Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

21stamps

Guests today, by and large, consider Epcot - with particular emphasis on World Showcase - to be too light on rideable attractions. The general consensus among the kind of guest you'll find on a Disney Forum is that more rides rather than fewer is basically a good thing, since we are the kind of people who like rides more than the average guest.

The divide comes from what kind of attraction we think is suitable for that area of the park - the average guest is fine with Frozen in Norway, as evidenced by its popularity, whereas Forum members tend to want the theme held to the standard of realism that World Showcase was developed on and maintained healthily for the majority of its lifespan.

If you're wondering where things like support for Ratatouille within World Showcase on this board is coming from, despite its seeming similarity to Frozen as an animated IP "invading" World Showcase, I suspect that it is largely coming from a place of compromise. If 'toons are coming to the showcase, at least Ratatouille is one whose film centered around Showcasing a major cultural contribution of one country to the World. It is a film about a character exploring France, the French, and French Cuisine.

Frozen is a story about characters using their sisterly bond to break a magic spell, which is set in a fictional country that mirrors but does not replicate a real-world location. They do not explore Norway or Norwegian culture, and neither does the (admittedly cute) ride.

I completely understand that, and it makes sense to me.
Claiming that it's an academic debate does not.
That was my point.
I like WS as it is, I'd also like it with more rides. I'm not a "everything has to be as it was when it opened" type of Disney fan. I'd also like to ride FEA someday when I can get a FP for it, I won't wait 90+ minutes so we skipped it.

yensidtlaw1969

That was my point.
I like WS as it is, I'd also like it with more rides. I'm not a "everything has to be as it was when it opened" type of Disney fan. I'd also like to ride FEA someday when I can get a FP for it, I won't wait 90+ minutes so we skipped it.
I'm not sure where anyone claimed the debate to be academic, so I can't help you there.

I think it's less about everything being as it was on opening day and more about Disney continuing to follow the rules it created. I can speak at least from my own perspective when I say that I am completely open to positive change, but that change for the sake of change is often not that. I feel personally that there's a way to design great, compelling rides for World Showcase that don't delve into the animated canon, but if they're going to then at least I want them to choose animated features that speak to the ongoing mission of World Showcase - showcasing the nations of the world.

doctornick

Original Poster
Hopefully Brazil would offer another much needed quality Showcase attraction. There's already enough places to eat and drink.

I know you can't/won't say but some folks have hinted that a new country in Epcot is a possibility to be in the works and the plans for a Brazil pavilion were relatively recent in their conception. I'm taking a stab that if a new country is built that Brazil would be the most likely choice -- which makes sense on many levels, including that it brings a new continent to the WS, would offer some different food options, might drum up some enthusiasm among guests from that country (which has apparently seen a fall off of folks going to WDW) and hopefully it would include a ride as well.

lazyboy97o

I know you can't/won't say but some folks have hinted that a new country in Epcot is a possibility to be in the works and the plans for a Brazil pavilion were relatively recent in their conception. I'm taking a stab that if a new country is built that Brazil would be the most likely choice -- which makes sense on many levels, including that it brings a new continent to the WS, would offer some different food options, might drum up some enthusiasm among guests from that country (which has apparently seen a fall off of folks going to WDW) and hopefully it would include a ride as well.
Brazil was rather recent including Embraer as a sponsor, not exactly a company that would have been selling much from such a deal.

Princess Leia

That was my point.
Ok, this is how I see the ride discussion: Epcot needs more rides. Like, actual new attractions, not replacements. A new pavilion would have to have both street performances and a people-eating ride. Believe me, I plan on going to every single street performance when I go to Epcot this fall, but I wish (and have always wished) that there were more rides on that side of the park. I hope that whatever country is eventually added has a decent and respectful ride, in addition to some great musical performances.

jt04

Someone said there are no plans for Austrailia in DAK. And that makes sense in every way if they are not adding any more major animal exhibits.

However it is perfect for WS I think. And Jim Hill once had some cool concept art.

doctornick

Original Poster
Then I guess this is just a matter of perspective and outlook. I don't care if they put rides and characters all over Animal Kingdom and Epcot, they still won't be Magic Kingdom to me. I see the differences.

This is what I always come down to. I understand people not wanting IPs or even more specifically not wanting IPs that "don't fit" the environment. That makes sense.

What I don't get is the constant argument that adding a few IP rides here and there would make Epcot "like a second MK" or whatever people constantly say. For starters, MK isn't entirely or even mostly about IP attractions. Secondly, the basic setup of MK with it's multiple lands focused on general thematic tropes is vastly different from Epcot's two halves with pavilions -- adding a few rides here and there with IP isn't going to make the two parks remotely similar.

I can see the argument more in regards to DHS, but even there they are using a different prospective of single IP lands that engross you in the environment versus a more general area featuring loosely related attractions. To me, I think that all the parks continue to provide very distinct experiences from each other, even if those experiences are being further driven by IP.

And as I always point out -- TDS is probably the most similar park to a castle park in execution and people seem to have absolutely no problem with the similarity to TDL. In fact, people on these pages endlessly praise TDS as a fantastic park.

doctornick

Original Poster
Ok, this is how I see the ride discussion: Epcot needs more rides. Like, actual new attractions, not replacements. A new pavilion would have to have both street performances and a people-eating ride. Believe me, I plan on going to every single street performance when I go to Epcot this fall, but I wish (and have always wished) that there were more rides on that side of the park. I hope that whatever country is eventually added has a decent and respectful ride, in addition to some great musical performances.

They specifically need rides on the Canada to Japan half to help spread out crowds. France is actually a good location in that regards.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Someone said there are no plans for Austrailia in DAK. And that makes sense in every way if they are not adding any more major animal exhibits.

However it is perfect for WS I think. And Jim Hill once had some cool concept art.
There are no plans for Australia in WS. They dropped out circa 1978.

Perhaps you're thinking of the fan made go fund me version of a few years ago.

jt04

It can be used, just with precaution. Due to the proximity to the marina and the explosives in that area it would have to be blast proof, as it were, and internal in the correct places (like Mexico) as opposed to say the UK.

This has caused issue with past plans but may be able to be fixed for future plans.

Simply get rid of the earth globe and it's associated costs which must be substantial. Clear the deck and place drones on board. Then you have the scale the show deserves.

doctornick

Original Poster
Theme is not just setting and aesthetics. World Showcase, and really the whole of EPCOT Center, is about man's achievements. Disney's Animal Kingdom is about how man lives with and should appreciate the non-human wonders of the world. They are two completely different subjects that would not be overlapped if there was more than just shallow setting and slightly matched franchises. There is and always was to be georgraphic and political overlap between the two and it worked because they had very different purposes.

Absolutely. You could easily have an Australian section at both Epcot (representing the man-made culture) and DAK (representing the distinct wildlife and nature). It would be reasonable or possible, I think, to name a section at DAK as "Oceania" as opposed to Australia if they wanted it to more generic a name like Africa and Asia (since Australia is the name of a specific country)

Edit:
In Australia's case I could easily see how it would work in both. Epcot gets an area resembling Sydney or whatever and Animal Kingdom gets the Outback.
D'oh -- what he said

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom