News Tomorrowland love

MagicHappens1971

Are the two tracks in MK's Space different? I feel like they are basically the same but mirror images, but I'm not sure if there is some Matterhorn style variation between the two.
I don't know for sure, but I would agree from riding it that each track has a slight difference. I've avoided riding it for like a year and a half though, as it kills my back afterwards lol

MerlinTheGoat

trk_wdw_space2.jpg

Rob562

I don't know for sure, but I would agree from riding it that each track has a slight difference. I've avoided riding it for like a year and a half though, as it kills my back afterwards lol

They are mirror images of each other with one side having approximately 10' extra of track to facilitate them passing each other at the two places where they cross sides.

-Rob

roj2323

Sorry, I should have added that was also the plan. Re profiled turns and dips. Faithful to the original but smoother along all axis.

Ahh the perks of modern computer based engineering.

This reason alone is a huge basis for why a lot of Arrow Dynamics rollercoasters are now being removed. The modern equivalent just gives a much smoother ride because the way the ride feels to the guests can be modeled completely on the computer before manufacturing begins. Before Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) was a thing, a lot of the engineering that went into a ride's design was based on instinct, and long math.

sedati

Every time I see a "lights on" photo or video of Space Mountain I always notice how much empty space there is. Probably due to the open area above the switchbacks, the ride never went over that area (probably due to safety- don't want any loose items or even screws falling on guests below.) Now that it's been covered up I wonder if a completely new track could now go over that area and utilize more of the space within the dome?

Daveeeeed

Every time I see a "lights on" photo or video of Space Mountain I always notice how much empty space there is. Probably due to the open area above the switchbacks, the ride never went over that area (probably due to safety- don't want any loose items or even screws falling on guests below.) Now that it's been covered up I wonder if a completely new track could now go over that area and utilize more of the space within the dome?
At Disneyland Paris the line goes through basically from one end to the other. It would have to be more structural than anything as the entire ride would have to pretty much be gutted among other reasons.

*Q*

There's been mutter of a Tron something for that area. And no, not the coaster. Maybe an overlay of Buzz? Regardless, nothing is green lit.

That would be simply incredible if Buzz got replaced and CoP didn't. Especially considering that Tron is a much less popular IP than Toy Story.

Better Tron go into Tomorrowland than Epcot. I'd totally welcome the overlay. But then that begs the question: what will be the aesthetic difference between Future World and Tomorrowland. I recall reading from one of @marni1971 posts that Future World would basically inherit a much stronger Tomorrowland vibe. What will the differences be?

I actually think Tron is a better fit for Future World than Tomorrowland. I think Tron is one of the very few IPs that is 100% appropriate for EPCOT, one of the venues originally planned for CommuniCore was even a Tron arcade. Both EPCOT and Tron came out in 1982, and both introduced the core ideas and concepts of computers to the masses. They are (or were, in EPCOT's case) both something very much of the modern day that represents a step towards the future.

Even though it's yet another franchise that is set in the present, I still would very much support a Tron attraction in Tomorrowland, however, as it is certainly still a much better fit than Buzz or Stitch or MILF.

montyz81

That would be simply incredible if Buzz got replaced and CoP didn't. Especially considering that Tron is a much less popular IP than Toy Story.

I actually think Tron is a better fit for Future World than Tomorrowland. I think Tron is one of the very few IPs that is 100% appropriate for EPCOT, one of the venues originally planned for CommuniCore was even a Tron arcade. Both EPCOT and Tron came out in 1982, and both introduced the core ideas and concepts of computers to the masses. They are (or were, in EPCOT's case) both something very much of the modern day that represents a step towards the future.
I agree, but there weren't that much in the way of IPs in Epcot Center, that I recall anyway. It must have been a difficult sell to the companies sponsoring rides.

*Q*

I agree, but there weren't that much in the way of IPs in Epcot Center, that I recall anyway. It must have been a difficult sell to the companies sponsoring rides.

Well, the park wasn't meant to have any pre-existing IPs at all, I think Tron was just the rare exception because it fit so well thematically. Sponsorship wouldn't have been an issue within CommuniCore, which was meant to have a variety of sponsors and venues.

Seabasealpha1

Odds of that Space Mountain re-track anytime soon? I'm sure someones asked this already...and someones answered...but I'm checking up on this thread and I'm at work...trying to be stealthy...

Also...for what it's worth, I rode space mountain back in 2004 and it seemed like there was so much more happening at that time with the ride...seems like the effects and music were much stronger...

doctornick

Odds of that Space Mountain re-track anytime soon? I'm sure someones asked this already...and someones answered...but I'm checking up on this thread and I'm at work...trying to be stealthy...

No one has mentioned any that I've seen. I do get the sense, though, that they are trying to "fix up" MK in general and TL in particular prior to the 50th anniversary, so I hope *fingers crossed* that a complete renovation of Space Mountain may be part of that process.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Also...for what it's worth, I rode space mountain back in 2004 and it seemed like there was so much more happening at that time with the ride...seems like the effects and music were much stronger...

TDO had their chance several years ago, and they didn't take it, instead following their "less-is-more" philosophy regarding ride closures.

Absimilliard

Buried20kLeague- you stated that if they were to widen the vehicles there wouldn't be enough track space to accommodate Alpha and Omega.

WDW's Space Mountain originally ran side-by-side seating in the same rocket configurations on the same tracks as today.

I didn't believe it either. It's true. I've seen photos and read interviews with George McGinnis. Side by side seating was at Walt Disney Worlds Space Mountain at one time.

False. The original rockets were similar to Matterhorn Bobsleds pre current sleds in that you sat 4 to a rocket with two benches. One person would sit on the bench and the other would sit on his lap, similar to the log flume at parks around the world. Each guest would have a seat belt as a restraint. I did not believe it until I found a 1982 WDW guidebook at home and there, in plain sight: a picture of the original Space Mountain rockets with 4 guests lap sitting in each rocket..

They were changed in 1989 to the first rockets with individual restraints. They were the red nosed rockets and the restraint consisted of a U shaped lap bar. In 1998, they were changed to the current fleet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom