AVATAR land construction progress

Musicman20

wait a sec, they did parody Avatar?

I skipped Bill and Ted this year, and assume that's where it happened. I too, am curious to see how it was done...

Essentially, at the Bill & Ted show, they were basically doing the usual parodies of various events of 2016. This went into politics (not surprising) and even Star Wars.

Then, part way through, a woman in blue with a tail ran on saying something about having *** with her tail, I think it got brought up a few times. Obviously Avatar.

Then, there was a joke about no-one caring about the movie (I think because it's been out for a while) and a joke about the amount of time the park area was taking to build. I can't remember it exactly but something along the lines of: hey, welcome to Avatarland, oh wait, it's not ready yet, STILL, and no one cares.

It's all tongue in cheek. Universal seem happy to play with jokes about Disney, probably because they are seen as a more cynical and adult park, probably jealousy, probably because everyone at Universal secretly admires Disney and all of their park guests have no doubt been to Disney and always will. I LOVE both parks, but Disney wins on service, attention to detail (although WWOFHP is SO good) and general feel.

I'm sure they've made a joke about the EE Yeti.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. No, it's not a 'current movie', but it was a huge hit and the next one will help the park. I do think the whole idea is super cool for a park...I mean, not every ride needs to be built based on people loving the movie. I don't like Frozen so much but I still want to ride the Epcot Frozen ride!

twebber55

Essentially, at the Bill & Ted show, they were basically doing the usual parodies of various events of 2016. This went into politics (not surprising) and even Star Wars.

Then, part way through, a woman in blue with a tail ran on saying something about having *** with her tail, I think it got brought up a few times. Obviously Avatar.

Then, there was a joke about no-one caring about the movie (I think because it's been out for a while) and a joke about the amount of time the park area was taking to build. I can't remember it exactly but something along the lines of: hey, welcome to Avatarland, oh wait, it's not ready yet, STILL, and no one cares.

It's all tongue in cheek. Universal seem happy to play with jokes about Disney, probably because they are seen as a more cynical and adult park, probably jealousy, probably because everyone at Universal secretly admires Disney and all of their park guests have no doubt been to Disney and always will. I LOVE both parks, but Disney wins on service, attention to detail (although WWOFHP is SO good) and general feel.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. No, it's not a 'current movie', but it was a huge hit and the next one will help the park. I do think the whole idea is super cool for a park...I mean, not every ride needs to be built based on people loving the movie. I don't like Frozen so much but I still want to ride the Epcot Frozen ride!
i never see Disney taking a shot at Universal , interesting

Mr_Incredible

Yeah I figured it was B&T.

I really don't know about the "jealousy" thing. Imagine being an imaginer fired, and being a part now of a company that's throwing money at your ideas, fast-moving construction, and on the cusp of opening a third park? Sounds like a fun morale place to work for, as opposed to the slow trickle of Disney at the moment. For Christ sake this message board throws 180+ "likes" to Martin when he mentions Tomorrowland is getting some TLC.....that USED to be a Disney norm daily/weekly/monthly.

I don't think anyone disagrees Avatar land has taken VERY LONG from announcement to now...its a running joke here, at Orlando united, on twitter, everywhere....its not made up. Just tongue in cheek and funny.

As far as service and attention to detail....we just got back from a week at Sapphire Falls in September....service was incredible all around, Kong was fantastically detailed, Potter is insane, and their new resorts are gorgeous.

All in all, I agree avatar will be awesome! I can't to go see it, regardless of movie success - all that matters is a kick-butt park experience for us!!

danlb_2000

Premium Member

twebber55

You should leave the permit analysis to the experts, this looks like signs for the rides. :)

801 is Navi River Journey, 804 is Flight of Passage. There have been show set install permits for 800 so it might be a queue area.
well i almost PM'd you first LOL
i thought 800 were the ride numbers just didnt have enough confidence to pull the trigger

Last edited:

Prototype82

"That's so crazy, that's like...Disney building Avatarland crazy!"

"Coming in the year 2047" or something like that...

But that was 2 years ago. Didn't know the joke made a resurgence...I missed Bill and Ted this year.

Mike S

Even then, I picture it going down like this..

Guy 1: Where did all these bags of money come from?!?!?!?
Guy 2: I woke up and there was like 10 dump trucks and the money was just pouring out.
Guy 1: AGAIN?!?
Guy 2: Yeah, it was crazy
Guy 1: Oh well, call Bob and we'll tell him it happened again....
The deal is actually for much less than what the value of the brand is today. No idea what that number is but Uni apparently got it for a steal when Marvel was desperate for cash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom