New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

DABIGCHEEZ

Really enjoyed my first experience of Rivers of Ligjt tonight. Visually beautiful with a wonderful musical score. Looking forward to more viewings in the coming weeks. Very different than anything else, and that's not a bad thing.

I have only seen one scope video of tonight, but it looks very well done. My question is... were the projections on the water screens clearer than the JB show? They looked pretty clear at some points and pretty bad at other points. So I am wondering if that was true or just a phone/video issue? Thx

dreamfinder912

I have only seen one scope video of tonight, but it looks very well done. My question is... were the projections on the water screens clearer than the JB show? They looked pretty clear at some points and pretty bad at other points. So I am wondering if that was true or just a phone/video issue? Thx

I had a hard time with the "backdrop" mist screen because I was WAY on the side, so it may be the angle of the camera? Much like fantasmic if you're between screens you're uh magically uhm...anyway the key seems to be in the little lotus pods. Those images are SHARP and there's always one close to you.

DABIGCHEEZ

Yeah I just viewed some another scope video clip and went through to see the projections and they were all really crisp... awesome. Show looks wonderful and finally something at the true level Disney is capable of delivering. Music sounds awesome too...Well done!

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member

One thing to keep in mind is that there are more projection screen surfaces in this show than just the large backdrop ones we saw in the temporary Jungle Book show last summer. If you are seeing video or stills you'll see what looks like lots of inconsistency in the projections but when you are there you realize that some areas are intended to be very obvious what the image with vibrant color and good contrast and other segments are much more backdrop and therefore much more subtle with subdued colors and less contrast. It's not something that shows up in photos or likely even video (haven't watched a video yet)

donsullivan

Premium Member
So, I read on twitter that Disney is blocking YT videos from tonight???? Nice Job TDO!!! Don't you have a Parade replacement to work on?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Park CM's were telling guests who asked that tonight's performance was an 'Invitation Only Preview'. Essentially only Passholders who got the band, FastPass and DVC were in attendance. Other than the bridge, the was no standby access to tonights show and it was totally full. They did not make any announcements restricting recording, just the usual no flash photography and a new one 'no laser lights' added into the list of forbidden activities.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
I didn't take many photos since I wanted to just enjoy the show for my first experience. Also needed to understand the cues and learn a little about what is happening where and when so I can be ready for a more thorough attempt next weekend during the official opening weekend. Nothing artistic at all here, just recording a wonderful experience

Here are a few shots I took focusing solely on the stained glass animals on the Asia side. It gives a sense of some of the color transitions they go through during the show.
D81_0515-Edit.jpg
D81_0512-Edit.jpg
D81_0523-Edit.jpg
D81_0524-Edit.jpg
D81_0575-Edit.jpg

One of the things that's really wonderful is in the early parts of the show before all the fountains start, the water was incredibly calm throughout the lagoon area of the show. The result is some spectacular reflections of the boats and other elements moving around the water. it works really well with the rich color palette on everything.

Last edited:

prfctlyximprct

I didn't take many photos since I wanted to just enjoy the show for my first experience. Also needed to understand the queues and learn a little about what is happening where and when so I can be ready for a more thorough attempt next weekend during the official opening weekend.

Here are a few shots I took focusing solely on the stained glass animals on the Asia side. It gives a sense of some of the color transitions they go through during the show. View attachment 188936View attachment 188937 View attachment 188938View attachment 188939 View attachment 188942

One of the things that's really wonderful is in the early parts of the show before all the fountains start, the water was incredibly calm throughout the lagoon area of the show. The result is some spectacular reflections of the boats and other elements moving around the water. it works really well with the rich color palette on everything.

Omg thank you. Those are so beautiful!

RSD Part Deux

We just came from the show. It's was ok. Seemed to be a lot of hype and no big pay off. It barely ran 15 mins and was very repetitious. We were told to enter at 6:30p for a 7:15p show. Which we did. It was a lot of work and effort that didn't seem worth it. It was nice to see and glad we did. I wouldnt go back to see to again.

Magic Feather

FWiW, there was a positioning malfunction with the show today, although, practically no one noticed. Both boats got wet, Warer via the screen, and Fire via the Whale water jets. Overall, it is an amazing show. A nighttime spectacular... very close. It really is an "acquired taste" type thing, I will say. I even heard one guy say he wanted the Jungle Book show back. It seems to have a net positive view, but not an overwhelmingly positive one.

Rteetz

FWiW, there was a positioning malfunction with the show today, although, practically no one noticed. Both boats got wet, Warer via the screen, and Fire via the Whale water jets. Overall, it is an amazing show. A nighttime spectacular... very close. It really is an "acquired taste" type thing, I will say. I even heard one guy say he wanted the Jungle Book show back. It seems to have a net positive view, but not an overwhelmingly positive one.
Yep, everyone seems to think the show fits perfectly in AK and it's good but most don't think it is illuminations type caliber.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom