A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Katie G

When Walt called IASW an "E", it was one of the most technically advanced attractions on the planet. Same with The Enchanted Tiki Room.

And sorry @Katie G, but it appears to me that you are the one with the double standard. You talk up stuff at Disney like the 3rd track at TSMM and the 3rd Soarin' theater like they are actual attractions in and of themselves. Then you diss Kong.

And yet I bet Frozen Ever After filled your heart with glee.

ooooo snark.... fear the snark :rolleyes:

If you go back to my original post, I listed both TSMM, Soarin, and Kong among other rides/attractions. All I said was that both parks were adding/building things. I made no ranking of which was better or more impressive. I also praised Kong for its theming a queue but said the ride itself did not entertain me.

It seems my point was lost on you regarding double standard. It has nothing to do with ranking new A&E or trying to define who does it better. Just pointing out that no reaction to UO vs. outrage to Dis seemed odd.

For the record, I have yet to ride FEA since I won't wait that long for any ride. I will ride it eventually I'm sure and I can let you know what I think.

Katie G

Local here too but when I buy an annual pass for 2016, I consider it a ticket to what is open and running in 2016 - not an investment in Disney's future development.

We may have to agree to disagree but in my opinion, tickets are for guests to enjoy what's actually there for them to do and stocks are for investors to buy into the future.

In most of the free world, for most products, prices go up (beyond inflation) AFTER you have added value - not before and not just because you've announced that there will be more value some day (after prices have gone up a few more times in the future).

The problem for me as I see it is that Disney will raise prices before, during, during, during, during, during, during, during... and after.

I get that World showcase still looks nice, that Disney has monorails and beautiful landscaping and ferry boats and all this stuff all over that cost huge sums of money to set up and continue to cost huge sums of money to maintain - that there are theme building elements at play that are top notch. That's why most of us became fans of WDW to begin with but today, it's mostly all stuff that's been there for decades.

If price increases were in line with inflation for the purpose of maintaining these wonderful things while keeping a healthy profit going, I don't think the complaints would be quite so high.

That's not what's happening, though.

As you said, maybe it's just a difference in opinion.

Just to clarify, since the post you quoted was a follow up to my original comment. I agree that the ticket you are purchasing should be based on what you can enjoy at the time you plan to use the ticket. Another poster mentioned that they were okay with the increases b/c UO was building and would have great stuff in the future.
My response was Both are building so that shouldn't be the measure that price increases are judged. Both have opened new/refurbished stuff this year and I am not trying to rank or put any weighting on personal opinions of that new stuff's subjective worth. Just that both have updated. So lack of news story for UO vs. the visceral reaction Dis gets for any price changes seemed strange.

Mike S

Bad E Ticket=Antarctica: Empire of the Penguins.
Fast and Furious Supercharged too.
PIRATES-15.jpg
Idk, I actually think it's amazing what they did. The facade doesn't say much but then when you go inside and get to the Bayou...

Wow.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1/3 of DHS is closed because of all the work they are doing.

Don't buy into the 1/2 or 1/3 closed language.

One of five rides was closed. That's 1/5 of the rides.

One major and one minor attraction was closed. They've since added a night show attraction and a daytime show. That's a wash.

They lost Streets of America. They upgraded several rides. That's a wash.

If there are internal reviews indicating poor customer satisfaction now, I can't imagine that the reviews were through the roof just because LMA and the Back Lot Tour were open and that saved the perception of the park.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not true in the slightest. It was to actually pay for the construction/operation of the attraction.

Yes. They did at times use some ticket designations as crowd control. But that is not why they exist.

I don't understand that at all. Please explain how a tiered ticketing system which forces a choice between the most popular rides pays for construction. Were those rides the most expensive to create?

Disneyhead'71

1/3 of DHS is closed because of all the work they are doing.
So, last year, they raised the price of DHS a lot and closed a bunch of stuff. So I am supposed to pay more now for a lesser park and just be thrilled about it because people in the future can get new stuff.

And @Katie G, you really don't see why people complain when Disney raises their prices and Universal doesn't get the same reaction? You keep saying quality is opinion and subjective.Disney is building extra tracks and thematic layovers for existing attractions and Universal is pumping out E Ticket after E Ticket. Are you really comparing Kong with TSMM's third track, or is it Soarin's third theater? Maybe a layover of a 27 year old ride system. So exactly what is it that Disney is opening that justifies the massive price increase since 2010? A kiddie coaster, a universally panned dark ride, and a retheme of a 27 year old boat ride? And shall we list what we have lost in that time?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So exactly what is it that Disney is opening that justifies the massive price increase since 2010?

Come on...you know very well they don't need to open new stuff to raise prices...if the demand is there, prices will continue to increase. You may not like it, but justification is not necessary. I will admit, however, taking the most recent attendance numbers into consideration, they may have reached the tipping point as far as how far they can really raise prices. Unless...you know...they are raising prices now to achieve lower attendance numbers on purpose. :)

Disneyhead'71

I don't understand that at all. Please explain how a tiered ticketing system which forces a choice between the most popular rides pays for construction. Were those rides the most expensive to create?
Yes, yes they were more expensive to create. To further explain in 1975, a D Ticket cost $.40 and an E Ticket cost $.85.

Disneyhead'71

Don't buy into the 1/2 or 1/3 closed language.

One of five rides was closed. That's 1/5 of the rides.

One major and one minor attraction was closed. They've since added a night show attraction and a daytime show. That's a wash.

They lost Streets of America. They upgraded several rides. That's a wash.

If there are internal reviews indicating poor customer satisfaction now, I can't imagine that the reviews were through the roof just because LMA and the Back Lot Tour were open and that saved the perception of the park.
Only 2 attractions, but they have closed off a huge chunk of real estate. Along with a CS restaurant in a park already short on dining options, a playground in a park short of things for knee high screamin' snot monsters to do, and.....***cough***Osborne***cough***.

No loss there, amirite?

Quinnmac000

So, last year, they raised the price of DHS a lot and closed a bunch of stuff. So I am supposed to pay more now for a lesser park and just be thrilled about it because people in the future can get new stuff.

And @Katie G, you really don't see why people complain when Disney raises their prices and Universal doesn't get the same reaction? You keep saying quality is opinion and subjective.Disney is building extra tracks and thematic layovers for existing attractions and Universal is pumping out E Ticket after E Ticket. Are you really comparing Kong with TSMM's third track, or is it Soarin's third theater? Maybe a layover of a 27 year old ride system. So exactly what is it that Disney is opening that justifies the massive price increase since 2010? A kiddie coaster, a universally panned dark ride, and a retheme of a 27 year old boat ride? And shall we list what we have lost in that time?

They are still paying for my magic + and pandora cost overruns which people obviously love so so so so much

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom