• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters

Raineman

I want to preface my statement by saying that I really do hope the new show is great, but having a new show at the expense of Wishes does not really sit well with me right now. I'm sure many of the people who are happy for this change have probably seen Wishes more times than they can count, but for those of us who have only had the opportunity to see it a handful of times, it kinda sucks hearing that it is leaving, especially since our next trip isn't until October, when Wishes will be long gone. Wishes evoked such an emotional response from alot of people, myself included (my eyes start getting sweaty when I hear "Star light, star bright"), and I just hope that the new show will do the same.

flyerjab

This show appears to be originating out of Orlando. There are elements of WDI involved, but the leads on the show are from WDW Creative Entertainment.

It will be interesting to see the amount of screen/lighting vs. pyro. I wonder if the feedback for Jingle Bell Jingle Bam would impact their decision regarding use of pyro or lack there of. It seemed to me anyway that JBJB did not receive a lot of positive feedback, and that was a projection heavy show with little pyro. Hopefully that taught them a lesson. There needs to be huge pyro displays, and one of them should definitely be in their flagship park in Orlando.

G8rchamps

Life long park fan and DS12, DD9 have grown up in the parks. Have seen Wishes from perfect view hub, while on Dumbo (where it used to be), during dinner at CRT, Tomorrowland ( and TL bridge), fastpass hub... you get the point.

I knew this day was coming.

I may have just watched wishes on youtube and shed 1 small tear.

CJR

Excited for the new show! I'm curious if they'll also pump out new Halloween and Christmas versions or if they'll continue to use the current shows.

Donaldfan1934

It's 17 years old. Even more overdue for a major overhaul. It's hard to see the projections on the globe. It definitely needs an update.
While what you just said may be true, the main reason people don't want to see IllumiNations go is because we KNOW modern Disney would not handle a show like that anywhere near as tastefully as they did back in 1999. In all likelihood, the new show would become "Disney Friends Around the World". With the company being in the state of mind that it's in, it would be best for them to just keep the current show while updating the tech.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Yeah, it's old so it must be replaced even if nothing Disney has done before or since has surpassed it.
It looks very dated compared to what Disney does in DL. Heck, it looks dated compared to Wishes. Considering what they are able to do, there's no reason that they couldn't do a new show at Epcot that far surpasses Illuminations.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
This is pretty exciting for me. As many (hundreds of) times as I've seen Wishes I've been hoping for a new show to replace it for a long time now.

carolina_yankee

Will Wishes end one day and this debut the next, or will there be down time? Gong with friends who are massive Wishes fan and are quite upset. They will be there 4/29 - 5/4. Personally, I'm happy for something new!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There have only ever been 3 shots in WDW that have used air launch, and that was the opening 3 shots of Reflections of Earth. That came to an end after 10years or so due to cost and other issues. Since then it has reverted to a regular black powder launch.

Everything at the MK and Studios has always been black powder.

It was used at DL due to close proximity to built up areas. Less pollution and more accuracy.
ROE ALF returned last year (think it was) when the chip supply issue was fixed.

StarWarsGirl

While what you just said may be true, the main reason people don't want to see illuminations go is because we KNOW modern Disney would not handle a show like that anywhere near as tastefully as they did in 1999. In all likelihood, the new show would become "Disney Friends Around the World". With the company being in the state of mind that it's in, it would be best for them to just keep the current show while updating the tech.
My main issue with Illuminations is the globe. It takes up a huge chunk of the show and it's difficult to see. The projections are very dated compared to the castle projections. I'd rather see more fireworks compared to the globe sitting out in the middle of the water.

Personally, I've also seen it so many times that I'm ready for something fresh. One nice thing about going out to Disneyland is that every time I go, there's fresh nighttime entertainment. Whereas I go to WDW, and it's still the same nighttime show, minus a few upgrades, as when I was 5. One of many reasons why Epcot is my least favorite park.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Will Wishes end one day and this debut the next, or will there be down time? Gong with friends who are massive Wishes fan and are quite upset. They will be there 4/29 - 5/4. Personally, I'm happy for something new!

Yes, it looks like Wishes! last performance will be May 11, 2017.

Expect merchandise and cupcakes to "celebrate" the occasion.

HMF

Bwahahahahaha!!!! Oh, sorry, you were being serious. Why wouldn't any replacement surpass what it is replacing?

TDO/TWDC Rule #1: Cut costs.
TDO/TWDC Rule #2: See Rule #1.
Not to mention the fact that the theme of IllumiNations fits Epcot's original message like a glove. A message that over the past few decades has been watered down and this close to being considered null and void by Management.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
My main issue with Illuminations is the globe. It takes up a huge chunk of the show and it's difficult to see. The projections are very dated compared to the castle projections. I'd rather see more fireworks compared to the globe sitting out in the middle of the water.

Personally, I've also seen it so many times that I'm ready for something fresh. One nice thing about going out to Disneyland is that every time I go, there's fresh nighttime entertainment. Whereas I go to WDW, and it's still the same nighttime show, minus a few upgrades, as when I was 5. One of many reasons why Epcot is my least favorite park.
I'm with you on Illuminations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom