I'm choosing to see this change as a positive until proven otherwise.

ColinDoesDisney

It looks like a Good Show But nowadays At Disney Just Seems like all shows have Projection Now And Its Kinda Boring Now Putting it all over but The Art looks good and The Show Should have water. :) And Wishes is Old And Boring anyways I Know Someday Disney Would Do This. All we need now is a Nighttime parade. :) But Very Excited :D :joyfull:

21stamps

If this is like Disney dreams with lots of castle pyro, plus the added benefit of large pyro behind the castle... it'll be a mega win for MK. Now hopefully this show will have enough pyro to be viewable from around the park.
I just can't imagine that it won't. What's a theme park view room price difference wise? $100-$200 per night or so.. the fireworks are one of the main draws for many people who book those rooms. Plus, I don't see Disney getting rid of the fireworks cruises.lol

mousehockey37

I just can't imagine that it won't. What's a theme park view room price difference wise? $100-$200 per night or so.. the fireworks are one of the main draws for many people who book those rooms. Plus, I don't see Disney getting rid of the fireworks cruises.lol

How does this have anything to do with if it's going to be visible from any other parts of the park?

mousehockey37

If this is like Disney dreams with lots of castle pyro, plus the added benefit of large pyro behind the castle... it'll be a mega win for MK. Now hopefully this show will have enough pyro to be viewable from around the park.

I take it that you're wondering if you'll be able to see things from Tomorrowland/Frontierland? If so, there's more than likely going to be portions of the show that you'll need to be in front of the castle. If they beef up the pyro behind the castle/on the castle, it'll be interesting to see where they let people watch this show from in the area behind the castle.

ToTBellHop

It looks like a Good Show But nowadays At Disney Just Seems like all shows have Projection Now And Its Kinda Boring Now Putting it all over but The Art looks good and The Show Should have water. :) And Wishes is Old And Boring anyways I Know Someday Disney Would Do This. All we need now is a Nighttime parade. :) But Very Excited :D :joyfull:
You play fast and loose with caps.

21stamps

How does this have anything to do with if it's going to be visible from any other parts of the park?
I don't know.. maybe because if you couldn't see fireworks from inside of the park, then how would you see them from across the Lagoon?
Again, I can't see the amount of fireworks, currently used, going away. We don't have too long to wait and find out though.

I have a long wait because I won't watch them online. :(. But, I'm excited for the new show!

mousehockey37

I don't know.. maybe because if you couldn't see fireworks from inside of the park, then how would you see them from across the Lagoon?
Again, I can't see the fireworks going away.

Evan-500, to me, is looking for pyro. Pyro in this case being things like the pinwheels and such on the castle (@Evan-500, correct me if I'm wrong here), and the question is, will things like that be visible from around the park itself, not the resorts near the park.

Not all of us want to watch things from our cabana at the resort that costs $100-200 a night more.

The fireworks themselves are not going away. Wow.

21stamps

This was an official reply on the comments I read on the Blog just now.

"The team designed the show so it could be enjoyed from everywhere “Wishes” is currently seen today. While projections and other special effects will make the in-park experience unique, guests watching from Magic Kingdom resorts, watercraft on Seven Seas Lagoon, etc., will
Evan-500, to me, is looking for pyro. Pyro in this case being things like the pinwheels and such on the castle (@Evan-500, correct me if I'm wrong here), and the question is, will things like that be visible from around the park itself, not the resorts near the park.

Not all of us want to watch things from our cabana at the resort that costs $100-200 a night more.

A good portion of this thread is people concerned about less fireworks. The post I quoted sounded like it was concerned.

I didn't see the post above yours until just now..just as I thought, viewing for this show would be pretty similar to viewing of Wishes.

I am not getting sucked in to a petty argument with you...regardless of what insults you attempt. It's not worth it. You're on ignore now.

Disney Analyst

I guess I am wondering how many dead portions they'll have that are projection only, making standing by Gastons tavern a boring viewing zone. Right now being back there is one of my favourite spots, but if they do a lot less large pyro then the only prime viewing will be in front of the castle, making crowding worse.

I guess my example is RDCT is an amazing show, one of the best (if you are infront of the castle)... but if you are not, it's a pretty crappy show.

mousehockey37

I guess I am wondering how many dead portions they'll have that are projection only, making standing by Gastons tavern a boring viewing zone. Right now being back there is one of my favourite spots, but if they do a lot less large pyro then the only prime viewing will be in front of the castle, making crowding worse.

This is exactly what I thought you meant. Not what others were delusional about. I agree, it is fun to watch the fireworks from behind the castle, but if they're going to have a big gap (like when they bring out the globe in Illuminations) that's going to make it kinda dull to be back there.

mousehockey37

A good portion of this thread is people concerned about less fireworks. The post I quoted sounded like it was concerned.

I didn't see the post above yours until just now..just as I thought, viewing for this show would be pretty similar to viewing of Wishes.

I am not getting sucked in to a petty argument with you...regardless of what insults you attempt. It's not worth it. You're on ignore now.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

21stamps

I guess my example is RDCT is an amazing show, one of the best (if you are infront of the castle)... but if you are not, it's a pretty crappy show.
From what the blog said, it doesn't sound like it. You miss certain effects now if you aren't right in front of the Castle. Yes, you'll miss projections, but it will still be a fireworks show with a full musical score.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom