• No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Not to mention the fact that the theme of IllumiNations fits Epcot's original message like a glove. A message that over the past few decades has been watered down and this close to being considered null and void by Management.

Very true. I should amend my rule list:

TDO/TWDC Rule #1: Cut costs.
TDO/TWDC Rule #2: Must include popular and current IP for merchandising synergy.
TDO/TWDC Rule #3: See Rules 1 and 2.

Typing Rule #2 made me throw up in my mouth a little... :hungover:

SpectroMan93

Very bittersweet to hear this. I saw Wishes for the first time 14 years ago in the 3rd grade and people in my generation have come to associate the Magic Kingdom with the show. On my trip last month, I saw Wishes for the first time in several years and it was a joy to get to sing along to the lyrics "Star light, star bright" again. It was also heartwarming to hear several people behind me sing along as well. Wishes has such a special place in so many people's hearts and was the perfect kiss goodnight to a day at the Magic Kingdom. I am incredibly excited for Happily Ever After, but it has some very big shoes to fill.

Ryan H. Serowinski

Looks like I'll be checking this out, cause my parents are DVC members and will see this from the top of Bay Lake, hoping Tangled will be among the animated classic represented in this speculator new fireworks show!(including new faves like Zootopia & Moana, and classics like Toy Story & Lion King), cause the other nighttime show doesn't have it(go ahead, make fun of me).

Donaldfan1934

My main issue with Illuminations is the globe. It takes up a huge chunk of the show and it's difficult to see. The projections are very dated compared to the castle projections. I'd rather see more fireworks compared to the globe sitting out in the middle of the water.

Personally, I've also seen it so many times that I'm ready for something fresh. One nice thing about going out to Disneyland is that every time I go, there's fresh nighttime entertainment. Whereas I go to WDW, and it's still the same nighttime show, minus a few upgrades, as when I was 5. One of many reasons why Epcot is my least favorite park.
I disagree with you on the fireworks. I feel the show has a very good mix of effects. As for the globe, it definitely needs to be updated, but the show itself is timeless. Don't get me wrong, if Disney came up with a replacement that was just as perfect, I'd be more than all on board for it. But in recent years, Disney has strayed too far from Walt's light for something like that to be considered a realistic possibility.

DisneyFans4Life

This looks pretty cool. We will definitely miss Wishes, but am all for something that is bigger and better; especially with all the new technology they have at their disposal.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Yes, I do. And I maintain: it's still boring and hard to see.

I think a lot of casual Disney fans may agree with you. As a local, I've had the opportunity to see IllumiNations a lot and there is no doubt that the middle section as the Earth Globe moves into position is considered 'boring' by lots of people and they just bail; I see it all the time. Many people I know who have seen it many, many times over the years have come to refer to that segment as the 'intermission'.

Most people who experience the show have no clue (or care) what the story arc is or what the symbolism of the evolution of the planet is; they just know they find that section very boring and many move on to do something else in the park. That doesn't make it a bad show but it does suggest that it may need some updating to keep today's audience more engaged the entire length of the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom