Soarin' Expansion and new Soarin' Around the World film

DznyRktekt

I think the next version should be Soarin' over America, since there wasn't much of it in Soarin' around the World. There certainly are plenty of great places to film outside of California.
There is a version of this called "Fly over America" located in the Mall of America in the Twin Cities. Recently rode it and went in with modest expectations and was not disappointed. Of course not Disney, but it is a very nicely done attraction other than the cheezy preshow.

Here is a trailer for the attraction:

I believe there is also a Canadian version over Vancouver and Banff.

Last edited:

azox

For us, the curve was really noticeable on the Eifel Tower scene. Overall, the new version has tall, thin features that really exaggerate the curve when looked at from the side. The old version, not so much. Everything seemed more horizontal, and thus not as curvy in the old version.

With Europa park putting something similar in, I wonder if their Eifel tower will have the same problem :

Ralphlaw

I wish each scene was longer, that the whole ride was longer, and that they would switch around to different places ala Star Tours. Someday it will do that perhaps, but I like the new version very much. I also liked the old version with its focus on nature, but they both have their plusses. I wish the smells were a little more pronounced, but other than a pungent elephant smell, what could be added?

Here's a fun survey:

What's your favorite scene?

For me, it was probably Greenland even though doctoring/computer graphics obviously occurred. Chime in everyone.

lazyboy97o

There is a version of this called "Fly over America" located in the Mall of America in the Twin Cities. Recently rode it and went in with modest expectations and was not disappointed. Of course not Disney, but it is a very nicely done attraction other than the cheezy preshow.

Here is a trailer for the attraction:

I believe there is also a Canadian version over Vancouver and Banff.

Rick Rothschild, who worked on the film for Soarin' Over California, was involved with FlyOver Canada and FlyOver America.

HMF

I still say Soarin' Around the World should have been the version at Epcot when it opened . The current set-up with DCA sharing the film makes even less sense than Soarin' Over California did playing in Epcot. Each Park should have it's own unique Soarin' film that fit's that parks theme.

Last edited:

TimeTrip

I have to say that Soarin (in either form) from middle to edge A3 or C3 is just an awful experience. I can't believe they allow that kind of experience to be experienced by a guest. I always request B1, but feel bad for those who don't know better and wind up around the edges of view. Always felt very unDisney to me.

lazyboy97o

I have to say that Soarin (in either form) from middle to edge A3 or C3 is just an awful experience. I can't believe they allow that kind of experience to be experienced by a guest. I always request B1, but feel bad for those who don't know better and wind up around the edges of view. Always felt very unDisney to me.
If you look at Flight of Passage or the newer Brogent i-Rides (Project V, FlyOver America), you'll notice that the benches are not parallel like on Soarin'. Instead the seats are angled to better position more of the riders.

DDLand

I enjoyed the new Soarin', but yes, the old one was far superior.

Part of my frustration stems from the fact this should have been perfect. The original Soarin' was a first. This is merely the successor. They should not have made amateurish mistakes because they had years to get it right. They also had the advantage of having the actual theatre to test with. Isn't it possible to project a picture of the Eiffel Tower and other test images with the digital projector before they included that segment? Seems reasonable.

It all together seems less elegant and less captivating. The transitions are jarring and distracting. The golf ball was a fun little diversion, but they played up those sorts of transitions considerably. Now it's beautiful imagery BAM, more beautiful imagery BAM. It distracts. The obsession with telling some story with the transitions shouldn't have been a priority either. Going from the Arctic to thousands of miles away is never going to make sense. The musical flow and captivating imagery were enough before, that's what united the differing vignettes.

I may be in the minority there.

The CGI is well discussed and varies from cool to a travesty.

Lastly the music is less memorable. The only original part that really stuck out to me was the Great Wall section. The opening, Waterfall, and closing are all excellent because they pretty much just copied the original.

They had 15 years to get it right. Some of the mediocrity is really strange.

surfsupdon

Swooping down above the river in the original is one of my favorite parts, along with following the riders over the desert. Both made me feel like I was actually there, gliding above them.

I'd agree and I would add the flying over the surfers of Malibu as an amazing scene.

I always thought the surfers were real.....are you telling me that the surfers were CGI in the original??

TimeTrip

I'd agree and I would add the flying over the surfers of Malibu as an amazing scene.

I always thought the surfers were real.....are you telling me that the surfers were CGI in the original??
I'm pretty sure the surfers in the original are real. IMO it reflects the extra effort it takes to make the shot right... rather than the less-effort SOTW where they get a good shot and stick people/animals/objects in later.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
With Europa park putting something similar in, I wonder if their Eifel tower will have the same problem

Anytime you project a straight line onto a curved surface it will appear curved unless you are looking at it head on. If you don't believe me, take a soup bowl and draw a line (in dry erase marker) across the diameter of the bowl. Hold the bowl up and look at it head on. Now move your head (or the bowl) so your no longer looking at it straight on and BAM, once you get off of center it begins to curve. I believe I had heard once that when they were building the miniatures to film Back to the Future: the Ride, they were conscious of this issue and purposely didn't build anything with straight lines or right angles just so the effect wouldn't be as noticeable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom